Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

PAC-12 shakedown

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 62gator, Aug 2, 2020.

1. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Yeah man, Friday nights at the HS football games were special. Americana the way it’s supposed to be

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. LLCoolJ94

LLCoolJ94 GC Hall of Fame

I don't want to delve into politics here, lest this thread get relegated into Too Hot, but it is happening worldwide. US, Canada, Europe and Australia.

I have it on good authority that checking out Too Hot in the next few days might be a worthy use of time. Just to see.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Some “good news” on the way?

4. LLCoolJ94

LLCoolJ94 GC Hall of Fame

Some illuminating news, if not anything else.

On a side note, I may be getting the sack here soon.

5. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Excellent point

6. Nostradamus

Nostradamus GC Legend

Sep 18, 2015
    My son will be a freshman at WSU this fall. Would be a bummer if there’s no football, but agree that players need to learn that they don’t run the show.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. Gatorhead5

Gatorhead5 GC Legend

Apr 10, 2007
    If the players get paid, which is fine by me if it's relatively even, do they also have to report all the 'free' stuff they get (housing, food, medical care, strength training, etc.)? It will be interesting to see what happens when these single young men with no dependents and zero write offs see that tax bill...Cue the 'activists' blaming the system for not educating them about the tax codes.

20 years from now a study will be done showing how much worse off 99% of them are compared to the old scholarship system. Unintended consequences will rear its head like it's done so often with making things 'better'.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  8. G8R92

G8R92 GC Hall of Fame

Feb 5, 2010
    Surprised that the list of demands doesn't address the inequities on the defensive side of the field.

• Funny Funny x 6
  9. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    If they do get paid, will it be capped? Will marquee players get more? And/or pay players more so they stay for their senior season? If they don’t get more will this be governed? If they do get more will colleges then compete with the nfl?

A issue for football is there is no real minor league that pays players, like baseball.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
  10. antny1

antny1 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 3, 2019
    I imagine at least one reason for that is the massive cost of running a football team. Football teams require more players, staff and equipment yet have way fewer revenue generating games. The university system provides a foundation that can operate a football team even at a net loss. Once again this is a symbiotic relationship despite the exploitation rhetoric the players are using....

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

You are really off here friend . So wrong . They need to then be released from getting a free education.

• Agree Agree x 4
  12. spincycle81

spincycle81 GC Legend

Oct 10, 2015
    It's a complex issue and I'm open to being wrong, just wanted to say I really appreciate your tone, wing

13. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    But, why on earth should that be college football's problem to solve?

• Like Like x 1
  14. PITBOSS

PITBOSS GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    Agree, it’s not. But there is a growing impetus to pay cfb players. And a 18 yr old player has no other options to get paid for his football expertise which can be valuable. college has no obligation to build minor leagues - but pay/don’t pay players is a increasing problem for them. Not sure what the solution is.

my questions above weren’t rhetorical; if they pay them will it be capped? Etc.

15. sandmangator

sandmangator Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Makes no sense to me to pay amateur athletes. They already get so much for their commitment, which has been documented exhaustively here. Are you also going to pay baseball players, tennis players, swimmers, golf players, soccer players, lacrosse players, and softball players, too? Yes, you would have to do that. This would erase collegiate athletics. I don't think it will ever happen, nor should it, so I think that makes the cap question moot.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Gatorrick22

Gatorrick22 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Because giving most of these young men received an opportunity to earn a free college degree, many of which would never even qualify to sniff a college campus without the sport of football, is that not enough? SMH...

Give me a break... one tenth of a second faster in the 40 and many other high school football players, that never got that opportunity to get a free ride to Florida or some other D-1 college football program, would feel fortunate to even get into a University of Florida.

These kids are getting too much already!

Last edited: Aug 6, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  18. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

man I’m getting to like you more after each post. Well played

19. Brodeur

Brodeur GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    It's mind boggling this got so many agrees. Are you really asking if athletes have to report the value of strength training medical treatment to rehab from injuries? Obviously not. What you think employees at tech startups need to report the value of the free snacks they get in the office? Please...

• Disagree Disagree x 3