Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Speaking of filet mignon we got a gift certificate from Omaha Steaks for Christmas from a dear old friend. Filet on the way.

I would have preferred filet from our local butcher, but I will not complain.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Duck lo mein last night.

I am defrosting some pesto I made awhile back to put on some farfalle (bow tie pasta) for today's supper.

3. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    The guy I was talking to about installing my new range now tells me he cannot do it. He lost his second person and he cannot get the range up the steps (3) into our house by himself and his insurance will not allow me to assist. If I can get the unit into our kitchen myself he can do it. He does have a floor jack for moving it on flat surfaces.

While I do have a dolly rated to 800 lbs I don't want to enlist the help of a friend to move the unit. Too much risk involved with amateurs wrestling a 350 lb range.

I guess I will ask for recommendations for other installers from him.

4. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we’re going to have Abbey’s baked spaghetti, a freshly made Caesar salad, and some five cheese Italian bread.

There will be ice cold longnecks and wine beforehand and a nice Cav on the table to go with supper.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Like Like x 1
  5. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Lurk—

Would you by chance have a pair of ramps available like you load a 4-wheeler up into the back of your pickup truck?

They should cover your three steps to be negotiated and with their makeup give you some grip to steady your pull as you walk your range with your dolly up the steps to go on inside your house….maybe;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    LOL.

I no longer have a pick-up and no 4-wheeler to load. In fact I don't even own a car. I use my MIL's every once in a while.

I miss having a full sized pick-up and wish that more used "work trucks" were available: bench seat and no AC required. It should have a radio, but no more of a sound system is required. Seems like they are mostly "stepping out" trucks now.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Reminds me of a couple recent events.

I bought a motorcycle earlier this year ('06 Ninja) and picked it up in my truck. It has a full size (8') bed so plenty of room.

I got home and wanted to unload it but didn't have availability at the moment from any of my buddies.

I backed it up to my sloped front yard and tried to do it myself but didn't have enough muscle to roll it past where the tailgate met the ground, due to the upward slope.

Right about then some guy pulled up out front and was just sitting in his car. I was trying to figure out who he was and what he was doing and finally decided to investigate. When I walked up to him he explained he was in the area doing some kind of research and was just getting his bearings before driving further.

I figured what the heck so explained to him my predicament and asked if he had a minute to assist. He said "Absolutely!" so about 5 minutes later the bike was safely unloaded and I gave the man a couple bottles of cold water for his trouble.

Then there was the time I brought home a used washing machine and needed help to get it down from my truck. The neighbor lady next door came over and helped. It wasn't very heavy - just more than one person could handle without risking damage to the machine. I was able to hand dolly it myself the rest of the way, as I have all of the appliances I have moved.

The last motorcycle I bought was a '75 BMW airhead and I unloaded it by myself on flat ground out front with the kinds of ramps Bill mentioned. No issues at all. Slow and steady and keep it leaning onto your shoulder the entire time with one hand on the hand brake. ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight it’s Christmas Dinner
    L
    E
    F
    T
    O
    V
    E
    R
    S

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Fired up the KJ to cook some chicken thighs with Pat's Ho-Made.

Still have a whole smoked duck for tacos in the fridge.

Lots of frustration with the new stove. I got a quote from a local mover to take it 50 feet horizontal and 3 feet up for $350. That is the "go away" estimate.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Lurk—

That’s the we didn’t sell it to you we don’t want anything to do with it estimate…:ninja3:

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    That is at the high end of bringing it in and connecting.

I have some friends and me could get it in the house and I know how to connect it to code, but my wife doesn't want us to move it in and me connecting it voids the warranty.

This has been the most SNAFU thing I have ever done.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  12. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    FUBAR! :confused:

Sorry you have to go through this, Lurk.

I have a natural aversion to authority anyway - but when I hear that "our insurance won't" and "it voids your warranty" crap, it makes my blood boil.

One of the (many) quotes I fall back on: "Sometimes you just have to accept things and move on."

Good luck and please continue to keep us posted......

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Making skirt steak with corn, green beans and pesto for dinner.

• Like Like x 1
  14. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Here is my current plan for the stove.

I know a local installer that can do everything if the stove is in my kitchen. He just cannot get it up the three stairs into my house.

The stove arrived without the back splash I ordered so I will pester the shipping company (that was supposed to install it) for delivery of the back splash and have them move the stove to my kitchen. That is the very least they can do. And they just emailed me apologies and will "look into it".

• Like Like x 1
  15. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Guess I should’ve been more accurate last night-Last night we had the last of the chicken’n’dumplings and sweet potato dumplings….

At lunch today we had grilled ham and cheese sandwiches….

Tonight we worked on the Turkey and dressing and cream 40’s & butter beans…..

• Like Like x 2
  16. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Friday is my wife's and mine 39th wedding anniversary. I was in my late 20's and she was in her early 20's. Call me a cradle robber.

Working on the menu, but maybe shrimp and grits Charleston style.

We like "bubbly" and love Roederher Brut from France, but their bubbly from Anderson Valley in California is almost as good and a lot cheaper. We once did a blind tasting with friends and everyone preferred the French version, but everyone said not by much.

And if you want a cheap but decent sparkling wine I would suggest Freixenet Brut Cordon Negro, Spanish sparkling wine and very good at its price point.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Lurk—

You had me at “shrimp ‘n’ grits”…..;)

Happy Anniversary to you two! May you be blessed with many more!:emoji_couple_with_heart:
    Jan and I celebrated our 48th this past September.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  18. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    Congrats. Ours is also Friday. And we’ve got a bottle of Freixnet waiting in the refrigerator.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  19. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Orecchiette with arugula and hot Italian sausage tonight.

Also bought some baby bok choy and gai lan (Chinese broccoli) at our local Asian market for a Sunday stir fry to go along with other things we already have.

• Like Like x 1
  20. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    It is a great deal for how cheap it is. Now nobody will confuse it with a high end French Champagne or good California versions like Roederher Estate from Anderson Valley or Iron Horse from Sonoma but the California ones are twice the price and the French ones are four or more times the price.

Except I got a Moet brut on sale today. WTF? French champagne on sale the day before New Year's Eve? My lucky day.

And enjoy the anniversary.

• Like Like x 1