Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

I think we all do something similar from time to time @scooterp—we do a similar light supper as well. Ms. Jan likes Cobb salad so she’ll build her version of that and I grill chicken breast usually seasoned with coarse black pepper and Everglades Cactus Dust.

Lord, I’d have to be frying some cornbread up to go with those Cajun black eyed peas!

We also will have breakfast for supper occasionally.

• Like Like x 1
  2. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    The breakfast for supper was actually under consideration yesterday. We do it every now then as well. Love it. I just needed some leafy green veggies and such after gorging on the chili for a few days. It did the trick. I don’t feel like a wounded elephant today.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we’re going to have fried cubed pork steaks, petite butter beans and sweet whole kernel corn combo. A pot of white rice topped with Rotel tomatoes will round the table out.

I like to put my own corn and butter beans combo together because I know that I am using young/tender vegetables. The pre made succotash that is readily available always tastes like older don’t let it go to waste vegetables—at least to us.

Very pleasant day here today and the longnecks are ice cold with the wine also being chilled.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Like Like x 2
  4. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we’re going to have Chicken Alfredo. We like to add fresh broccoli tops steamed al dente.

We will have a freshly made Romaine salad topped with vine ripe tomatoes. There will also be a basket of Five Cheese Texas toast on the side.

The back deck is open and restocked for your evening.

• Like Like x 1
  5. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Tacos and Mexican skillet corn tonight.

Gainesville was pretty much spared the wrath of Ian. Not much rain and top winds of about 55 mph.

• Like Like x 1
  6. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Good for y’all Lurk, good for y’all.

7. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Have yet to see pictures from Sanibel. Fort Myers Beach didn't get hit as hard and it reminded me of Mexico Beach after Michael. Damn.

When I was in grade school we usally took summer vacations to Fort Myers Beach mostly for fishing. I can still remember taking the ferry out to Sanibel. Lots of fond memories of those places. Makes me wonder if they will reinstitute a ferry service whilst the bridge gets repaired.

8. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    Thank Goodness! Hope everyone is safe and damage minimal

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Thanks, but I think the damage statewide is not minimal.

And thinking that not everyone was safe.

Lots of people in southwest Florida thought the storm would go further north. I know that I did but I have lived in Florida since 1982 and know that hurricanes have a mind of their own.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    Years ago we were watching coverage of Hurricane David hitting Charleston (my wife was raised there and I was living there when we met). We see these two idiots running around on the Battery during the storm. My wife suddenly said “Oh my God, that’s [her brothers]!

And yes, they ended up graduating from UGA

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    I’m from Clay county and have family all around Jax. So far, so good.

Tonight, I defrosted some of the Sunday Sauce from last week. So, sauce over thin spaghetti, with garlic bread and tossed salad, it is! No wine unfortunately… but have to indulge myself with this meal every week. The wife gets annoyed with it …and go figure, she is the Italian and this sauce is her “older” families recipe (with a few modifications). But whatever. I made her a salad with some of the grilled chicken from yesterday. She’ll be fine.

• Like Like x 1
  12. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I am poaching a chicken to be shredded for enchiladas. I have also roasted, peeled, deveined and seeded some poblano peppers for making rajas as part of the enchilada filling.

Tomorrow I am smoking two pork shoulders (one 4 lbs and the other a bit over 5 lbs) for pulled pork. Some is going with us to a friend's house for pulled pork sandwiches and some is being held in reserve for pork enchiladas. Our friends eat early so I will have an early start to the day.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  13. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    Our 27th anniversary today, but actually celebrating tomorrow …on our way to Lake Placid in the morning. Lots of dining options.

So tonight having a meatball sub with sautéed onions a sprinkle of Parmesan, pinch of oregano and topped with provolone… chips & a pickle.

• Like Like x 2
  14. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Congratulations on your 27th @scooterp! We rang in #49 earlier this month as well!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we’re going into town to have supper at NY Pizza & Wings.

They have a good selection of col’beers (draft and bottles) and wines.

• Like Like x 2
  16. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we’re going to Alan’s for supper. He’s grilling pork chops with an apple Dijon glaze and roasted fall vegetables. There will also be a fall salad on the table.

Kinda cool and breezy here this afternoon/evening but very pleasant.

Plenty of choices of adult libations are available for your relaxation.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    Arrived in Lake Placid 11:30 this morning. Unexpectedly, they were able to check us in early. We had drinks on the deck at The Cottage for a little over an hour. Right across from the Mirror Lake Inn. Fabulous place for an early afternoon refreshment.

Then ate at the Pickled Pig around 4. I had a cup of chili, as always (have to try everywhere it’s on the menu), and their Crack Burger as a meal. It was 2 “smash burgers” with pickles & onions …and totally lived up to its name. Mrs Scooter had pulled pork tacos and was a little annoyed because I loved them as much as she did.

Ended the night sitting around the large fire pit at the Crown Plaza sipping Cab. Overall, a wonderful day and great food.

She is well aware that we need to shove off by 7:30 tomorrow morning so I have enough time to get my game face on before the noon kick off. After 27 years …she understands. Sort of …Lol

• Like Like x 1
  18. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Today all of our family will be together for supper. Ms. Jan has my Mom’s Sunday pot roast and gravy already smelling up the house.

Our sides will be homemade mashed potatoes covered in butter and gravy. We will also have a pot of fresh white acre peas, petite butter beans and whole kernel corn combo, and a pan of homemade cornbread.

Another pleasant day and choice of adult refreshments are available.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    Damn, that sounds good. I miss me some white acre peas. I can’t find them up here.

Arrived back home an hour before kick off. The grill is going. Tonight, a couple of 8 oz filets, just salt and cracked pepper, Loaded baked potato, steamed broccoli drizzled with lemon butter and side salad.

Go Gators

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    Spicy Korean pork (bulgogi) for tonight …with sautéed spinach and rice on the side, as well as a bowl of spicy green onion salad. Pork is marinating and everything else prepped and ready to go.

• Winner Winner x 1