Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'GatorGrowl's Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight I’ll be frying fresh catfish seasoned with Everglades seasoning, coarse black pepper, and Old Bay’s seasoning.

Our sides will be Ms. Jan’s homemade coleslaw, cheese grits, and hush puppies.

Had a couple of “ cool down” beers after getting off of the lawnmower but for the evening I’ve got a tumbler of Elijah Craig. Ms. Jan’s sticking with her chilled wine.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Like Like x 2
  2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Today I am grilling chicken thighs on the KJ. Sadly no Pat's Ho-Made BBQ sauce. Using Stubb's Original instead.

Also made a lemony potato salad.

• Like Like x 1
  3. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we’re being treated to Ms. Jan’s smother fried cubed steak and gravy. Our sides will be homemade mashed potatoes and gravy and fresh zipper peas.

I’m sure that I will be asked to fry cornbread to go along with.

Finished the yard work this afternoon and the ice cold longnecks sure hit the spot. Ms. Jan is sticking with her chilled wine.

• Like Like x 1
  4. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    My wife is making an Asian dish with fried tofu cubes. I don't know all the details but I helped in the pressing of the tofu to get it really dry before frying in a wok.

My task is in making a Thai salad with cucumber, Thai bird peppers, garlic, rice wine vinegar, fish sauce, sugar and chopped peanuts. I think that I have some Thai basil to add to it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Early night for us tonight as we’ve got to be in Tallahassee in the morning @ 7:00am our time for three follow up appointments with our “getting old” doctors…..

We’ll pick up pizza this evening from Pizza Hut, Fat John’s is closed on Sundays.

6. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    So sorry that Pizza Hut was the best option.

Today I made pesto with basil from my garden for a sauce for spinach and ricotta ravioli. A tomato and cucumber salad will be the side.

I really liked the Asian cucumber salad I made and experimented today with a rice base for it. I made Texmati rice and added toasted sesame oil, black vinegar and soy sauce to it. Really good.

• Like Like x 1
  7. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Over here it is really poor pickings when Fat John’s is closed (to me anyway)—and they are closed Sun-Mon. Outside of them we have Pizza Hut, Dominos, and Hungry Howie’s…..ugh!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2023
  8. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight I’ll be grilling thick cut bone-in pork chops indirect over cherry wood smoke.

Inside we’ve got some fresh zipper peas and Ms. Jan’s going to fix a platter of freshly cut potato logs seasoned with salt, pepper, garlic, butter, and sautéed Vidalia onions.

It’ll be ice cold longnecks out by the grill for myself and Ms. Jan will enjoy her chilled wine.

• Like Like x 1
  9. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we’re having Mongolian Beef stir fry over fried rice. Sure is both hot and humid here today.

We have another trip to Tallahassee tomorrow (actually a return from yesterday). Even though I had my letter from them in my hand for my scheduled Echocardiogram at 8:00am EST (7:00am to us) they said that I wasn’t in the computer as on the schedule therefore they would have to reschedule.

At first I was polite, then I was annoyed, then I told them what I really and truly thought of the computer world that didn’t consider common sense….. I still have to go back tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  10. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Chicken cacciatore tonight.

• Like Like x 1
  11. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight I will grill some sirloin filets on the KJ with a cream cheese, serrano, and rice wine vinegar topping. Not my favorite kind of steak but it was on a good sale and the topping will hide some of the metallic taste that I get from sirloin. I much prefer ribeye and NY strip steaks but I only buy them when they are on sale. Also making a leek and potato soup and a salad.

• Like Like x 1
  12. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we’re keeping it simple but good. It’ll be chili cheese dogs this evening.

Ice cold longnecks and chilled wine will be our choices for the evening.

• Like Like x 1
  13. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Defrosting some Bolognese sauce I made a while ago for pasta tonight.

• Like Like x 1
  14. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight I’m grilling chicken halves seasoned with coarse black pepper and Everglades Cactus Dust. Baked potatoes will be on the top rack.

Our other side will be freshly steamed green cabbage.

Kentucky and Moscow mules are on tap for this evening.

• Like Like x 1
  15. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Leftovers!

• Like Like x 1
  16. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Finally going to our friends' house for jerk chicken pizza. We defrosted several pieces for the occasion. At first they thought it was covid but it was strep throat that ran through their house. I wouldn't want either one.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  17. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight it is chicken tinga for tacos. Made some pickled red onion as a topping.

18. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    LOL.

Was starting to cook chicken tinga and then I could not find the boneless and skinless chicken thighs that my wife bought. Turns out that she has them in the fridge at her law office. Going to be a late dinner.

19. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight I’ll be grilling thick cut bone-in pork chops seasoned with coarse black pepper and Everglades seasoning indirect over applewood smoke.

Inside Ms. Jan’s making her homemade Mac & Cheese and fresh zipper peas.

Ice cold longnecks and chilled wine are our choices this evening.

• Like Like x 1
  20. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we’re having Ms. Jan’s pot roast and gravy, a pot of white rice, and a fresh pot of cream 40’s & petite butter beans.

I will fry the cornbread.

Adult beverages will be available if desired.

• Like Like x 1