Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Bigger deer up there.

I hope you get a huge point count on one.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I have almost a pound of sushi grade tuna and my wife doesn't like tuna. I am making sashimi for my son and myself and searing some tuna for my MIL. Making awasi dashi for miso soup right now. Made a Japanese style salad dressing earlier today. The salad won't be traditional Japanese, though. I have some kale, English cuke, and a tomato to use up

Bought a large daikon radish today. Part will be used for making a bed to put the tuna slices on and the rest will be for making kimchi later next week.

And bought some sake. Needed it for the sashimi dipping sauce and sake is a perfect beverage with this dinner.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Working on another outdoor deck here. On the way back from a lumber run this morning I stopped at WD to pick up what I needed for Turkey Day dinner with Mom.

I snuck a couple slices of the pumpkin pie a little earlier. With Reddi-wip! I may have to buy another. Call it comfort food.... :(

4. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    My wife is getting a fresh turkey from Whole Foods on Monday for me to smoke for Thanksgiving,

5. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Have any of you deep fried a turkey?

If so how did it turn out?

6. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I have had deep fried Cajun style turkey. A friend of my wife used to do that.

I am doing the opposite with a slow smoke.

Make sure that the turkey is totally defrosted or else it might explode!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Enchiladas tonight. I finally got around to shredding the smoked chicken I made a while ago.

My son doesn't like enchiladas so I am making him ziti with red sauce and Italian sausage.

• Like Like x 1
  8. paidinfull

paidinfull GC Hall of Fame

Feb 22, 2017
    I use an infrared fryer. No oil so its much less expensive, way less mess to deal with after, can put a rub on the outside, get a nice crispy skin, not quite as fast as oil frying, but still pretty fast, less likely to burn the house down…I haven’t really found any downsides compared to oil frying.

Everyone who’s ever had my turkey at thanksgiving says they love it. Maybe they’re just being nice, but I like it.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    @74nole sighting!

How's that venison sausage coming? ;)

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Like this one:
    Char-Broil The Big Easy TRU-Infrared Oil-Less Turkey Fryer

I usually just use my oven and it turns out just fine. But always interested in options. Thanks!

11. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Alan was the only one of our group to get a chance at one. He knocked down a really nice 9 pt. 300+lbs. The scale on our gambrel tops out @ 300 lbs and he bottomed it out-we figured bout 330-350 lbs-he was a beast. We’ll ice him for a couple of more days before taking him to the processor.
    No doubt it’ll be good.

• Like Like x 1
  12. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Enough points to make a trophy?

13. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Leftovers tonight.

14. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Would have been Lurk but he had broken off a brow tine from looked like a recent scrap-the existing one was 4” tall. He is doing the European mount on this one

• Like Like x 1
  15. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Good choice.

I don't hunt, but I know hunters.

A lady lawyer friend of my wife has a complete giraffe neck and head in her living room. But I don't think that she took a trophy from the 12 foot plus gator she bagged.

She is from near Macclenny.

The other meaning of GRITS.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Yeah, the guy that’s doing this type mount for Alan was his teammate at Ole Miss and has always hunted with us on this trip. He stays with the authentic skull, doesn’t believe in those “kits”, and his work is jam up.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  17. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach

• Like Like x 2
  18. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Baz—

If you’ve never tried them like this-take your frying pan with fresh bacon grease in it, heat it on a medium heat and roll your dogs around in the pan til they look right. Don’t think you’ll be disappointed.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  19. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Thanks for the suggestion, Big Bill!

Bacon makes everything taste better!

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Well...taking a little break now before heading over to Mom's with our T-Day dinner at 3pm.

Just her and I, like last year.

I cook here at my house beforehand, bring it over, and re-heat over there. Easier that way.

On today's menu is: Turkey breast, gravy, P. Farm corn bread dressing, mashed sweet potatoes, steamed yellow and Zuc squash, cranberry sauce (of course), biscuits, apple cider, and for dessert pumpkin pie and Reddi-whip.

I put everything in containers with enough for our dinner - plus just the right amount to leave behind for Mom.

I originally has a salad on the menu but elected to hold off as what we have already is enough. Mom's not a big eater and I'm a 1 plate guy most of the time as well.

Besides, I brought Mom a nice large bag of garden salad on Monday so she has that to tie her over.

I also took the turkey carcass and left it in my crock pot overnight. Removed all the bones earlier and added a bunch of stuff so I will have homemade turkey soup later tonight as well. This time I steamed the baby carrots before adding them so they don't have to cook so dang long.

I tweaked my back somehow too last night - but after some Ibuprofen and a Lidocaine back patch it's a lot better now, thank the Lord above!

It's a special time of year for all of us to give thanks for all we have including some special humans - so thank you for your friendship here and all the best to you and yours for the holidays and beyond!

• Winner Winner x 2