Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Pac 12 title game crowd

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by spike718, Dec 6, 2019.

1. G8rNkoko

G8rNkoko GC Hall of Fame

Jul 5, 2008
    You are going the wrong way Utah.

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. mcogator

mcogator Senior

Nov 22, 2016
    Torrance, CA
    It's currently rainy and cold in Socal...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Notoriousgator

Notoriousgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Utah blows. I cant believe they were actually playing possibly for a playoff spot this late in the year. Im actually surprised they had any chance to be ranked top 4.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. AzCatFan

AzCatFan GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    The Bay Area is the antithesis of passionate college sports fans. It's a pro town only, and if you add up the crowds for the average Stanford, CAL, and San Jose State game, you might be able to fill up one stadium. Holding the PAC-12 Championship game, on Friday, 5 pm in San Francisco means the only fans at the game are those from each team. Zero local support.

Once the new Raiders Stadium opens in Las Vegas, there is hope the game will be moved. Not that the locals will support the game any better, but more team fans might travel to Vegas and make it a full weekend event.

As for tonight's game, not surprised. The game was too big for Utah, and Oregon was better up front on both sides. Ducks dominated the game, and too bad the Ducks laid an egg against Arizona State a few weeks ago. Had Utah won and made the playoffs, they would have been blown out by 30+ by tOSU. Oregon might have only lost by 10-14!

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. GratorGator

GratorGator GC Legend

Nov 14, 2015
    Utah is roadkill. Man are they an awful team relative to ranking.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. GatorDoc74

GatorDoc74 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Next year the championship game moves to Las Vegas, in the Raider’s new stadium. That should improve attendance, since it’s pretty easy to get a cheap flight to LAS from the West. Plus, as we know, there will be lots of other “entertainment opportunities” for fans before and after the game.

Remember how much the weather and the stadium sucked when the SEC Championship game was played in Birmingham? Moving the game to Atlanta was key. Perhaps the move to Las Vegas will help the PAC 12 as well, although I doubt there will ever be SEC-caliber fan passion for that game.

7. tundragator

tundragator All American

Oct 26, 2015
    Large Mormon population in entire state of Utah and Idaho

8. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    The game time is dictated by the TV networks, not the conference.

Personally, with the crowds for some of these smaller CGs, I almost think they should move them on campus. Play it on the campus of the higher ranked team.

I think it really makes the conferences look bad for their championship game to be played in front of a small crowd.

9. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    They’ll be pushing for 8, soon.

“The Pac-12's last Playoff game was Dec. 31, 2016. Its next opportunity won't come until at least Jan. 1, 2021.”

10. Swamp55

Swamp55 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    Tampa
    After watching SEC football all year, these two teams seemed very slow. Particularly, the pass rushers looked like they had concrete cleats on. (How many sacks would Greenard and Zuniga have in that league?)

11. mcogator

mcogator Senior

Nov 22, 2016
    Torrance, CA
    That's an understatement...

12. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Lots more wives than husbands though.

• Funny Funny x 2
  13. spincycle81

spincycle81 All American

Oct 10, 2015
    I shoulda been born Mormon

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. Swamp55

Swamp55 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    Tampa
    You must not yet have even one wife.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  15. DeBigLeezard

DeBigLeezard GC Hall of Fame

Feb 25, 2010
    When I was at Florida, I had a good friend of mine on the team who was a Mormon (Glenn Cameron; All-American linebacker). Truly great guy.
    He informed me that BYU is owned by the Latter-day Saint Church, while the University of Utah is run by the State.
    Also a lot harder to get into and STAY in BYU than at the University of Utah.
    I was told that BYU has a, "Code of Ethics" that all the students have to sign and truly follow...while the U. of Utah does not.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  16. DeBigLeezard

DeBigLeezard GC Hall of Fame

Feb 25, 2010
    I had another friend who was Mormon while at Florida. He told me that those men in the early days of church who had more than one wife did not really enjoy their status.
    He said he had a great-grandfather who lived with his wife and family in Salt Lake City. In his great-grandfather's journals, he was asked by the leaders of the church to be married to a second woman whose husband had died. Apparently, she was left alone with six small children and a farm to run 35 miles south of Salt Lake City...and the woman was unable to handle the farm by herself.
    Plus there were Indians in the area.
    This great-grandfather had to take care of his original family Sunday through Tuesday and then travel 35 miles on horseback on Wednesday to Provo to be with his other family Thursday through Saturday. (Work the second farm.)
    Needless to say, he did NOT like having two wives!

• Funny Funny x 1