Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

PAC-12 shakedown

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 62gator, Aug 2, 2020.

1. LLCoolJ94

LLCoolJ94 GC Hall of Fame

But you just did, friend!

• Like Like x 1
  2. GatorLuke

GatorLuke All American

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Give a player 2 options. #1 full scholarship and every benefit that goes with it or #2 give the player the amount needed yearly to pay for these benefits themselves (I know not good giving a young person estimated $50k/yr). Sometimes seeing what they get on paper helps with perspective. Another thing to reminder, this is amateur level sports. Single A baseball ride busses and essentially get squat for just about poverty level pay. If these amateur athletes do things right they will graduate debt free with a college degree with a very small chance to turn professional. Graduating debt free with a Bachelors degree is starting off the next stage of life ahead of the game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. spincycle81

spincycle81 All American

Oct 10, 2015
    unpaid internships and other jobs don't exist solely so the unpaid interns can do the unpaid work. College football exists solely so that the unpaid players can play. an unpaid intern in the other field would and could negotiate a salary if the business could not run without them.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Legend

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    From reports this quote:

“We’re not your entertainment, we’re human beings.”

‘We have no idea how it’s going to affect our body regardless if we show symptoms or not.’

Bingo.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    The scholarships come from taxpayer money? Holy crap you know nothing. University of Miami is a private school and at UF the athletic program is self funding thru the UAA.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. LLCoolJ94

So you are okay with paying only a particular subset of those whom are not compensated properly? Got it! Thanks!!

7. spincycle81

spincycle81 All American

Oct 10, 2015
    Sorry but I'm not sure what you're trying to argue. It doesn't seem like you responded at all to what I said.

• Like Like x 1
  8. LLCoolJ94

WRONG

Who actually funds intercollegiate athletic programs?

How Rising College Athletic Budgets Cost Taxpayers Millions Of Dollars Each Year

The Outrageous 5-year Rise of College Sports Spending

So basically, you're going to kill over 95% of sports in college just so you can enjoy UF play football. Think about that. And also about how you are wrong. Enjoy it.

Now, again, clean yourself up.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. LLCoolJ94

Dude, you are either okay with paying only a particular subset of people whose labor goes without compensation or you think everybody should be paid for their labor. Stop with this nonsense.

10. spincycle81

spincycle81 All American

Oct 10, 2015
    Very interesting. I wonder if you make this kind of false equivalency often in your daily life. Somehow I doubt it. you could respond to what I said elsewise I don't really have anything left to say

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    This is not their job, they are not employees, there is nothing to negotiate. They all willingly sign a full athletic Grant-In-Aid to play football at this level that clearly specifies exactly what they will receive. No one is forcing them to do anything. If they want to make millions like some coaches do, they’re free to pursue that as a career. That will require hard work, time, and a minimum of a bachelor’s degree though. So, they should take full advantage of the ride they have and complete their studies.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  12. LLCoolJ94

But why not resort to ad hominem attacks? In my experience, this is what people do when they have realized they have lost the point. The sad facet to this realization is the timing: you lost ages ago. In the words of Bruce Willis in Die Hard:

"Welcome to the party, pal!"

I'll miss you so much.

• Like Like x 1
  13. spincycle81

spincycle81 All American

Oct 10, 2015
    All right I mean I gave you three chances

This is dumb. So I guess I'll play ball. You asked why unpaid internships are okay and college football isn't okay. I said why I believe unpaid internships are okay and college football isn't okay. You answered me by saying something like "so you believe unpaid internships are okay and college football isn't okay?"

I don't know what I'm supposed to do with that.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
  14. gatorzilla91

gatorzilla91 Junior

Nov 21, 2014
    What about the rest of us that have to go to work every day? I’m a healthy young adult in my 20s and I sure as hell didn’t get the luxury of working from home during this pandemic

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. LLCoolJ94

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. spincycle81

spincycle81 All American

Oct 10, 2015
    Read the edit and respond. Or don't, again.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. gatorzilla91

gatorzilla91 Junior

Nov 21, 2014
    I thought the NIL was supposed to fix this. Is that not enough now?

How much money do 18-22 year old kids need?

18. LLCoolJ94

Dude are you making demands?!

[​IMG]

19. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Legend

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF

Don’t compare you to him.

Understand his perspective. I do.

Best of luck to you gatorzilla

Go gators

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. gatorzilla91

gatorzilla91 Junior

Nov 21, 2014
    Yeah you’re right. I have to pay for all of my stuff while athletes get everything handed to them. Tell me again how he has it harder than me?