Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Growing stuff and on topic. I scored some seeds for Thai eggplant from the mother of a Thai friend. She told me that her mother's plant in Gainesville dies back every winter but comes back even stronger the next year and is about eight feet tall now. I will try to germinate the seeds in the late winter.

Thai eggplant is harvested before ripe and still green. It is used a lot in Thai curries in Thailand, but hard to find in the US. Most Thai restaurants use bamboo shoots instead, but not the same.

And I also rode my bike to work at UF and when in grad school. When I first got to Gainesville in 1982 I was constantly yelled at to get off the road.

• Like Like x 1
  2. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I have got a weird pork shoulder that I am smoking. Some of it is already over 200 F and some is still around 175 F. If it was only a little at 175 F I would pull and wrap, but it seems to me like a bit too much is not up to temp. So I might pull when that bit gets to around 185 F and hope that during the rest that the other parts continue the cooking/melting of collagen.

I knew this was going to be different because it was a very compact pork shoulder for that weight so getting heat to the middle was going to be harder. Usually my larger pork shoulder cuts are kind of long and have a lot of surface area, but this one was closer to a cube.

And if I don't quite get it done with everything over 200/205 F I can always chop that last bit instead of pulling it keeping the majority of the meat spot on.

• Like Like x 1
  3. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Getting close to 12 hours on a slightly less than 9 pound pork shoulder and it isn't quite done. Getting close, though.

• Like Like x 1
  4. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight I’m going to be grilling bone-in country cut ribs indirect over cherrywood smoke. Coarse black pepper and EverGlades seasoning followed by Pat’s Homade on the last two turns. Baked potatoes will be on the top rack.

Inside we’ve got a pot of fresh pinkeye peas w/snaps with a plate of just picked cow horn pod peppers to cut up on the peas (if you really want them to be good).

Strange to have a sunshine/blue skies day with a big storm in the gulf. I feel for the folks in it’s path-but I’m also glad that it’s somebody else’s turn. Wishing the best for all that will have it to deal with.

The back porch is open for our afternoon/early evening pleasure. The ice cold longnecks and chilled wine are available as desired.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  5. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Ida is projected to be a Cat 4 before landfall. Yikes!

The outflow from the top of the storm has wrung all of the moister out so you might get nice weather being on the east of the storm.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  6. kobert

kobert Recruit

Aug 24, 2021
    Jacksonville, FL, USA
    Personally, today I cooked white fish with a side dish in the form of grilled vegetables

• Like Like x 2
  7. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    @GatorLurker threw a craven on me—before daylight:30 I put a smaller 8lb butt on the BGE with applewood smoke rolling over it.

Tonight we’re having pulled pork sandwiches, homemade BBQ beans, deviled eggs, and Ms. Jan wants onion rings tonight.

Been stormy looking pretty much all day, but just scattered showers from time to time.

The back porch is open and adult libations are available as desired.

• Like Like x 2
  8. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I also use apple wood for butts. Sometimes I use cherry.

Just a little bit was too intact to not pull and that will be chopped. Lots of leftover pork, slaw, and collards for tonight.

• Like Like x 1
  9. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    We enjoyed the pulled pork sandwiches last night to the point that we are going to have a plate supper of pulled pork tonight.

We will also have leftover petite butter beans and sweet whole kernel corn, pinkeye peas w/snaps and rice pilaf.

A lot of cloud cover today as the remaining side bands of Ida clear out. The back porch will be enjoyed late afternoon and early evening. Ice cold longnecks and chilled wine are on hand if desired.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight is up in the air. Maybe tacos. Maybe brats.

• Like Like x 1
  11. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    It is tacos, but not soft tacos with pulled pork like you might get in Mexico. Hard shell tacos with ground turkey. Not real tacos in my opinion.

Taco Bell has ruined Mexican food for a lot of people. They want it cheap.

Real Mexican food is awesome and labor intensive. You really should have to pay for it or put a lot of love and care into it yourself. Making posole rojo takes a long time, but it is so good. Making mole from scratch takes a lot of effort. Veracruz style fish is awesome. None of these things do you get at Taco Bell or even most Mexican establishments.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  12. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I have learned to cook dishes from many cuisines: Italian, Spanish, Thai, Korean and even French for a few examples.

But I have to say that my favorite is true Mexican.

In my youth I spent some time in Mexico and when I was a bit older I spent time in Austin and ate at Fonda San Miguel. That is what would be a Michelin 3 star Mexican place if they did that for Mexican food. Later I spent time in New Mexico eating at very good places in Santa Fe, but the best place I ate at there just a few years ago was suggested to me because the locals ate there and said it was awesome. It was not truly Mexican, but New Mexican. A totally different style. But they used the local chilies and the local green chilies are the bomb.

If you want the greatest chilies you need to go to Chimayo. Not for heat, but for taste.

I kid you not.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    "The Zimmern List"....right now on The Cooking Channel....the Detroit episode from 2019!

Last edited: Aug 30, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    I'm going to do a pantry makeover. Right now it's not very efficient wrt use of space.

It's 2' deep, 8' high, and 4' wide.

I'm going to attach furring strips along the sides and then lay 2'x4' wood shelves in. Not sure if going with 3/4" or 1/2" yet.

Also what kind of spacing do you think is best between shelves. I was going to go with 10-12" or so for most and may have a couple taller, plus the bottom floor will have more space.

Thoughts?

15. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    OK - contrary to popular culture, Google is my friend. Found an article with some details worth considering:
    This Is What Makes a Pantry Perfect, According to a Pro Closet Builder

[​IMG]

16. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    98531630414779.jpg

• Funny Funny x 2
  17. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight I’ll be grilling chicken halves seasoned with coarse black pepper and Everglades seasoning. And yes you are correct—Pat’s Homade on the last two turns.

Baked potatoes on the top rack and a fresh Romaine salad topped with vine ripe tomatoes for our sides this evening.

First half of the day we had pretty strong thunderstorms but the back half of the day has been blue skies and sunshine. The back porch is open for the afternoon/evening activities and the beverages of choice are available.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Chicken thighs made into BBQ using - yes you are correct - Pat's Homade. :)

On open face toasted garlic bread.....yum!!!

• Like Like x 1
  19. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I have a big pantry that is between my dining room and my kitchen and goes under my staircase to the second floor. The ceiling is 8 feet although the rest of the house has 10 foot ceilings. It is lower to accommodate the landing on the staircase.

Most of my shelves are about a foot apart. Two are about 14" apart. Two are very far apart mostly for storing tall kitchen items. The distance from the floor to the bottom shelf is about two feet.

Under the part that is under the staircase we have stacked chimney tiles and a bit of recycled bowling alley as the top. Lots of storage.

• Like Like x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  20. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Thanks, Lurk! My pantry is a bit small but will accommodate my needs as a single guy. I have other places to use for storage and am currently working on ways to put in sliding drawers. This has been a long time coming and I'm excited to get the pantry done first.

Initially I was going to install those pilaster brackets so I can move the shelves around but decided to keep it simple.

• Friendly Friendly x 1