Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Sorry. Bare with me. I just love wine and wine pairings and your dinner sounds great.

Sauvignon blanc is a good choice especially West Coast ones versus New Zealand ones that I find a bit too "grassy" for this dish. I think the New Zealand ones are really great with a clam sauce without tomato or cream. I make one with clams, butter, olive oil, garlic and flat leaf parsley. Really simple with clean flavors. Nobilio from NZ at Publix is cheap and works well.

And a Sancerre from France would be delightful but pricey.

A wine that is getting easier to find that I think would be great with this dish is an albariño. Another one is a viognier. If you like sauvignon blanc and are willing to spend just a few dollars more you might try these varieties. They are a little different but in the same ballpark.

Finding them at your local Publix will be a challange but if you have a Total Wines and More you can get them.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I had a brilliant cooking solution tonight.

I was making the jambalaya and it was essentially done and some of the rice was sticking to the bottom of the pot almost to the point of being burned.

I poured about a tablespoon of vermouth into the pot and totally deglazed it and left it open long enough to flash all of it off.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  3. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight I’ll be grilling bone-in country cut ribs indirect over cherry wood smoke seasoned with coarse black pepper and Everglades seasoning. Pat’s Homade on the last two turns.

Inside our sides will be a pot of fresh petite butter beans and white rice topped with Rotel tomatoes.

The yard is cut and the longnecks are ice cold. Ms. Jan’s wine is chilled and ready for her.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Like Like x 1
  4. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    Leftovers tonight. Polishing off the rest of the red clam sauce. Garlic bread & tossed salad as sides again as well.

• Like Like x 2
  5. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Getting Thai take-out tonight.

• Like Like x 1
  6. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight we are finally making the enchiladas out of smoked chicken. I had to go to the local Latin market for decent green enchilada sauce. Made a bunch of rajas (charred, seeded and peeled poblano peppers cut into thin strips, sauteed onions and garlic and some oregano) as part of the filling.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  7. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we’re going to have another round of Ms. Jan’s 15-bean hambone soup keeping the kitchen easy to clean up. Five Cheese Texas toast will be on the side.

Tomorrow morning we’re heading north to visit our family in Jasper, Ga.
    It’s been a while since we have been up to see them so we’re looking forward to it.

Low key evening this evening with an early morning start planned.

• Like Like x 1
  8. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    Finished off the rest of our grilled white clam pizza from yesterday for lunch.

Tonight keeping it simple hamburgers & home cut fries.

Go Gators

• Like Like x 1
  9. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Smoking a four pound prok shoulder for pulled pork sandwiches. There is some leftover Carolina slaw from last week for a topping. Just enough left for garnish and not as a side.

My wife said that she would bring home some fresh corn for skillet corn. I make it several ways and I don't know what she will want. My favorite is Mexican style, but it doesn't quite go with Western North Carolina pulled pork sandwiches. Another way I like we call corn scamble but it will need scallions and tomatoes.

• Like Like x 2
  10. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Over six hours out and still not there for a four pound pork shoulder. We always cook them by temp and not by time. Each one is diferent.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Sent a lot of pulled pork home with a good friend. He is a great Gator but had to wear USF regalia at the game. He is a compliance officer at USF.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2022
    • Like Like x 2
  12. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    We had chicken tinga tacos Friday night which were excellent. Using some of the left over pico de gallo and having a standard taco salad with beef.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    We’ve got two girls under the weather up here today so tonight we’re going to have a pot of chicken’n’rice and hopefully it will set well with them.

Beautiful weather since we’ve gotten up here-mid/upper 70’s to mid/low 60’s in the evening.

Sunrises and sunsets are equally beautiful on the mountain. Coffee in the mornings and choice of cocktails in the afternoons/evenings is working great.

• Like Like x 1
  14. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    Tonight, a big batch of Sunday Sauce with meatballs and sausage. Starting hour #3 and just put in the last meatball dump. Should be good to go in another hour & a half. Garlic bread and tossed salad on the side with a glass of red.

I don’t know how hungry I’ll be. I’ve already taste tested 4 meatballs.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Made chicken tagine for dinner tonight.

• Like Like x 2
  16. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight I am making chili for dinner.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    It’s leftovers here, boys. I made a ton of sauce and 3 dozen meatballs.

I freeze a few small containers of the Sunday Sauce for pizza later down the road. And the meatballs in pouches of 4 & 5 at a time for meatball subs. Then another container for another meal. Wash, rinse, repeat every 4-6 weeks or so.

So same as yesterday, Spaghetti with meatballs, garlic bread and tossed salad with a glass of cab. No complaints.

• Like Like x 2
  18. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Kayla and Magnolia both are doing better than when we arrived—that said today we are going to work on our leftovers so that perhaps our bunch will feel better about a freshly cooked meal tomorrow.

Very pleasant weather up here so far. Outside deck afternoon/evening activities with choice for refreshments.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I'd like to poll "The Gang" here about your favorite ways of preparing shrimp.

Thanks in advance.

20. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I am making a shrimp dish tonight. It is a creamy sauce with sundried tomatoes, roasted red peppers, red chili flakes and basil served over penne.

Garlic shrimp is also awesome.

I make a pickled shrimp with fennel that is great.

Shrimp scampi is a classic.

And shrimp and grits is fantastic.

I won't even get into using shrimp in Thai curries.

The list goes on and on.

• Agree Agree x 1