Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

PAC-12 shakedown

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by 62gator, Aug 2, 2020.

1. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. spincycle81

spincycle81 All American

Oct 10, 2015
    Sounds great, I wish them luck

Edit: some of their demands are over-the-top, obviously, but the idea of banding together to exert their power is long overdue

• Disagree x 7
    • Funny x 3
    • Winner x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    I agree with this. If this is a starting point and not the end point I think it is almost reasonable. College football and basketball make coaches and administrators rich while the kids who do the work get almost nothing.

• Disagree Disagree x 13
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Some of their demands are perfectly fine... then you get to this one...

"Distribute 50% of each sport's total conference revenue evenly among athletes in their respective sports."

and just have to LMAO. They're just trying to make themselves millionaires.

• Agree Agree x 6
  5. eastowest

eastowest GC Hall of Fame

May 13, 2007
    [​IMG]

• Like x 5
    • Agree x 4
    • Funny x 3
    • Winner x 3
    • Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. Gatorcola

Gatorcola GC Legend

Jun 14, 2014
    Title IX called and said no to this idia of revenue reimbursement.

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. G8R8U2

G8R8U2 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007

8. nolancarey

nolancarey GC Hall of Fame

Aug 16, 2009
    I don't know the facts behind the claim that athletes are being exploited academically. Can someone with more knowledge on the subject please elaborate?

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    So only the coaches should be millionaires. Honestly, I think they would be happy being thousandaires. To not see the exploitation of student athletes is mindboggling.

• Disagree Disagree x 9
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. spincycle81

spincycle81 All American

Oct 10, 2015
    I say pay them what the market dictates...if that's millions then so be it. But only so long as the athletes are afforded the same opportunity. They need to organize before they'll have a chance to be listened to.

Change brings fear, fear brings resistance. It won't be an easy fight... nobody ever wants to give up their power to anyone else.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  11. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Question is, should college remain amateur?

and also, as a gator alumnus, you could literally field a team of true students - pull them out of classRooms And/or frat houses- and I’d cheer regardless.

im of the mindset, To eliminate the exploitation of the “ college athlete” - let the nfl develop a minor league for the athletes wanting to be semi-pros and then, for college : let’s go back to true students playing in college.

• Winner x 8
    • Agree x 5
    • Best Post Ever x 2
    • Like x 1
    • Creative x 1
  12. g8rtrucker

g8rtrucker VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    This whole concept of exploitation is absurd. No one is forcing these kids to play against their will. They volunteer to play college ball and get a free education(of which only some of them avail themselves ) in order to display their talents to the NFL, MLB, NBA etc. They could just as easily get a job after high school if they don't want to play by the rules set forth for college scholarship athletics. This is NOT indentured servitude we are discussing.

• Winner Winner x 13
    • Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Guess what? Dan Mullen wasn't a millionaire when he played college football. He put in literally decades worth of work before achieving that level of success.

Now you just want to handout millions to everyone on every team? Your lack of understanding the concept of hard work and dedication is what is mindboggling here.

No one is forcing any of these guys to play college ball. They can quit tomorrow. They can pay their own way through school and/or train on their own for pro-ball. They have that choice.

What choice would you make? I would play CFB, get free school, free boarding, free food, and free world class training. I think that would be--by far-- the better option than trying to do it all on my own. And if other people are getting rich, so what? I'd be getting exactly what I agreed to get. That's not exploitation. Not even close.

• Agree x 6
    • Winner x 6
    • Best Post Ever x 3
    • Like x 2
    • Come On Man x 1
  14. LLCoolJ94

LLCoolJ94 GC Hall of Fame

HOT TAKE:

Racial injustice? Cool.

You want equal outcomes. Fine.

Black Americans represent about 13% of the American population. Therefore, to ensure equality of outcomes, each football team can field a maximum of 13% black players on their rosters.

Same for the rest of sports.

Enjoy.

• Like Like x 6
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Creative Creative x 1
  15. LLCoolJ94

Pretty racist. I guess the Latinos, Whites, Asians and basically everybody else can just kick rocks I guess.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  16. LLCoolJ94

Talk about privilege. I thought they didn't care about the academic scholarships? I was told that they are worthless, and that players need to be compensated in addition to that. No? Which other scholarship offers any benefits even remotely close to these demands? Serious question. I'll wait.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. LLCoolJ94

Honestly, I think they are overpaid by a whole lot.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. 96Gatorcise

96Gatorcise GC Hall of Fame

Aug 6, 2008
    Tampa
    I feel there is some legitimate gripe, some of these demands are over the top and non starters.
    The rebuttal is simple.

As the PAC12 we are willing to sit down and have a discussion. If you chose not to play, your scholarship will be revoked and you will be asked to leave campus.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  19. hotelgator

hotelgator All American

Jun 21, 2007
    Boston
    Oh boy!!!
    If there was no Pac 12 conference, would it ruin our lives? It's a fairly uninteresting product from top to bottom, the D alone is embarrassing.

Maybe UCLA can just dump that joke of a coach and his enormous contract!!! Thank all things Holy we hired DM!!!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. LLCoolJ94

Part of the problem is that they do not appear as interested in a negotiation. They have pointed a gun in the direction of the Pac-12 and are attempting to hold them up.