Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    What's a wife? :ninja:

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    The person in the house that is better than you.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    But didn't you have advanced driving school as a trooper?

I am a decent driver. My older brother raced SCCA when he had his XKE and my younger brother is more into track racing motorcycles. They have much more experience going fast with a motor than I do. But in my prime I would have kicked their asses on a bicycle

But the only moving violation I have is not coming to a complete stop on a bicycle in a state preserve. It was weird. Two cyclists ahead of me stopped and were confused and not proceeding. I stopped behind them and then passed them so technically I didn't come to a complete stop at the stop sign, but stopped maybe eight feet back and then "blew" the stop sign passing them.

I did not argue and the trooper was actually apologetic. It turned out that his boss had a near accident there with a cyclist over the weekend so he tasked him to issue citations to cyclist that ran the stop sign. The trooper found that he could charge me with a county cycling violation with a $25 fine instead of a State violation with a heftier fine and points.

My sole driving blemish.

4. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    I have one of those too! ;)

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Braising short ribs. OMG my house smells good. I use beef stock with sautéed onion, carrots and garlic with red wine, bay leaf, red wine and balsamic vinegars, some San Marzano tomatoes and thyme as the braising liquid that will eventually be strained and reduced for the sauce. The braise is very slow (250 F) and will take about 5 hours. The four short ribs were very meaty and weighted well over two pounds together.

Pearl onions, mushrooms, carrots, bacon, a splash of vinegar and chicken stock and butter make the veggies that go with the short ribs. All served over egg noodles.

And green beans for something simple and green.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Just blanched the pearl onions. It is a simple way to peel them. Boil for one minute and let cool enough to handle. Cut a bit off the root end and pinch the top end. A "peeled" pearl onion is given birth.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Lurk—

I am enroute!

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Only four short ribs and four of us.

The short ribs I got were very meaty, though.

Maybe for some stupid reason my son won't want one.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  9. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    OMG it is good.

Very rich, though, so not to eat very often.

I did take a taste from one. It was hard not to take another one.

• Like Like x 1
  10. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight I’ll be serving my Black Beans ‘n Rice/shredded chicken/Mexican-Pepper/Corn/Rotel tomatoes/diced fresh green bell pepper dish with Tex-Mex cheese and tortilla chips.

The ice cold longnecks and chilled wine are on hand as well as the hospitality.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Smoking a chicken and making a gratin with rajas (sautéed poblano peppers and onion). Just put the chicken on and taken the poblanos out from the broiler and placed in a bowl with a kitchen towel over them.

Also making awase dashi for miso soup. The bonito flakes are steeping right now. I think I will add tofu, mushrooms and scallions to complete the soup. And soybean paste or else it wouldn't be miso. My Asian market didn't have any Japanese soybean paste so I had to use Korean and be careful to get the right one. There are some very spicy Korean soybean pastes.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Ribs! ;)

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Hot dogs.....yum!

Another great Gunsmoke episode, too.

Guest stars today included Nick "Rich Man Poor Man" Nolte and a young William "The Greatest American Hero" Katt.

My favourite Nolte movie is "North Dallas Forty" of course, which is also my fav. movie about sports, other than those in the surfing category.

You know what tasted good with the dogs today? Those Wise ridges Dill Pickle Chips! :)

• Like Like x 2
  14. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    This afternoon I”ll be putting a 3 lb top round beef roast on the BGE. I will season it with a Texas Brisket Rub, salt, and coarse black pepper. My recipe calls for smoking @ 250* until 135* internal temp is reached (medium rare)-roughly :30 minutes per pound.

Our sides will be baked potatoes, a fresh Romaine salad topped with vine ripe tomatoes, and Parmesan cheese toast done in the air fryer.

The back porch is restocked and ready to go-on to Game 7- OH, WAIT!!!;):ninja3: GO BRAVES!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Last night was dinner at a friend's house and the night before was sushi for sushi out for my youngest son's birthday.

Tonight is leftovers. Lots of pulled pork and smoked chicken to eat up.

And I had some cabbage leftover so a bit of sauteed cabbage as well.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight is more leftovers: smoked chicken and poblano gratin. Also going to make some rice because there might not be enough gratin.

We did polish off the pulled pork and Carolina slaw.

• Like Like x 1
  17. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight I’m going to be grilling BBQ chicken halves seasoned with coarse black pepper and EverGlades seasoning-out of Pat’s right now, Dothan Publix was out so I guess I’ll be making a trip to Tallahassee and check there. Tonight it’s Stubb’s original on the last two turns.

Inside we’ve got a pot of fresh pinkeye peas w/snaps and pod okra. There’s also scalloped potatoes.

The back porch is open for your enjoyment with adult beverages available.

• Like Like x 1
  18. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Stubb's Original is great.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    My wife requested something meatless tonight so I am making Thai green curry with fried tofu, red bell pepper, baby corn and mushrooms over jasmati rice.

I needed two cans of coconut milk and my Publix only had one can left except for lite coconut milk and using that would be like using skim milk when you need heavy cream. Had to stop by our Asian market for a second can.

• Like Like x 1
  20. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we're going with an inside supper as it's been a rather chilly raw day here-44* for a low 49* for the high with steady wind making it seem colder-er....
    Taco soup it is! Garnished with Tex-Mex cheese, sour cream, and of course sliced up jalapenos -- tostitos scoops too!

Tonight's nippy temps are good enough reason to break out the brown water. Jim Beam/Extra Aged/Black and Canada Dry Zero Ginger Ale will do. Ms. Jan will maintain her
    chilled wine.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1