Welcome home, fellow Gator

...to the Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Page numbering in Word

Discussion in 'Gator Bytes' started by cocodrilo, Jul 8, 2018.

1. cocodrilo

cocodrilo GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I finally figured out, to number the pages in a document (with Word 2013), but to start the numbering with the second page after the cover page, you get into the menu and click "start with 0."

Okay, fine, so the page numbered 1 in my document is the first one after the cover page.

Now can someone please tell me how to get rid of the "0" on the cover page? I can find no way to do it. Thanks.

• Informative Informative x 1
  2. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Tampa
    An exhaustive search, taking 3.2 seconds, of the interweb found this article that gives several ways to do what you want. The normal approach I use is to use different sections but there are other ways outlines in the article.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    Thanks. I'll spend the rest of the afternoon and evening trying to navigate through and digest all the instructions in the article. I wrongly thought that there must be an easier way to number a damn document. But Word is so intuitive and easy to use!

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. anstro76

anstro76 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 14, 2008
    St.Petersburg
    Double click the top of the page, the header should open then delete the 0 then click on close header.
    Also update to 2016, worlds better

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    Doesn't work, because it deletes all the page numbers, not just the zero. But that's exactly the kind of thing that should work instead of a bunch of rigamarole for a simple task. But who am I to question Bill Gates?

6. cocodrilo

Apr 8, 2007
    The second time I tried it (don't know why I tried it again), it worked, so you were right. Thanks. The "0" is gone, and the second page starts with "1."

Now why don't they just say what you said, instead of writing a whole article of instructions (which BTW didn't work when I followed them)?

• Funny Funny x 1