Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    I still don't understand why you chose a UF dormitory as your GC call sign here. Just curious - it's how my mind works.....

2. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Found a better pic of my Interceptor......and the SC in my garage with it's roommate - my '79 TR7. Both gone now - but I did pick up an '83 SC Targa that's currently under restoration....
    MyInterceptor.jpg
    911TR7andVFR.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  3. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    I guess that Murphree was a big part of my life there. The people I met and the good times.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    OK - great answer. I totally get that. Love the passion. It's all we have really......

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    @murphree_hall - couple more pics of the SC after I did a few track mods. Recaro SRD seats with 5 point harnesses, harness bar, fiberglass front and rear bumpers (front is actually just an air damn), Brembo brakes from a 951 (944 Turbo) along with 7"&8" 951 Fuchs - for the extra inside clearance for the Brembos. Also a shock tower brace, lowered suspension, and corner balanced. The tires were Yokohama Advan A032r's so I could drive to the tracks events with DOT tires and still have a decent track tire.

I also had brake cooling ducts to the front brakes. Note the openings in the air damn.

DCP_0887.JPG DCP_0885.JPG DCP_0886.JPG

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    Something about a lowered SC that can’t be beat. Really nice performance mod list you got there. Tastefully done, and without going over the top. Great car!

7. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Thanks but now I'm interested in what you did on your 996. ;)

8. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    @Bazza

Here’s my current 996.1, which was supposed to be an in-between car after I sold my 997.2 and I ended up loving it. Lowered on coilovers and corner balanced, Eibach sways, GT3 lower control arms, adjustable rear toe arms, adjustable drop links, complete all new suspension arms and bushings, Numeric short shifter, cold air intake.

EDIT: Can't seem to upload the pics no matter what I try, but here is a link to the photos. Also threw in one of my former 997.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/7Hb60g7

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
  9. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Nice....very clean and I bet she rides sweet!

10. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight I’ll be grilling wings with a cold tray for our side.

A lil’warmer here today and the ol’humidity is creeping back onto the scene. The mosquitoes continue to be much more than persistent late afternoon and early evening. (They are the smaller black ones). Broke out the big guns yesterday on them-Bull Frog mosquito spray-most effective I know of, it’s a little pricey (about $15-$16 per can) but you only have to use it once on any particular day.

Ice cold longnecks and chilled wine are available as you would like.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Like Like x 2
  11. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight is potatoes with peppers and chorizo.

• Like Like x 2
  12. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Bow tie pasta (farfalle) with home made pesto tonight and a salad.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    I made a big pot of rice last night. Still working on a 10 lb. bag I bought when cv19 started. I wasn't sure if we were going to have food shortages and remember the stories about the Japanese living off fish and rice for months at a time on various islands in the Pacific. So I bought this huge bag. It came in handy when Winkipop was going through some health issues. Fish and rice....chicken and rice.....very beneficial. It's included in what's known as a "bland diet".

So I had some of that with topped with chili last night and had another small bowl tonight. Pretty basic bachelor fair, I guess.

I did bring Mom some take out today for the two of us for lunch. Couple of Pappas Drive In's Famous Burgers and fries, of course.

I asked the "car hop" if they shared their tips with the cooks and she said "No." I asked if they ever got tips. She said sometimes. I said about how much in one day. She said $5. I asked "For a whole day?" She nodded her head yes. So next time I will make sure they are taken care of. They work hard and do a good job.

Tomorrow I will do some House Autry coated fish along with some of the rice I cooked. More batch chow...;)

• Like Like x 1
  14. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight I’ll be grilling cheeseburgers with homemade french fries seasoned with Old Bay’s.

Got to love simple plans for the Football Saturday. Ice cold longnecks and chilled wine are all over the tail-Gatoring…..

• Winner Winner x 2
  15. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight we are getting gyros and stuffed grape leaves from Gyro Plus. They used to be on University Ave but are now on south 13th street near where my favorite bar in Gainesville was located. No, it was not Trader's South. It was the Red Lion. It reminded me of what neighborhood bars in Chicago were like and they had pinball. My godfather and uncle ran one on the Southside. My grandmother and her third husband (don't ask, long story) also ran a bar, but it was an old style sports bar. It was where the guys playing the game went to drink.

Speaking of Trader's South (a notorious topless bar that no longer exists) I did get to meet Boo (I hope I spelled that right) Linzmeyer. I own the house he grew up in and he famously rode a horse into the establishment. His dad was George that had a famous meat market in Gainesville. He told me that during WWII Johnny Weissmuller stayed in my house when he was stationed at Camp Blanding. The house next door was owned by them and has an outbuilding with really thick walls set up for being a meat locker.

But Boo was not known for always telling the truth, so who knows what is what.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    And I thought that I had some stories to tell....Lurk says "Hold my beer!" :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

And watch this!;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight at my wife's request we are reprising the skirt steak with pesto and green beans and corn. And in the next few days she wants the potatoes with chorizo and peppers.

Her wish is my command.

• Winner Winner x 2
  19. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    We have traveled up to Jasper, Ga., with a dual purpose. Obviously, first and foremost we have the opportunity to visit both Alan and Kayla as we are going to spend the week together with them. It’s storming up here in the late afternoon/evenings so we’re going to be cooking inside tonight.

Tonight I’ll be making a big pot of white chicken chili. We add black beans and diced up green bell pepper to the normal recipe. Dos Equis Lagers will be on hand and of course the girls will be enjoying their chilled wine.

Our second reason for our trip is to attend the funeral of a very good friend and fellow Law Enforcement Officer of mine who has passed away. He had moved up here to Pickens County Ga. upon his retirement. He was also a two tour Vietnam Veteran and will be buried with full honors at the Georgia Veterans Cemetery in Canton, Ga. He was my good friend for 45 years. I will miss him.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  20. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Condolences on the loss of your friend, Bill.

Much respect for his service to the country.....

• Agree Agree x 1