Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outstanding Article on Scouting Napier's Offense

Discussion in 'Awesome Recruiting' started by doctorg8r, Jan 25, 2022.

1. doctorg8r

doctorg8r All American

Dec 11, 2018
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 4
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  2. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

Thank you.
    I find it fascinating how offensive sets are like fashions. After a while what is old becomes new again. Adjustments on the D side create those changes.

There are a few things that make an offensive coordinator great.
    1. Know your strengths and use them. Have team rhythm and coordination perfect.
    2. Know the opponents weaknesses and exploit them. Create mismatches.
    3. Set up your play calling throughout the game in advance.
    4. Adjust during the game to your opponent.
    5. Create new plays out of previously used sets throughout the season. (NO ONE was better than SOS!)

Do those things and, unless you are totally out-manned, you are going to score a lot of points. More than formations, I really look forward to seeing how BN develops his O!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  3. propagator

propagator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  4. tommyvee

tommyvee GC Hall of Fame

May 16, 2007
    Thanks. Mods may want to move to SG.

5. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    But what about having 2 weeks to prep...uga?

Schemes are great, but one must adapt during the game. SOS was the master of it all. In 1996, at UT, with lead SOS threw the ball 10 times in the second half, ran an Emory and Henry on a big 3rd down w/ Terry Jackson getting the first down. UT kept looking for Danny passes and got Eli, T Jack and Fred.

Tebow's last game at UF was vs undefeated Cincy in Sugar Bowl. They expected the power run game of the 09 Gators and got passing Tebow...something like 35 of 38 passes completed.

• Like Like x 2
  6. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Wasn't the 2nd half of the 96 UT game where we didn't score the entire second half after leading 35-0? Not sure that's the best example of adapting lol

7. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    It was his best game ever in terms of passing yardage and also set a Gator record at the time, I believe.

8. tigator2019

tigator2019 GC Hall of Fame

Dec 25, 2018
    In my head--- UF
    It's worth a read. The vids are good too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. SeabudGator

SeabudGator GC Legend

Apr 23, 2014
    I believe every major college coach (yes, even Will Muschamp) can tell you all of these schemes, in detail. The difference between a Muschamp and a Saban:
    - Do you have the talent to run the various schemes? It is nice to talk about 12 scheme with tight ends that can block and flex, but if a TE couldn't block Marty McFly, it ain't a threat. And Gamble downfield? So what. Pitts or the Bowers kid at UGA? That makes that scheme VERY tough to D up.
    - Coaches that can teach schemes well. Every position coach has to convey the scheme to the players fast and effectively. The faster they can perform, the more stress on the D to match their speed and execution.
    - Flexibility - Will the coaches be able to adapt when a defense can match their preferred scheme? "Wide zone" is great but if the other team has 2 monster DTs, it ain't going far. Will the coaches adapt to the teams they face or pound a square peg into a round hole (either b/c they don't have the talent or have not adequately taught other schemes?). Think 2 years ago at UGA with them focusing on Pitts and Mullen running endless wheel routes.

Further, many new coaches talk about being "multiple", which is great but insufficient. They still have to get great players to effectively be multiple and have great assistants to teach those schemes in limited time. Where Mullen failed.

Basically I am saying it is process, not content, that determines success. I think Napier's focus on building up a full, high quality staff is the bedrock of, and hopefully predicts, success. Some may say "well many coaches build staffs" but it is hard to argue that Napier's staff is not the most impressive created this year, and certainly at UF in a long time. Further, the attention to recruiting details by staff indicates similar attention to scouting, facilities, conditioning, time management, etc that also are critical to running the above schemes. We will see but I'm optimistic not b/c of the scheme Napier might run but b/c of the way he runs the program - process. My biggest concern is whether Napier is flexible, but that is lack of knowledge more than anything.

• Informative Informative x 1