Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    I have a big pot of spaghetti sauce simmering doing a great job of smelling up the house.

We will have a freshly made Caesar salad and Four Cheese Texas toast as our sides.

The back porch is open and ready for your leisure. Adult libations are available as desired.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Like Like x 1
  2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    A note on the mahi. This dish is better skin off. Good thing that I sharpened my filet/boner yesterday. Hardly any flesh was on the skin after I was done. And also a good thing that my garbage wasn't picked up so it was a last minute addition.

3. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Take this type of trimmings, put them in a ziplock bag—and put them in your freezer until your normal pickup day. Completely eliminates unwanted smells/odors. (But I’m sure you’re already aware, works especially well with chicken trimmings.)

4. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I have been around this block. I just thought that I was lucky to not have to do that with immenent garbage pick-up.

I also freeze shimp shells. Even though I live close to downtown Gainesville we do have racoons. And every decade or so a bear cub. On occasion I use them for making stock.

The shrimp shells and not the bear cubs. LOL.

Or the racoons.

Last edited: May 18, 2022
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    @74nole,

I see that you are often making pots of sauce. What do you use for tomatoes? I usually use canned San Marzano tomatoes, but that is pricey.

I have used tomatoes from some folks working on how to grow great tomatoes in Florida. The big problem is not enough overnight chilling to set fruit.

• Like Like x 1
  6. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

For what we have available here I usually use Hunt’s.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Change in dinner plans tonight. Getting Satchel's pizza pregame and delaying ribs until tomorrow.

8. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I had to decide if I was going to smoke my dry rubbed ribs early for pregame or delay starting them for our more usual dinner hour.

Seeing the weather forecast I selected the later option.

• Like Like x 1
  9. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Saturday I made oxtail ragu over rigatoni. It takes a long braise and I guess my Dutch oven didn't seal properly because when taking a late afternoon shower I started smelling smoke. Luckily I caught it in time to save the dish with some quick thinking and it turned out very good, but not as super great as normal.

Sunday was a veggie night where my wife, our niece visiting from Boston and my SIL that lives in town took command. Very tasty.

Today I defrosted some Bolognese sauce I had made to serve over orecchiete. There will be a salad. I open a sangiovese as a wine pairing.

The visitors are gone now. It was a nice visit.

Now to deal with the drywood termites we discovered today. Good thing we have a termite contract that covers them, but still will be a major dispution in our lives as our house goes "under the big top".

• Like Like x 1
  10. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Making pork tinga for tacos tonight. I had about 1.5 pounds of boneless pork shoulder in the freezer that needed to be used.

Made pickled red onion as a topping.

I thought I would serve this after the Gator game, but now will be cooking in the early innings.

• Like Like x 1
  11. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight I’ll be grilling bone-in country cut ribs indirect over cherry wood smoke, seasoned with coarse black pepper and Everglades seasoning. You are correct, Pat’s Homade on the last two turns. Baked potatoes will be on the top rack.

Inside we’ve got a fresh pot of butter peas and bi-color cob corn.

We have thunderstorms here today off and on but not like at Hoover.

The back porch is open and ready for your leisure. Bourbon and ginger ale for me tonight, chilled wine for Ms. Jan’s.

• Like Like x 1
  12. insuragator

insuragator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I came home from UF one weekend and went to raid my dad's freezer. He had a mole/rat in a ziplock in the freezer. I went in and said WTF???? He said their cat keeps bringing offerings on their back porch. True or not I never stole food from them again!!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. insuragator

insuragator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I've been sick as a dog this past week. I may sleep through this one.

14. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Well, the dawgs went home today so I hope you get well soon.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Reprising the pork tinga from yesterday. I faithfully followed a Rick Bayless recipe but I found the tinga to be too wet, but tasted great. Will make adjustments next time.

16. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Going to fire up the KJ and grill some burgers tonight.

• Like Like x 1
  17. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    With this weather Ms. Jan’s got her 15-bean hambone soup simmering on the stove and boy does it smell good!

All that’s left to do is fry the cornbread!

Ice cold longnecks and chilled wine are on hand!

18. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Sunday I am cooking a dinner for my MIL's 90th birthday. Her actual birthday is Monday but it works out better this way as I will be cooking for a bunch of people.

The plan is to have mahi with a mango salsa as the main entree.

Funny that her birthday was on May 30, she grew up in Indy and her father was a steel salesman. She spent every birthday at the 500 and she hated it.

And then as an undergrad at UI she helped some frat teams in the Little 500 bicycle race. LOL.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight for my MIL's real 90th birthday dinner will be grilled filet mignon, small boiled potatoes and caprese salad. Going to open a bottle of L'Adventure wine (which one TBD, probably a Cote a Cote) from the Paso Robles area. It is very much like a good Cote de Rhone. I have over two cases from a number of years from that winery in my wine cellar.

• Like Like x 1
  20. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I plan on grilling some chicken thighs tonight with green beans and left over small boiled potatoes from last night. I hope the T-storms are through in time to fire up the KJ.

The filet mignon last night was really good. I like it cooked on the grill just a little north of medium rare after a good sear and it was perfect. I also like it seared on a hot cast iron skillet with herbed butter.