Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight it’ll be leftovers-we are having round 2 of the southwestern chicken dish from the other night.

Again, beautiful weather-a lil’warmer (85*) but holding with less humidity and some breeze.

The back porch is open for our pleasure, tonight I’ll enjoy a few Dos Equis Lagers and Ms. Jan will hold with her chilled wine.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Baz—

I agree, I like the look of the older bikes-but that’s as far as I am willing to go. I worked way too many bad wrecks in 31 years on the FHP to get on one myself.

Sadly, even though there were some times the bikers were at fault in the crashes-by and large the majority of the time it was always the other drivers “looked past”or “never saw” the bike and pulled out into the bike’s path violating its right of way. And that was generally paid for in spades by the driver of the motorcycle.

For me, the fun of the ride wasn’t worth the price of other drivers tunnel vision.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Copy that, Bill.

Anytime you are riding these scooters, you are so much more vulnerable to injury.

I don't use one for my daily driver - just for recreation. Never on the Interstate.

And always wear a helmet.

They are a lot of fun if you just use some common sense and ride defensibly. Not everyone can do that though.

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    On that same Six Gap ride (not the official event, but riding the same gaps near Helen, Georgia with a friend) I was on we ran into a Georgia State trooper when my friend was admiring that rare Honda. He told us that he had to pull lots of moto guys out of the woods. Riding in the mountains on a motorbike must be fun and actually safer than on a motorbike than a bicycle if you know what you are doing.

My other brothers ride motorbikes. My younger brother is really crazy and rides race track bikes (but only on tracks) and rides with some crazy guys on the weekends in Texas. Even my older brother that used to race SCCA when he had his XKE said that those guys were insane.

But I used to ride a bicycle on the road alone for rides in excess of 100 miles and had MANY close calls. Some were inattentive drivers and some drove me into the ditch on purpose. I had friends killed riding their bikes.

The road is dangerous. Kids texting while driving drives me crazy.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Couple more pics of that bike. I still have it in my garage in deep storage. I picked up two more exactly like it but in the factory blue they offered. One was running until a leak in the fuel system. Got that fixed but it started running poorly so I parked it, for now. This year and model is a highly regarded edition by enthusiasts and have a legacy. They are super quick and handle great too!

YellowVFR.jpg

YellowVFR700.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Guess it wouldn't hurt to get back on topic...lol......

Tonight it was House Autry coated Haddock pan fried in Canola oil. Oh my goodness they were good! Even better than the Cod! Picked it up at Walmart - their Great Value "house brand".

We have a restaurant here "Bostons Fish House' that are famous for their Haddock. Mom loves it and typically asks for it several times a year. She also likes the Onion Rings and Broc. Salad for sides.

It's not cheap though. The owner is a friend of mine from when I re-landscaped the property quite a few years ago. It's a two story building with BFH on bottom and at that time another party was renovating the top to open a restaurant there. They already had a very popular one here and wanted a second one. They eventually closed both and opened a third one over on the mainland.

The landscaping turned out great. They both gave me a bunch of gift certificates as partial payment, which I didn't mind.

I got a citation from two cops driving by for driving on the sidewalk while putting out some mulch on the west side of the building. Ticky tack violation and not a big fine but pissed me off because we weren't there more than 15 minutes. The cops said their supervisor was driving by and saw us and told them to ticket me. In general I support LE but gotta say they don't make it easy at times. My trailer is a small single axle and it's easier to scoop out the Pine Bark directly into the beds if I have access. I have always done it this way where possible.

I'll bring Mom one of these fillets tomorrow and see if I can get her approval...ha ha....

• Like Like x 1
  7. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Big Bill........

Is this what you call Tex Mex cheese?

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Queso fresca, cotija, queso blanco, and queso panela are all Mexican cheeses. There are others.

Fortunately for me I have a Latin market so I can get these but these are my favorites.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    OK thanks Mr. Lurk.

So take me through it. To make a queso dip as mentioned, do you buy all three and mix them together in equal parts?

10. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Yep

11. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Making dirty rice with ground turkey and warming up stir
    <joke>Use Velveeta</joke>

• Come On Man Come On Man x 1
  12. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    Would love to see more pics of that SC. I should have bought an air cooled car years ago before the hipsters discovered them and jacked up the prices. I had a 997 in the past and now have a modded 996.

13. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Tell you what. Share with us the backstory on how you got your call sign "Murphree Hall" and I'll provide a few pics of the SC. Deal?

Forgot to mention...while at Publix yesterday searching for the elusive Tex Mex cheese, I got a lb. of snow crab legs. Steamed with Red Bay. Claudia brought them out to me and said "Here you are, my friend." They were good but it's always a messy affair when you eat crab legs...lol...

• Like Like x 2
  14. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Last night was a collection of leftovers.

Tonight is chicken marsala. My wife insists that it is served with egg noodles and that is not a bad option and I knew that when I went shopping. And while I would prefer a different veggie side she wanted steamed green beans. I have learned that in life that my wife is always right.

Not only was she an engineer she is now a lawyer. She can get you with facts and logic and now clever debating skills.

That is why I married her.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight I’ll be grilling bone-in country cut ribs indirect over cherry wood smoke. And yes, Pat’s Homade on the last two turns.

Inside we’ve got a pot of fresh green beans and new potatoes and bi-color cob corn.

Another beautiful day here today (87*) with less than normal humidity. The back porch is open with our favorite adult libations on hand. Apparently the mosquitoes are COVID proof as they have been persistent late afternoon and early evening the last three days.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Have you ever used tupelo honey on the last two turns? I have but I save it for special occasions. OMG good.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Yes I have and it’s in a league of it’s on-but Ms Jan’s kinda picky about when the Tupelo gets put on the table. Her favorite is buttermilk biscuits with smoked ham.

• Like Like x 1
  18. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    Sure, no problem but I feel like you’ll be disappointed. I chose the name because I lived in Murphree Hall as an underclass man at UF.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Not disappointed at all! I lived there my second year ('73-'74) and loved it! But it does pose the question - why Murphree and not some other residence?
    BazzaUFMurphreeHall1974.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  20. murphree_hall

murphree_hall VIP Member

Jul 11, 2019
    At the time I was there, 95-99 it was the cheapest due to no A/C. Plus, it had the biggest rooms.

• Like Like x 1