Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Lurk-
    You are the man!

2. WESGATORS

WESGATORS Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    You know, if the baseball games and the basketball game could have been moved to Baton Rouge this could have been easy on everyone. Enjoy it brotha!

Go GATORS!
    ,WESGATORS

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    No wonder we struggled yesterday---there is no excuse for the "what's cooking" thread to ever be on page 2...:eek:
    Beef Plate Ribs on the smoker with baked sweet potatoes, fresh squash, and fresh butter beans tonight along with a series evening up victory!

4. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Maybe this is all my fault.

Yesterday's game was at 5:00 so I had no time to cook anything before the game. I had a class to teach until 3:50 and then went straight home to pick up my youngest (21 year old son) and barely made first pitch.

And today I had to go to the 5 year old birthday party of the son of some dear friends and then went straight to the game from there. Again, no cooking for me.

Maybe tomorrow I should stay home and not go to the game and cook up something really good and have the game on the radio while I am cooking.

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Lurk-
    You are describing that thing we all do called Life...it's all good my man!

6. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    B-B-Q chicken halves, grilled cob corn, steamed cabbage with rice & diced tomatoes and chilies-
    Ice cold longnecks as needed...

7. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    So far so good.

• Like Like x 1
  8. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Cooking a clam stew/soup in a spicy lime/coconut base tonight. Kind of Thai style without being a traditional Thai dish.

• Like Like x 1
  9. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight's almost like a night off. We went to my Mama's for Easter today so I knew we'd be getting back between 4p-5p.
    That said, yesterday I cooked a pot of venison burger/mixed vegetable/shaved sweet onion/tomatoes and chilies soup "touched" with hot sauce. We will have it tonight with fine shredded sharp cheddar cheese over it and, oh yes, ice cold longnecks on the side...

10. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Yum.

I wanted to braise lamb shanks today, but that didn't happen. Maybe later. Not next weekend, though. USCe in town means I will be spending too much time at the games to braise anything.

• Like Like x 1
  11. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Chicken on the menu with the gamecocks in town this weekend?

12. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Let's make it whole birds....Beer Can Chickens it is!!!:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  13. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Roast those clucky Chanticleers!

14. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I will be at the games and won't be cooking.

But maybe I can cook early on Friday as it is a Reading Day and I don't teach so I have the afternoon off.

Chicken tangine sounds good. (A North African dish that is really tasty.) Beer-can chicken is really good as well. Smoked chickens (if you commit to smoking one, why not do 2 or 3?) are also awesome.

Maybe the last choice is the winner. Then I will have chicken to eat all weekend and I can go to all the games.

Or maybe cook chicken tangine on Friday whilst smoking a number of chickens for eating Saturday and Sunday.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Going with an inside dish tonight for premium TV time. Baked Mexican Chicken Casserole--put it together in a large frying pan then transfer to an oven safe dish. Seared boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into bite size pieces and season to your taste), shaved onion, yellow & white whole kernel corn, rotel tomatoes, black beans, taco seasoning, and cream of chicken soup. Lay crushed tortilla chips and shredded Mexican cheese in the oven dish and add half the mix. Repeat with the other half, cover with foil and bake @ 325 for 25-30 minutes. Let it sit 5-10 minutes. Garnish with Salsa and sour cream or your choice of topping.
    Pacifica longnecks go well here.

• Like Like x 1
  16. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I am eating leftovers: stuff ancho chilies stuffed with potatoes, Monterrey jack cheese, and chorizo. Since I had left over chorizo and potatoes I had also made a kale/potato/onion/chorizo soup/stew.

Got to get going to the game soon.

Dishes will wait until I get home.

• Like Like x 1
  17. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Just add a bit of cilantro and I will be over to your place!

18. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Sounds like a plan!

19. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Cooking chicken tangine tonight.

Not going to the game tomorrow. My dermatologist would approve of that decision. Instead I will be braising lamb shanks with a pomegranate based liquid (pomegranate molasses and pomegranate juice) whilst listening to the game on the radio in the comfort and shade of my own house.

• Like Like x 1
  20. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Damn.

This thread slipped to page 2 in my browser!

Tonight was nothing special, except that the very simple side is totally awesome once you can get fresh corn and fresh tomatoes.

This corn/tomato scramble first sautes thinly sliced white parts of a bunch of scallions, then adds the kernels sliced off of 8 ears of corn until they are cooked.

In the meantime two big tomatoes are sliced into bite size pieces and are marinading in olive oil and apple cider vinegar.

Mix the two together once the corn has cooled. Salt and pepper to taste, but I have to admit that I add the salt and pepper at each stage and not only at the end. Also add thinly sliced green parts from the scallions.

Three adults polished that off. It is so simple, but it is so good with really fresh corn and tomatoes.

And I grilled some chicken legs and changed the sauce that I use in this simple dish. Normally I use, and you are going to laugh out loud at this: Kraft's Original BBQ Sauce. Today I used KC Masterpiece Original.

Going back to Kraft next time. The KC was fine, but something about the Kraft version harkens back to my childhood. And I know exactly how to grill with it.