Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight I am making a baked pasta with rigatoni, cheddar cheese, rapini, leeks, chives, crushed red pepper, heavy cream and panko. With some olive oil, of course.

Tomorrow I am going to the Gator basketball game hoping it isn't going to be a train wreck like last night so just a quick bite of leftovers before the game and some light snacking after the game.

On Thursday I am making vinegar chicken with barberries (zereshk in Persian). I found them at a local middle east market. They kind of look like dried red currants but are super tart.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Back home and happy to be here-the trip was fantastic but as everyone knows it’s always good to be back home….

Tonight I’ll be grilling bone-in country cut pork indirect over cherry wood smoke. Right now I’m using Stubbs Original BBQ Sauce on the last two turns.

Inside we will have fresh pinkeye peas with snaps and pod okra, and white rice topped with Rotel tomatoes.

The back porch Yeti is restocked and ready to go. Ms. Jan’s chilled wine is also ready for her pleasure.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Stubbs is very good but much pricier than Pat's HoMade. But a correct choice.

I reserve Pat's for grilling chicken thighs and legs where it is pitch perfect. It's sweet exactly compliments the fat. Stubbs has a more vinegar tang.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    I have a note pad I'm using to write down quotes I hear that I like.

Today on Gunsmoke from Matt Dillon.....

"That man died about as uselessly as a man could."

lol......

5. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    The vinegar chicken was awesome. I never made it before but I will make it again.

• Like Like x 1
  6. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Late post on my part-
    Ms. Jan was steak hungry so tonight at her request was grilled fillet mignon, baked potatoes, and fresh Romaine salad topped with vine ripe tomatoes.

Adult beverages were ready and waiting on the back porch.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    P.S. I love everything about a col’beer—

P.S.S. I also love everything about a bourbon drink—

GO GATORS!!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we’re going to have fresh fried catfish, Ms. Jan’s coleslaw, cheese grits, pickles, and hush puppies. The catfish will be seasoned with salt, coarse black pepper, and Old Bay’s seasoning-we use peanut oil to fry them.

Ice cold longnecks and chilled wine are on hand on the back porch.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Fish as well over here today.

I did some House Autry Haddock for lunch at Mom's today. With home made tartar sauce, mac and cheese, and orange sodas.

Mom really enjoyed it - especially the orange sodas.

Now I'm making chicken veggie soup in my biggest crock pot.

I have a nuts dot com order coming next Tuesday with some goodies!

They have such a huge selection now......just amazing!

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Baz—

Do you remember the Orange Crush sodas that came in the brown glass bottles? They were sooo good!

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    It's funny you should say that, Bill. Because I actually brought with me 2 bottles of orange soda. One was Fanta and the other was Crush. I gave Mom the Crush. These were the small plastic bottles you buy in an 8 pack. :emoji_tangerine:

• Like Like x 1
  12. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight it will be grilled chicken halves seasoned with coarse black pepper and Everglades seasoning-Stubb’s original BBQ sauce on the last two turns.

Inside we will have a pot of fresh green beans and new potatoes and bi-color cob corn.

Back porch refreshments are on hand as desired.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight we took some dishes to a friends' house for dinner. She is vegetarian so I made my Thai red curry with tofu and no fish sauce. Also had water chestnuts, red and yellow bell pepper, asparagus, kaffir lime leaves, ginger, scallions, baby corn and Thai basil.

My wife made Indian cabbage and potatoes with lots of spices and tomatoes.

My son and their kids had Ball Park Franks.

Made plans for Christmas Eve. Everyone but me will go to Silver Springs for glass bottom boat rides and such. I will stay home and prepare dinner. The adults (minus the vegetarian) will have either mahi or grouper with a macadamia nut crust. The youngsters will have some sort of steak medium rare. There will be several sides. One will be a yellow ride pilaf and another will be some sort of radicchio and pear salad with either blue cheese of stilton. There will be other sides as well.

Don't feel bad for me. I love cooking and really don't care for things like Silver Springs tourist traps.

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Last night was dee-lish leftovers.

Tonight I am roasting a pork loin with carraway seeds, onion, garlic, cabbage and carrots.

• Winner Winner x 2
  15. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we are going to be treated to Ms. Jan’s homemade chicken’n’dumplings—our sides will be another helping of chicken’n’dumplings…

Been taking a break from my afternoon/evening preferred adult libations as I have been dealing with something that I wouldn’t wish on somebody I didn’t like…..kidney stones—fun stuff for sure :(

Life is good in Gator Nation! (Most of the time)

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Going to fire up the KJ and grill some brats tonight.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Yuck.

Do you drink lots of sweet tea?

18. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    All my life-but not since I had to deal with radiation treatments. I had never had the pleasure before I took 32 radiation treatments (after the surgery- we had a “hot spot” pop up) during regular post-op checkups.

My count was accurate until I birthed #59-after that not so sure but Ms. Jan says that I’ve busted the century mark.

Now it’s black coffee, ice water, col’beers and an occasional Ky Bourbon drink.

19. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Gotcha.

It is the tea and not the sweet that is the problem. When it gets hot lots of southern men drink HUGE amounts of sweet tea.

Another southern thing that can increase your chances of kidney stones is okra. So is rhubarb especially the leaves which one should never eat.

Spinach, beets and chocolate are also not good when it comes to kidney stones. Even though I love beets I rarely eat them because my wife HATES them.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

I could eat less pod okra in my peas for sure-I’m good on the other stuff you listed.

And truthfully our sweet tea had about half of the sugar of what most folks use.