Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Pork ribs on the KJ.

Carolina style vinegar slaw made.

My better half will be bringing some Sonny's beans home.

• Winner Winner x 2
  2. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight I will be grilling wings and our sides will be a freshly made spring mix/spinach salad and grilled BBQ bread like we used to have all the time in the late 60’s thru the early ‘80’s (Colonial Bread used to make it) And the Ingles grocery store here has their own brand!

Grilling will be a challenge as it’ll be in the mid ‘30’s and falling by dark.

Getting the col’beers in now because by dark with this wind it’ll be bourbon tumbler time….

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Like Like x 1
  3. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I recall being driven through the South on summer vacation usually to Fort Myers Beach (Estero Island) mostly so my dad could fish. I remember signs for IIRC Southern Bread with the tag line "I would even go North for Southern bread."

• Like Like x 2
  4. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    BTW the ribs last night were to die for. I finished them with honey, but not tupelo honey. That is special and I no longer have a source for the really good stuff. What I can get on the roadside near Wewahitchka is pretty good, but the real deal stuff is amazing and you only get it if you have a connection that I no longer have. I got some amazing honey from a student that lived there many years ago and it was incredible.

I like the movie Ulee's Gold, but I hate it because it made lots of folks aware of this great honey and now it is expensive even for the middling versions of it.

• Like Like x 2
  5. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    My wife probably has to work late tonight (a couple of estate planning things that have been on her desk for a while) so she asked me to make something stew-like so that is easy to warm up. So I am making a tomatillo based chicken posole. Time consuming and makes lots of dirty dishes, but really tasty.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Picked up 2 orders to go of Chicken and Dumplings today from Pappas Restaurant.

Tuesday is the only day Chicken and Dumplings is the special (1 of 3 specials to be exact).

It's also the only day Elizabeth works curb service - the other days she's inside.

She great - much better than the others. From Utica! Always starts off with a "Hiya!"

Today when I got there there were two spots open to park - but some pinhead in a pickup was sitting in his truck where you drive - so I couldn't get into either of the spots, so I just pulled alongside the end of the walk.

Everything went as normal - but noticed the truck guy had pulled into one of the spots, ordered, got his takeout, and paid with a CC. I always pay cash because I want my server to get cash.

So when Elizabeth brought my order I asked if the truck guy's name was "Poindexter"...lol.

She laughed and said something like that.

It's more complicated for a server to mess with a CC but I wasn't surprised - that yahoo obviously was a self-centered pinhead.

Oh the reason I got 2 orders? So Winkipop could could have 1 too!

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    New item for me - just had one - off the charts! Taco ground beef with grated sharp cheddar cheese and a quick nuke.....yum!!!

[​IMG]

8. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Baz—

You always make me smile!:D

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  9. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Back home from N.Ga., and our lows have changed from 20*-24* to 30*-35*……

That’s still cold enough-Tonight it’ll be White Chicken Chili (we add black beans to ours)-served with cut up jalapeños, four cheese Mexican shredded cheese, and Tostitos chips.”

Ice cold longnecks and chilled wine are ready for your enjoyment and you may even have a tumbler of really good bourbon for desert.

• Like Like x 2
  10. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight is a quick dinner using some of the Bolognese sauce I recently made and a simple salad before going to a friend's house for birthday cocktails.

My friend likes tequila and scotch. Last year I bought him a bottle of Don Julio blanc tequila. This year it is a bottle of Laphroaig which is a wonderfully smoky single malt from the island of Islay. I actually went to Total Wine to buy the Don Julio, but they were out of it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    And the back splash for my new Blue Star range is supposed to be delivered late tomorrow and then they can move the range from my garage to my kitchen.

If all goes well I can schedule the installation on Friday.

Thinking about what I will cook first to christen it.

But I will still need to do the oven "burn off" to get rid of the solvents before I use the oven.

• Like Like x 2
  12. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach

Christen it with Mac and Cheese in the oven and/or grilled cheese sandwiches on the burner.

Or Rice-a-Roni stove top.

Keep us posted and Bon Chance, Lurk!

13. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Actually I was thinking about making an oxtail ragu to serve over rigartoni.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach

As long as there's some cheese in it....you're good! ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  15. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    The saga continues.

Delivery of the back splash has been delayed. Originally scheduled between 3:30 and 7:30 and now 5:30 to 9:30. Probably after 7:30 or why change the time window.

Also my installer is booked up and cannot give me a confirmed appointment before late afternoon on the 26th, but will try to squeeze us in earlier.

Damn, this range had better be everything that I think it is.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Damn! 34* this morning 52* this afternoon and the dang skeeters are dive bombing us on the back porch now-:emoji_angry:

Tonight I’ll be grilling bone-in country cut ribs indirect over cherry wood smoke-Yep, Pat’s Homade on the last two turns.

Inside we’ve got a pot of fresh zipper peas and pod okra and Ms. Jan’s homemade Mac & Cheese.

Our preferred adult libations are available as well.

• Like Like x 1
  17. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    If only it got a few degrees colder.

The skeeters in northern Wisconsin are both populous and huge, Some folks think that they are the State bird.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Suppose to get into the upper 40's here tonight.

Looking ahead 7 days, our lows will fluctuate between 40 and 60, so not bad. No issues with skeeters. Must be a panhandle thing.

I just got 2 new surfboards about a week apart. Water temp in the low 60's so no way am I going out - even with a wet suit. It was different when I was younger. One of these boards was made by a local board maker and the other one shipped from a California board maker. That one got here in 4 days by truck. Packed really well, too. This company has their act together in selling and shipping, obviously. Free shipping too. It's got 5 fins!

I got the 7 footer with the broad nose.....

• Like Like x 1
  19. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Our normal mosquito population is the standard gray variety but these today were the smaller black w/white specs…they’re so light you can’t feel them light on you but to us their bite itches worse than the gray ones.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1