Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I will be grilling some inch thick porkchops, making a salad of some sort, and warming up some leftover poblano gratin from a while back.

I am going to Chicago and Champaign-Urbana for about a week, so I won't be cooking. My wife will be with me over the first weekend, but she is still working and has to get back. So I will also make some jambalaya with andouille sausage to keep my son in food in our absence.

• Like Like x 3
  2. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    No substitute from freshly ground. I use an old cast iron meat grinder with a lot of elbow grease. Getting everything chilled helps a lot.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    My wife asked me to add some ground turkey from the freezer as an additional meat to the jambalaya. I am guessing that I got it right. She never labels stuff she puts into the freezer. I always do.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I got a list of "great" places to eat in Chicago from the girl friend on my BIL. My sister died over seven years ago, but we really like him and his new girl friend. Great folks.

I think it was a suggestion about where we might want to go out for dinner over the weekend.

One of the places was Alinea. LOL. Michelin Three Star and you need reservations a year out. Can't get reservations and can't afford it.

I have eaten at Spago in Chicago, but this is another level.

I made some other suggestions from the list that sounded great to me. Chicago has some great authentic Mexican places other than the Rick Bayless ones. Manny's deli is also great for lunch. And I have never eaten at Harold's Chicken Shack, but I used to live near there

• Like Like x 1
  5. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we’re making it easy on ourselves keeping the kitchen pretty much clean—we are going to have a do-over on the green beans and new potatoes and bi-color cob corn. And to go along with that I’ll go and pick up a bucket of Popeye’s fried chicken and some of their biscuits (they have proven to be pretty good).

Back porch adult libations are available as desired.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    I cheated tonight too Bill and did a repeat take out order of Roast Beef grinder and Greek salad from Manny's! :devil:

Had the grinder tonight - will consume the salad tomorrow.

Re-doing the shifter cables on my '92 Trek 2100 road bike in the morning! Good cycling weather on the way!

• Like Like x 1
  7. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight I’ll be grilling wings and we’ll have a cold tray to go with them.

Beautiful day here today-just a touch of a milder breeze-cooler temperatures will be here before long.

The back porch is restocked and open to everyone.

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Didn’t get around to posting yesterday-Ms Jan worked her magic on her pot roast/onions/carrots/potatoes/and celery. We also had a pot of fresh zipper peas.

Beautiful day yesterday! Ice cold longnecks and chilled wine where good to go on the back porch.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Good Gunsmoke episode today...."The Iron Blood of Courage". Had some good guest stars, including Eric Braedon, also known as Hans Gudegast, while playing the arch nemesis German Captain Hans Deitrich in the 60's TV show "The Rat Patrol". But it was a great story line and ending.

Also.....I actually watched a little MLB last night. Game 2 between the Braves and Dodgers. National League of course. ;) I don't like all the little gizmos they superimpose on the screen like the little strike box and pitch speed, etc. As usual someone has to fancy things up. :rolleyes: I went to bed with the score still tied so will have to look up who won. I guess I still have a ways to go before getting enthused about MLB again...lol.

And the weather.....woohoo......humidity way down and temps not far behind! With this kind of weather it makes it hard to be upset at anything.....

I made some more House Autry coated Cod last night and it was good as always. No more Greek salads for a while though. Although they are very good and sometimes it's nice to get some take out at the end of the day I think my home made salads are just better all around. Especially with fresh avocado slices and jumbo black olives....yum!!! :emoji_avocado:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight I’ll be grilling bone-in country cut ribs indirect over cherry wood smoke. Yep, Pat’s Homade on the last two turns.

Inside we’ve got a pot of fresh green beans and new potatoes and freshly stewed yellow squash and vidalia onions.

We had 48* this morning at daylight:30 and a high for the day of 71*

The back porch Yeti is restocked and Ms. Jan’s wine is chilled.

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight it’s going to be the second run on Ms. Jan’s pot roast/potatoes/and gravy with a pot of fresh pinkeye peas w/snaps and pod okra.

I will fry cornbread!

Tonight it’s Elijah Craig over one cube of ice and chilled wine.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    They should have never pulled that last pitcher........onto Game 4!

14. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we’re going with fried cubed pork steaks, freshly steamed green cabbage, and pinkeye peas w/snaps and pod okra.

We completely cleared off our back porch and pressure washed it—looking just like new again. We are really enjoying the break from all the humidity that is our norm for so much of the time.

The back porch is restocked with ice cold longnecks and chilled wine and open for our use.

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    I've always used Olive Oil when I make the Good Seasons Italian dressing but just read something about using Canola or Vegetable instead.

I use Canola Oil for other things so always have that on hand and may give it a whirl.

I also typically use Balsamic vinegar but used to alternate with Red and/or White wine vinegar and it was just fine.

Soups and salads will be emphasized going into the cool season here so ramping up the mental process........;)

• Like Like x 1
  16. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I mostly use extra virgin olive oil for everyday cooking. Safflower oil is my "go to" vegetable oil for things like Carolina slaw where olive oil is not the right flavor. For high temperature searing I like grapeseed oil over peanut oil.

On occasion I use avocado oil where the unique flavor is a plus. I have a few other oils with special flavors for special dishes, like hazelnut oil.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  17. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Another Dollar General head's up....Queen Anne chocolate covered cherries....$2/box of 10.

They only carry them a couple times a year. Halloween and Valentines Day. Sometimes if you can get in the day after the holiday......the price drops by 50%!

I'm going to try making some Broc salad tonight. Mom's been wanting some so we'll see what happens. I bought slaw dressing as a short cut. :)

18. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Today I have put together a pot of freshly made hamburger-vegetable soup for our supper tonight.

Another beautiful day here-sunshine/blue skies, slight breeze, and a high at 80*.

The back porch is open and ready to be used. Yes, adult libations are available.

• Like Like x 2
  19. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    My wife is making a salad with delicata squash and roasted veggies and wild rice tonight.

Tomorrow I am making posole rojo so I made a trip to the local Latin market for the correct peppers (ancho and arbol) to make fresh chili sauce. It is an all afternoon affair to make this and the kitchen will be a mess.

It was great to see family that I hadn't seen (except for Zoom) for two years. I spoiled one of my sister's dogs taking her for 7 mile walks. She said that her dog would probably try to sneak into my suitcase. LOL. They live out in the countryside in East Central Illinois on a number of wooded acres. Saw lots of deer and thought about @74nole and his hunting. It would be like shooting fish in a barrel. My sister lets hunters that are tracking wounded deer onto her property (usually bow hunters) but doesn't let hunters set up stands on her property.

Good to be home, though. My dog went crazy when I got home.

• Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Alan and I will be up in southern Illinois the weekend before Thanksgiving deer hunting. We go to Alexander County/Olive Branch to hunt with one of Alan’s best friends from his days at Ole Miss. We always have a great time on this trip.

• Like Like x 1