Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

PAC-12 shakedown

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 62gator, Aug 2, 2020.

1. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Sarasota, FL
    Great question!

See this guy:

C992B3E1-E3FB-47E8-9ED0-EAA12AB83B28.jpeg

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  2. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I think @beemerthegator got it right though with post #94. They've come in at such a ridiculous level, the negotiation is over before it begins.

If they want to be treated like professionals they need to present something professional. Instead they presented a joke. They might lose everything, including what they already have. Hopefully the ADs and conference heads have more empathy than I do and use this as a teaching moment for them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. EbSaxman

EbSaxman VIP Member

Apr 14, 2007
    I wonder if they would be quite as fired up if they had to live up to the ‘student’ part of the equation. Say, below a 3.0 grade point average and your stipend is cut in half. Below a 2.5 and it goes away. And a set list of majors, classes and third-party testing.

• Creative Creative x 1
  4. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    If anyone is exploiting the situation- IMO its the NFL who gets a free farm system.
    And yes, it is unfair that a talented HS football player needs to go to college to go to the NFL. It would be better if there were minor leagues for the NFL.

HOWEVER...
    One thing no one has mentioned is the colleges contribution to these players labor value. Let me explain.
    To take a recent example, CJ Henderson was just here 3 years.
    He played in front of huge crowds, got flown all over the country, and had top-flight coaching, diet, etc.
    There's no doubt he benefited a great deal from us- and not just the free tuition, room board, stipend.
    He also got a wonderful environment with all of the amenities.

In a different world, with an NFL minor league, does Henderson progress like he did the past 3 years? I don't think so.
    So UF had a huge contribution to his success and his pay.

FURTHERMORE...
    He had an incredible experience, and that experience doesn't happen without us, the fans, attachment to UF.
    I would never have paid to watch CJ in the minor leagues. I wouldn't have spent a second watching him for free on TV.
    It was ONLY DUE TO HIS ATTACHMENT TO THE UNIVERSITY that his labor became valuable.

So what's the solution...
    IMO the NFL should set up a farm system. Then players can choose their path, like in baseball.
    But otherwise, players get "paid" plenty by the university in terms of the experience.

PS- I have no problem with the video game makers paying them after they graduate.
    But no to universities paying them directly.

• Like Like x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
  5. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    That place (Too Hot) has "no social redeeming value." Most there fester in delusional self-stroking group-think, and anytime anyone with a countering opinion wanders in, they feast like rats in a garbage dumpster and squash dissent. Don't go there. It used to be a place where you could be a little more controversial and do a healthy (yet still at least pseudo-respectful) deeper dive into discussing Gator-related topics. But, it has now morphed completely into a one-sided close-minded political toilet that has ZERO to do with the Florida Gators. It should be banished and excommunicated from Gator Country.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 7
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
  6. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Still a crooked model that needs to be ripped up.

7. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    So you ignore the point about private schools and the UAA. I am out I am certain my comments will get me a vacation shortly. Perhaps your inability to process information will get you one too.

• Like Like x 1
    • Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  8. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    Exactly my original statement was this seemed like an over the top opening offer in a negotiation

9. archigator_96

archigator_96 All American

Apr 8, 2020
    What about the schools that are barely breaking even or loosing money on football? Do the players then assume the financial responsibility of the losses as well?

Obviously the answer is no, so that suggests that they want some kind of tiered system that puts schools like UF, Texas and Ohio State in one category and the Memphis States and Vanderbilts in another category.

Unless the NCAA pools all the money together and shares it will all schools and all scholarship athletes and as Buford T Justice would say:[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. LLCoolJ94

LLCoolJ94 GC Hall of Fame

You mean like how you ignored all of the data illustrating your point is demonstrably false? YOU. ARE. WRONG. <95% of D1 schools could afford to do that. Hooray for the exceptions!! That number falls to <1% once you include DII and DIII.

Why are you even still here? I was told like 4-5 posts ago that you had no more to say.

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. TrueGator

Nov 11, 2014
    Or, maybe, you should actually have to meet the same admission standards as actual academic students?

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. LLCoolJ94

LLCoolJ94 GC Hall of Fame

I'm all for reconfiguring the corrupt NCAA. I don't think we are in the minority on this.

But that is a different argument and does not support the claims made by this petition/pledge.

Their ask is not reasonable. It is racist, ignorant and entitled. They ask to support only black kids. What about other races? They claim they are taken advantage of academically. Then why do so many programs have to institute class attendance policies? They claim they get nothing out of the scholarship. Then why do universities pay at least 3-6x more for them each year than any other student? You cannot claim that the scholarship does not provide you with academic opportunities, while not attending classes simultaneously. You also cannot claim that 24/7 tutors, free gear, food, room, books, tuition, medical care, world-class training and all of the other perks are worthless when you receive them for free.

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  13. GatorNavy

GatorNavy Anchors Aweigh Moderator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Space Coast
    Let's keep the dialogue civil, respectful and free from politics. I am enjoying the thread an would hate to see it closed.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

They don’t have to play. It’s their choice to Major in football with the hopes of becoming millionaires playing football. Others have the choice to play football while they get a free college education (by your numbers worth ~$200K).

Your argument that these kids are being done wrong just doesn’t hold water

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    For me, I buy UF jerseys or t-shirts because it has "Gators" or "University of Florida" on it. If I wanted to buy a jersey or T-shirt with someone's name on it, I go buy the ones with my favorite pro player's name on it. I'm not saying it's the same for everyone, but in my case my passion lies within the school and college football in general. I don't watch CFB because of a certain player.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Exactly who is “making” these kids play football?

I’m with @LLCoolJ94 — this seems to be about you wanting to feel badly for watching these kids play ball. There’s a lot of this BS going on these days - the need to feel guilty for something.....anything. It’s very strange behavior.

Nobody is making these kids play football in college. It’s their choice - all the way. Feel free to climb down off your silly soapbox

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 2
  17. archigator_96

archigator_96 All American

Apr 8, 2020
    This is kind of a weird idea but bear with me.

There are kids out there who would like to receive and education and degree in exchange for playing football. There are also kids out there who could care less about college and want to be paid and play professional football but currently don't have an avenue for that.

What if we satisfy both and let the player decide which path to take. Choose the traditional path and you get a scholarship and room and board and have to play for four years (or 5 if redshirt). Or, choose the professional path and get paid but no scholarship and no room and board. You have to pay your own way and pay taxes but you get to leave whenever a team wants to draft you.

Some would say that the same teams then would just get into a bidding war and get the best players. Well, those same teams do that already but it give another school an opportunity to out bid for said player.

For the kid who doesn't want to go the traditional route but isn't good enough to get offered the other path, he still has an opportunity to get the scholarship and play, just not in the way he would have wanted.

18. TrueGator

Nov 11, 2014
    "Released from team" ???? Leave it to NBC. They left the team. The players have said they are sitting out the season, so they don't get locker room facility access anymore... big deal. They are essentially on strike. Colleges can't bring in replacement players, so they should just cancel the season and revoke the scholarships, as the athletes aren't living up to their end of the contract.

Wonder if EJ Smith is second guessing his decision to go to Stanford now?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    I would also argue that the players are significantly over valuing athleticism as it relates to profit in CFB.

I don't watch CFB to see elite athletes. I watch CFB because I'm a Gator. If CFB was made up of nothing but walk-ons, I would still be watching it, I would still be buying Gator gear, donating to the UAA, etc etc. And I think most CFB fans are this way.

So it's not the players who are bringing in all this money. It's the program and the sport itself which brings in the money. If anything, it's the players who are exploiting the sport.

• Like Like x 6
    • Winner Winner x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2