Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

I jump start the potatoes in the microwave (wash, stick them all around with a fork, then 4 minutes on high-turn them over and repeat), wrap’em with aluminum foil after a little olive oil and coarse sea salt.

Then the top rack on the grill is all they need.

Oh yeah, these ribs are grilled indirect on the front side of the grill grates and the potatoes on the top rack are pretty well centered over the banked coals.

2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Got it. Cooked and then a little smoke added.

I assume the aluminum foil is after the microwave/science oven. LOL.

Have you ever tried hickory smoked salt on a baked potato? It is a short cut.

3. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    No I haven’t, sounds like a good deal though.

4. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Summertime hot and humid here today. We are going to have a pot of chicken ‘n rice with grilled cheese sandwiches this evening.

Seems kinda odd to not have an upcoming baseball game to talk about.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Like Like x 1
  5. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Pouring rain in Gainesville as I type.

Making a chopped salad tonight.

6. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Poached some chicken thighs that I will shred so my wife can make enchiladas for dinner.

Bought a pork shoulder for pull pork for tomorrow. My wife asked if I could make that today around 8 AM. Seeing that I had yet to walk the dog (we walk a bit shy of three miles every morning when it isn't raining) and would have to go to the supermarket I said maybe tomorrow.

• Like Like x 1
  7. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    My slightly less than five pound pork shoulder is almost done at just less than eight hours in. It is sitting at 193 to 195 F but I like it to get a little warmer before pulling off to rest before pulling.

And the rest is the secret.

A big batch of Carolina vinegar slaw was made earlier. I think my wife is bringing home some Sonny's beans. I don't care for their BBQ, but their beans are excellent.

Pulled pork western North Carolina style with vinegar slaw is best served on crappy hamburger buns for some strange reason. I bought a package of Ballpark Franks hamburger buns yesterday. They are very crappy and I would neve put a proper burger on one of them, but they are perfect for pulled pork sandwiches with Carolina slaw.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
  8. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Simple but good for us tonight. Grilling cheeseburgers. We will have fresh lettuce and vine ripe tomatoes to top them off.

Chips will be on the table as you please.

Ice cold longnecks and chilled wine are available on the back porch.

• Like Like x 1
  9. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Took some of the pulled pork and slaw to a friend's house. His wife is a vegetarian and his kids are not fans of smoked meat. He was very happy.

Last night was chicken enchiladas left over from a few nights ago.

Tonight my wife is working late so I am just grilling some Johnsonville brats with Carolina slaw as a side. I will watch some super-regional action with my MIL.

The plan for tomorrow is I will use up the leftover pork tinga for enchiladas and Tuesday will be skirt steak with haricot vert (French green beans) and corn.

• Like Like x 1
  10. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight I’ll be cooking inside and give myself a break from the heat and humidity.

We’re going to have Mama’s homemade meat loaf, fresh green beans and new potatoes and fresh bi-color cob corn.

The longnecks are ice cold and the wine is chilled.

• Like Like x 1
  11. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight I am finishing some enchiladas that my wife made with some leftover pork tinga that I made for tacos.

• Like Like x 1
  12. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Leftover enchiladas last night.

Tonight I am making skirt steak with pesto, French green beans (haricot vert) and sauteed corn. As a side it is a corn scamble (sauteed corn and scallions with tomatoes). The tomatoes are mostly heirloom varieties from a local group that is working hard on growing good tomatoes in our much too hot climate for them. They start them very early indoors. The major problem is that most tomatoes need overnight temps of about 68 F or colder to set fruit. Cherry tomatoes don't and actually do well in Gainesville.

• Like Like x 1
  13. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we’re having the All-American classic—leftovers! Yep, time to clean the refrigerator out. On the bright side we have good choices.

Another really hot one here today. 96* for our high with a heat index of 105*…

14. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Hot as well here in Gainesville.

I need to fix a couple of windows at our rental house across the street, but had to take my MIL to an eye doctor appointment in the late morning (she can't drive after the procedure and at 90 she has asked me to see her drive and tell her if it is time to stop) and then it took a lot of time to get the glass cut (I go to a local shop for that because I believe in supporting local business) and after checking out my glazing compound that had turned to rock it was also a trip to Lowes.

Then my youngest son called me from his trip to Montreal and wanted to chat.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  15. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight I’ll be grilling hamburger steaks from freshly ground boneless chuck roast. Baked potatoes will be on the top rack.

Inside our side will be Caesar salad and Five cheese Texas toast.

The back porch Yeti is restocked with ice cold longnecks and the wine is chilled.

• Like Like x 1
  16. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Getting Thai take-out tonight.

• Like Like x 1
  17. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Last night we went out for Asian (mostly Japanese). I had sashimi. Nice to see lean tuna instead of fatty tuna offered.

Tonight I am grilling chicken thighs on the KJ. Don't have enough Pat's to do all of them so I bought some Stubb's Original. I think it is a little better than Pat's but it is more than twice the price.

18. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight I’ll be grilling bone-in ribeyes with baked potatoes on the top rack.

Inside we will have a freshly made Caesar salad with Five Cheese Texas toast.

Since today is my 70th birthday you’re dang straight the Yeti is re-stocked and the wine is chilled.

Footnote-don’t know if there are any Winn Dixie stores close by but this weekend they have W/D brand bone-in ribeyes @ $8.99 lb…

19. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Bone in or boneless makes sense for ribeye steaks.

Wink.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Making hard shell Tex-Mex tacos tonight.

My youngest son arrived home from his trip to Monteal last night and tested positive for covid. He complained the day before about being tired. He is now in isolation in my MIL's residence and she is staying with us in the "big house".

A nephew in Europe also tested positive this week.

It seemed like it is over, but it isn't.

• Agree Agree x 1