Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

PAC-12 shakedown

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 62gator, Aug 2, 2020.

1. LLCoolJ94

LLCoolJ94 GC Hall of Fame

I love lamp

2. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    ;)

3. LAGatorDoc

LAGatorDoc GC Hall of Fame

Jul 29, 2012
    I was writing a really long diatribe, but I decided to scratch it to merely say, this is a generational issue. I see this same mentality in the medical residents we are training, and now they have unionized, and need to be catered to, spoon fed etc. They want to forego the training and skip to the glory because they deserve it. Both college athletics and medical school/residency are controlled learning environments and auditions for the next big show (NFL, being a doctor). I find it very tiresome dealing with this generation. There are obviously exceptions, but when I trained merely 10-13 years ago to now, the number of the entitled brats to hard workers in the medical trainees was 20%/80%, and now its 70%/30%. I bet its the same with the people willing to put the work/training to be great athletes.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  4. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Legend

Feb 22, 2017
    Been saying this for years... I'd like the same rules in basketball too.

In baseball, more and more of the top kids are opting for the three years of college. Minor leagues suck, and very, very few go straight from high school to the bigs. Very few go straight from college, but if you choose a school with good coaching, you can at least enjoy the perks that college life offers vs the grind of the minors for a few years, and hopefully expedite your trip through the minors if/when you get there. Not to mention the opportunity to get an education worth a few hundred grand in case the baseball thing doesn't work out, which for most it won't.

With a true minor league system, these kids will find that they aren't that valuable out of high school. The nfl has made it very clear they don't want them yet, and the majority of them will find that the nfl doesn't want them after college either. I do believe they could go play overseas if they want. They could also play arena ball or some other shitshow, but chances of getting to the league through other methods are pretty slim. They are not forced to go to college, but there is no better place for them to train, hone their craft, and showcase their talents for the nfl. They should be grateful for the opportunity and, if they aren't, they can kick rocks.

Like others have noted, I'm gonna watch Gator football either way.

• Like Like x 2
  5. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    There is certainly some truth to this....I also see it every day in the hiring process and the workplace.
    Ironically, the greatest exception often seems to be athletes....maybe not the top of the heap elite kids, but the other 90% that have had to grind to get where they are. They have been competitors, they have gotten up early to train and then handled their academics, they are accustomed to coaches and trainers pushing them hard. Work isn't foreign to them, fighting to the top is the norm. I know more than one organization that looks for former athletes almost exclusively

• Like Like x 3
  6. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    I'm a right wing traditional older conservative so this is going to sound shocking, BUT...
    I don't blame the players that much for this. As entitled as they are.

When the whole world sends you the message that "It's all about you",
    When the whole world lines up to see what hat you will wear to high school, and thousands+ of adults are following your every move,
    Then the result is this. It's all about you.

So yeah- the programs created this monster, and now CFB (and the NFL) needs to tame it.
    The NFL needs to begin a minor league system- kids can go there and ride busses and toil in obscurity.

Bama, Clemson, UF and even UCF will look pretty pretty pretty good in comparison.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. spike718

spike718 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    If I read the proposal correctly, they want 50% of the revenue for each sport to go back to the players of that sport. They don’t mention if it is gross or net revenue. Big differences. There are many issues with the request for sharing the revenue by each sport. Surprised it wasn’t mentioned here but there are only two sports at any school that may actually make revenue...football and men’s basketball (excluding UConn women’s hoops). That is it. And not all schools make money on football and or basketball. So if a sport doesn’t have any revenue/ negative income do the athletes (men’s swimming, women’s soccer, etc):have to pay anything back to the university for operating at a loss?

it was briefly mentioned on the first tab of this thread but there is a federal reg called title 9 that we are all familiar with. Required all scholarship athletes be treated the same, men and women, all getting the same benefits. Under the pac 12 proposal, the only athletes getting any revenue at all would potentially be football and men’s basketball. Thus, end of request because that would be illegal under title 9.

Below is a direct quote from the Austin business journal (I picked Texas as they usually are #1 for revenue):

“University of Texas athletics generated a record $223.9 million in revenue during its 2018-19 fiscal year.

In addition, UT sports reported a net profit of almost $16.5 million in 2018-19, according to the Statesman. As is the case at many other large universities, only football, men's basketball and baseball are profitable programs at UT.”

