Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

PAC-12 shakedown

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 62gator, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007

Great point. If they want to go the business route colleges can set up royalties on future earnings

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. Matthanuf06

Matthanuf06 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 13, 2007
    College football players need to realize that they are not a valuable commodity. The commodity is the school. If all D1 players left and formed a league.... it would fail. And if all D2 quality players were now in the P5.... there would no change.

Compare that to the NFL. If all those players left and formed a new league, the NFL would die. The NFL requires the best players.

College players get love and attention not because they are good football players but rather they are representing the UF.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. antny1

antny1 GC Legend

Dec 3, 2019
    I've said something similar many times here before. Other pro leagues haven't gained traction in part because of what you said. If people believe in free markets then this athleticism these kids think is the be all and end all would have caught on at some point but it hasn't.

College football has the Foundation of 100 years of alumni, branding and infrastructure that was built and sustained on the backs of students, alumni, endowments and casual fans. The "student athletes" benefit from this as well as the obvious tangible benefits of education, housing, meals, training, etc etc.

If their product alone is the value why hasn't a successful semi pro league been formed yet?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. g8rtrucker

g8rtrucker VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Oh please, oh please, oh please.

• Funny Funny x 5
  5. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

^This

It really has no place in any message board with the word “Gator” in the title.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. beemerthegator

beemerthegator All American

Dec 1, 2019
    I think your sentiment, which is mine as well, is shared by a huge percentage of college football fans. We would passionately root for our teams, and watch them on TV at home or at get togethers, and go tailgate with our friends and fellow fans at home games if it were high school level players. The college game is far, far bigger than any group of athletes, administrators, or governing organization such as the NCAA or a conference office.

• Agree Agree x 6
  7. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

This is a great post. With the recent topic of Too Hot just a few posts above, I need to be careful here, but....
    ....this is a very unsurprising product of the “it’s all about me” mentality that’s been brewing in this country for the last 10-15 years. The players are not bigger than the university and the program in which they are fortunate to be a part. But clearly they now think they are. Didn’t used to be that way....

The facilities, training, diet and health management, top flight coaching, room, meals, books, and higher education used to be valued and appreciated. Now it is worth little to them, they’re being exploited, and need cash money to feel appreciated. This is all just another symptom of a deteriorating value system and we’ve all watched it steadily happen all around us.

It’s a damn shame and there’s probably no going back. I’ve stopped watching damn near all pro sports because of this bullshit attitude and all there is left is college sports. Watch how fast they’re screwing that up.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  8. G8R92

G8R92 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 5, 2010
  9. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. G8R92

G8R92 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 5, 2010
    I think these PAC-12 kids are being manipulated. What an opportunity to collect fees and manage a union of college athletes....

• Creative Creative x 1
  11. LLCoolJ94

LLCoolJ94 GC Hall of Fame

This is exactly correct. That was literally one of the most beautiful facets to college football: that these kids wanted to represent these schools. It separated college from pro ball in not a small way. In a sport where there was not a free-agency, you could believe that kids felt a passion for their schools. I think that fostered a connection between the fans--made up of largely of students and alumni--and the players. It was as though there was a mutual representation. The kids represented the school and the fans, while the fans showed up to represent and support the kids.

@Skink You are right. No one player or group of players is larger than the team or the program. I've said the when I taught at UF: If you don't want to be here, that's okay. That doesn't make you a bad person. But you need to leave. Because there are people who would love to have this opportunity, and those people deserve a shot.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Nailed it

13. recongator

recongator All American

Nov 26, 2017
    T
    Too bad you’re still not teaching there. Kids today need that dose of common sense. Sure as hell aren’t getting it at home or in modern culture

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    I agree with your post but the one thing I would say is the universities themselves helped create today's atmosphere. Coddling and catering to the athletes every whim has made them entitled. Building football only facilities with spas, barbershops and waterfalls has only feed the monster.
    It would be nice to see, but it won't happen, schools getting back to basics. Room, board, academics and safe training.
    I would like to see the arms race end. If would make perfect sense to have all school involved have the exact same operating budgets after adjustments for state and regional location.
    Have kids make decisions based off of strong coaching, strong academics and love for the school. Not who has the best e-sports setup in the lounge.

• Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

And I’d much rather watch those kids who are thrilled to be Florida Gators than a bunch of 5* ingrates who have been fawned all over for their abilities and think they’re bigger than our university.

Would I love to have top talent on our team? Sure. But as many have proven over many years, you can find plenty of athletes who love representing UF and also have plenty of talent. I want those guys, even if they only get 3* from the “experts”.

I wonder how much this factors into the recruiting decisions by our staff. Another thread has Zach Carter speaking up in support of these PAC 12 ingrates. Very disturbing. Wondering if he was recruited by Mac or CDM-Grantham?

• Like Like x 1
  16. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
  17. LLCoolJ94

LLCoolJ94 GC Hall of Fame

What do you tell someone who has managed to find him- or herself in a mess? You got yourself in, now find your way out.

I agree with the luxuries you have described above. I think that everybody here would love to support our kids. I think that's why we are here. I think we care enough to seek out a message board--a community really--to engage these topics. I think that we would all support our university. But continuing to support a never-ending arms race of opulence ain't it.

18. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    More info on the WSU situation
    Wazzu coach warns WR about joining unity group

Player tells coach he wants to opt out because he has a health issue which makes him high risk(sickle cell trait) perfectly legit. Coach is also good with the reason. Coach asks player if he is going to support the unity movement and he says yes. Player tells coach he still wants to be involved with the team. Coach says sorry but that would send the wrong message and resources need to be directed to players that are playing.

Player blames the coach for not wanting him there. ????? That seems a bit selfish to me.

If he truly has a health issue he needs to be away from the team. If he supports the unity movement then he needs to remove himself from the team.

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    If enough players support the movement, they will be the team... the coach will be the odd man out.

20. 96Gatorcise

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    The I would like to see WSU cancel their season. If you let the players run the show then the demands will never end.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1