Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Ms. Jan drove one of her friends to a doctor’s appointment yesterday over to Tallahassee. While she was over there she went by Honey Baked Hams and picked up a ham and a couple of their Ham Bone Bean Soup packets.

Tonight we’re going to have their ham (to us it’s a lighter, sweeter ham than the ones I smoke and pretty dang good in the summertime).

Our sides will be freshly stewed yellow squash and onions and leftover green beans and new potatoes from last night.

The back porch is open, the Yeti is restocked, and Ms. Jan’s wine is chilled.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Going to smoke some Memphis style dry rubbed ribs. The KJ is coming up to temp and the ribs are rubbed. I just use freshly ground black pepper (I use an electric coffee grinder), kosher salt and dark brown sugar as my rub. I apply the KISS principle: Keep It Simple, Stupid.

I also rub about an hour before I put the ribs on the grill. The salt helps by drawing water to the surface that then get reabsorbed during cooking keeping the meat juicy. This Cook's Illustrated article tells you how to do it, but doesn't give all the science behind it:

Salting Meat | Cook's Illustrated

I like to joke about using kosher salt on pork. I prefer it because it doesn't have iodine which can give an off flavor. And not using iodized salt gives me a good excuse to eat more fish like grouper and mahi so that I have enough iodiine in my diet.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Do you "city" cure raw hams (a couple of days in brine and then cooked) before smoking or take an already cured ham and smoke it? I am guessing you are not doing the long term "country" cure (salted and hanging in a smoke house for a long time) nor buying such an expensive and delicious thing to then smoke again.

• Like Like x 1
  4. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

For what we have to pick from here the large majority of the time I pick up an already cured Smithfield whole ham at Thanksgiving and Christmas (18-20 lb range) the rest of the year I’ll generally go with a Smithfield shank portion ham in the 10 lb range.

Yeah, for me the raw green ham’s a little too time consuming considering the results of my other option.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    We enjoyed our PF Chang’s Mongolian Beef with mixed vegetables over stir fried rice so much last week we’ve decided to make it again for our supper tonight.

Pretty warm here today-88* for our high/ feels like 96*-no rain today.

The longnecks are ice cold and Ms. Jan’s wine is chilled.

• Like Like x 1
  6. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    So did you make your own or get it again?

I am getting really good at replicating things that I eat out and I like.

Anyway we are having take out from Liquid Ginger. My MIL is having dinner elsewhere and my SIL may or may not be having dinner with us.

• Like Like x 1
  7. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    We just went with theirs again-Ms. Jan does make a lil’more sauce for it and we take an extra small tray of beef stew meat, cut it up some and add that in also.

8. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we’re going to have our second supper off of the Honey Baked Ham that Ms. Jan picked up Friday.

Our sides will be a pot of fresh pink eye peas with snaps with pod okra and a fresh pot of stewed yellow squash and onions.

Sunny all day today with our high being 87*

The back porch is open and ready for your leisure. Adult libations are available as desired.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Because figs are in season my wife has requested pork chops with figs, cream and shallots. Last time I used brown turkey figs and this time using black mission figs.

I used to have a brown turkey fig tree in my yard but it died. It was really old. The biggest problem was waking up early enough to pick the ripe ones before the birds got to them. That was hard to do even with a dog that wanted to go out at the crack of dawn.

• Like Like x 1
  10. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I tried three times to get my KJ going for grilling brats before the Lady Gator V-Ball match versus Stanford and each time it flamed out. I think it was because it was the end of the bag and there was too much dust clogging the airflow.

My son is getting burgers from Dick Mondell's. Really good burgers.

Go Gators!

11. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It's a crime to me how the price of chicken wings had risen.

I checked at this Chinese restaurant how much a side order of wings would be. "4 wings for $8.50" they said. What?? I passed.

Normally at Publix they are around $4.39 a pound

While at my local Publix I noticed a display selling 2/1 wings six pounds overall for $15.00. $2.50 a pound.

So I took them up on the deal.

Now, I have a very deep respect for the well demonstrated "Foodies and Epicures" we have on our site here starting with 74 and Lurker, etc.

So I ask: how would you fix the wings?

What say you?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
    • Like Like x 1
  12. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

5220–

I hardly ever do wings inside so I’ll leave that for someone else. I have found that prior to putting them on the grill if when you wash’em go ahead and cut the “flappers” off of them and let them soak in a sink of cold water for an hour—it gives those fresh cut ends a chance to draw some water and thus lessen your chances of them cooking out dry.

Season to your taste—I use coarse black pepper and Everglades Cactus Dust on all of my grilled chicken. I don’t sauce’em because that’s the way we prefer them. If you’re going to want BBQ sauce or a hot sauce on them my recommendation will be add it on your last two turns—that way it just candies on them instead of being burnt on.

If you want heat without sauce there are plenty of options using crushed red peppers—I’ll defer to @GatorLurker on that.

I do have one combo option (inside and outside) but it’s a little time consuming for wings—picked it up from one of Alan’s BBQ buddies in north Georgia—it’s called “flash-frying” them. You do just that-flash fry to create two crispy sides (no more) and then take’em outside and finish them up on your smoker. Time consuming but mighty good.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2022
  13. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we decided on an inside supper with the heat index back up.

We are going to have Ms. Jan’s homemade chicken’n’dumplings and I’ll fry us up some cornbread to go with them. (Right here my Dad-JK- would be saying “I wonder what the po’folks are doing tonight”) he can still make me laugh….

The longnecks are ice cold and Ms. Jan’s wine is chilled.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Starting early on firing up the KJ for grilling brats after yesterday's fiasco. Looks like having too many fines choked off the airflow so I scooped out the middle and filled it with larger chunks.

Speaking of chunks I spent a chunk of time today at my wife's law office. The chairs in her conference room were kind of loose. It turned out that they were held together with T30 torx screws with a metal female insert. I took them all out and applied blue loctite before putting them back together. Should be a permanent fix.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Blue loctite and permanent go extremely well together!:ninja3:

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I have had to use red loctite a few times holding together engine parts.

17. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    I dry brine my wings usually the night before with kosher salt (I prefer crispy skin). Set the BGE for indirect grilling and 2 chunks of hickory. Use a little dry rub right before putting them on. About 45-50 minutes @325 degrees gets them about right. I baste, like 74 says, on the final 2 turns with a Southern Tang sauce. Then serve them up with Carolina Gold and/or Alabama White dipping sauce. Always with corn on the cob and fresh tossed salad.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight I’ll be grilling bone-in country cut ribs indirect over cherry wood smoke. I’ll season them with coarse black pepper and Everglades seasoning. Pat’s Homade on the last two turns. Baked potatoes will be on the top rack.

Inside we will have a pot of fresh zipper peas. We will also have Five Cheese Texas toast on the side.

First of September with summer time weather-92*/feels like 102*

The back porch is open and ready for your enjoyment. Adult libations are available for your choosing.

• Like Like x 1
  19. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    If everything goes according to plan tonight will be orecchiette witha hot Italian sausage, scallions and arugula.

• Like Like x 1
  20. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Grilling some thick NY strip steaks tonight.

• Like Like x 1