Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Black-eyed peas with the ham bone from the smoked ham @ Christmas accompanied by candied yams, fresh turnips & mustards, and baked potatoes to go with bar-be-crewed 1" thick center-cut pork chops here...Happy New Year everybody!!!

2. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    Wife did a ham and I went outside and fried the turkey. Had a the stuff to go with it. Yes Bill black eyed peas with ham in the crock. Had the big meal New Year's Eve the the greens and peas today.
    Tommorrow leftovers with a fresh batch cabbage and mushrooms. Col beer too

• Like Like x 1
  3. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    It was my first fried turkey. Son got me the deep fryer for Christmas. 30 qt

4. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Sounds like you hit the long ball---outstanding! And a plus plan for the leftovers!! I wonder what the po'folks did---

• Like Like x 1
  5. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I don't have one but I have had many a deep fried turkey. We had a friend that had a side business for doing them during the holidays.

Now I grill them. Quick and so good.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Two nights ago we finally finished off the Christmas pork loin roast. We had one "rib" left after Christmas dinner and one round of leftovers. I used the remaining rib to make escarole soup. This is how you do it. Heat up a little bit of olive oil and saute some garlic and fresh oregano, then add chicken broth and bring to a boil with some orzo. After a few minutes add thinly sliced escarole and let it do its thing with some grated Parmesan cheese until the orzo and escarole are cooked to within a minute or two of perfection. Add fully cooked and chopped pork and simmer a bit longer. Ladle it up and add some more grated Parmesan cheese.

• Like Like x 1
  7. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    U had me at the garlic and oregano sauté

8. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    John-
    He had me at "this is how you do it"....

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Good inside dish for cold weather today---Chicken Alfredo and fresh salad. Put your chicken alfredo together as you are accustomed to. Have a fresh bunch of broccoli tops cut up and set aside. With fettuccine taking 12 minutes to be ready, at 8 minutes add your broccoli tops in for the last 4 minutes. Rinse those together and then stir into your chicken alfredo, heat until it starts to bubble. Serve & enjoy.

10. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight I am making a chicken tagine. It is a North African style dish and you'd like it if you like chicken, fennel, brined olives, cumin, paprika, cilantro and cous-cous. You southern boys should trust me on this one. It is delicious.

Tomorrow my wife is making shrimp and grits. So good and a true Southern dish from South Carolina.

• Like Like x 1
  11. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    You bet Lurk- Shrimp and grits are one of my girls favorite dishes. And yes, I'd trust you on anything you cooked....

12. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight it's backstrap stew---cut it up like beef stew meat, season-flour-and sear. In your pot add shaved onion, carrots, chopped up celery, and cut up potatoes...I prefer red potatoes with a couple of packets of McCormick's Beef Stew Mix. Rock'N'Roll on low until all the col'beer is gone and the cornbread is ready....Enjoy!

13. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I am assuming the back strap is venison.

I used to eat at a place called Cafe Bohemia in Chicago.

You could get all kinds of exotic game meat there depending on what was available: bear, moose, elk, and beaver were common and even African meats like hippo, zebra, lion, etc., on occasion.

14. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    You are correct-venison it is. I've had bear, elk, mule deer, and pronghorn but never anything from Africa.

15. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Having some company over.

3 T-bomes and 2 Rib-eyes. Scalloped poblano potatoes. Escarole and endive salad with roasted red peppers and other stuff.

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight it got dialed back a bit, but very delish.

First I poached some rapini while grilling sweet Italian sausage. During that garlic and a a couple of anchovies were sauteed in olive oil as well as cooking some penne in the leftover hot water from poaching the rapini.

It all gets mixed together and sprinkled with freshly grated Parmesan.

17. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Two huge slabs of St. Louis cut ribs with a Memphis-style dry rub just started getting smoked. Should take about 4 hours, but sometimes it goes a little faster.

One slab will get a second helping of rub at the end and one won't. My wife prefers hers with not as much crust and I like it either way, but do enjoy that final caramelized spice on the outside. Sometimes I make a special rub with much less salt and cayenne and more brown sugar for "finishing" the ribs, but I had enough left over rub to use that I didn't make it this time.

• Like Like x 1
  18. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Simple for the Super Bowl--Grilled wings and several assorted trays for dips. If you'll cut your wings up ahead of time and let them soak in a sink of cold water for an hour the fresh cuts on each end will soak up the water so they won't dry out on you on the grill.

19. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    There's a football game tonight?

I am still delirious over yesterday's basketball game and looking forward to Opening Day on the 17th, or is that Opening Evening?

• Like Like x 1
  20. gatorbogey

gatorbogey GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    What's on the menu for the coming season? Theming the food for the individual visitors? E.g. Chicken for the gamecocks?