The quote not only shows the massive difference between gross and net revenue but that only two sports make any money at all. Most of the money made from football goes into paying for all the rest of the athletic scholarships players travel, equipment, tutoring, etc.

What these football players are asking for under their revenue plan is illegal under title 9 since no women’s sports would be getting paid any revenue. Technically, the football players are helping to fund the rest of the teams on campus. They take revenue from the school they would then be taking money from other sports program and pretty much ending women’s and other men’s sports as there would not be enough $ left to keep those sports going. Another problem for title 9.

• Like Like x 1
  8. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
  9. archigator_96

archigator_96 Senior

Apr 8, 2020
    As others have stated, people would still watch no mater how bad the product on the field would be. I wasn't around but did people not show up for our 0-10-1 season? More recently, the futility of Arkansas football still had fans in the stands for that poor product.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. recongator

recongator All American

Nov 26, 2017
    I think it’s bigger than a generational issue. I think it’s the direction the whole world is going to. Hell meet handbasket
    I’m not surprised it is happening but just the speed at which it is going

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  11. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Just not getting my hopes up; baseball is infinitely easier to social distance than football, and it's turning into a fustercluck.

12. DBCooper

DBCooper GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Hendersonville, NC
    Let them walk. Play with the best 85-man roster you have. Whose $’s built the facilities they live in, train in during the long offseason, practice in and eventually play in? How much would they have to pay to receive the coaching that eventually leads a very small percentage of them to the promise land (NFL)? What does it cost to provide the medical care, nutrition and special tutoring they receive? A minor league system would have them riding buses instead of a chartered airliner in most cases. All the above plus they can end up with an education many would never receive. What initial capital investment did they make in order to receive 50% of any profits? Their PAC 10 demands are about as weak as their conference.

The NFL does’t want or need to fund a minor league system.

I’m trying hard to keep California politics out of this post...

Last edited: Aug 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. LLCoolJ94

LLCoolJ94 GC Hall of Fame

You are exactly correct. The idea of Title IX was invoked a few times:

14. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    Title 9 encompasses more than just sports. It's a federal law that governs over any public institution that accepts federal dollars and is applicable to all students. So if something is done for athletes using those dollars it has to somehow be applied to the general student population as well.

Title IX is a federal civil rights law passed as part of the Education Amendments of 1972. This law protects people from discrimination based on sex in education programs or activities that receive Federal financial assistance.

15. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

It's not easy is it?

Just about everything happening around us right now is directly the result of politics - yet we're supposed to discuss it without bringing politics into it. I totally respect the tough job the mods have in trying to handle this paradox, and they've been doing an excellent job. We seem to have gotten a little more leeway than usual, and I appreciate that, because once it goes to THFSG they might as well just delete the whole thread.

• Like Like x 2
  16. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    These might work if the universities are promoting professional athletes. College athletics for me are for student athletes willing to do extra work besides academics in order to participate in competition with other schools for camaraderie, pride and glory. In your suggestion some will get paid like an employee. Others will get the scholarships. Where do you draw the line? I can see opening up more can of worms. The word "Unfairness" will be used a whole lot more. Also, you will have profesionals and amateurs playing in the same team. Then uncle Sam comes in to collect his taxes. The one's who are getting paid will complain about why they have to pay taxes. So the government starts charging taxes to schools. Do you think schools would want that?

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    I loved watching HS football. We used to go to the games when my kids were still in HS. Those kids gave 100% effort every game. Not for money or fame but for their family, school and friends.

• Like Like x 3
  18. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Cancel it everywhere then. I will be the first to "opt out" of my long-held season tickets if it becomes pervasive.

• Like Like x 1
  19. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    I wouldn't say the whole world. I would say the U.S.. Europeans are laughing at us.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  20. Brodeur

Brodeur GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    Diehards may still show up, but TV ratings probably go down and that's where most money comes from. That's what happened to college basketball as the quality dropped once players could go straight to the NBA or were only around one year. College football is probably less susceptible to that drop than basketball, but it isn't immune.

Everyone in college football besides the players treats it like a business; coaches, administrators, etc. The players are the main product that drives the business. If you don't like the idea of players getting paid, instead of getting mad at players for wanting to be treated like they're in a business (which they are), how about pointing the finger at everybody else that drove college football into the bloated business it is today?

• Agree Agree x 2