Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    First, my wife and I got covid in GA in early July at a party of some 24 folks. Who? No idea. We came home and quarantined ourselves and med up. No improvement. Went to dr. Dr tested us, yep got it. Dr said that about 80% who come in and have it are vaxed. Hmmm. We got the med Ivermectin, got rid of it in 6 days with the key being day one was a vast improvement, then slowly better each day. Tested again last week and both negative. Feeling good, but both of us have slight cough in AM due to lingering effect of Long Haul Covid. We read that may take a while.

Second, yes put chick w/ oj up the butt on a pan to avoid the drip mess. Chick was great.

Third, the Lasagna was ok. I was disappointed in my own cooking. But then, I am not a lasagna fan, I think it is too heavy and lacks the flair of a pasta dish.

Fourth, thank you much, yes it was Echoes of Laurel Canyon. Played the Anthology of Mama and Papas over the weekend about 3-4 times and then thought, 3 of the 4 are dead. Looked up Roger McGuinn of Byrds on line. He lived, may still, in Clearwater and would show up and places with a small band and ask if they knew some songs, then ask if he could join in. 79 years old. He testified to Congress that he and the Byrds never earned one dime, beside the initial advance, from royalties for "Turn Turn" or "Mr Tambourine Man". Amazing how many got royally screwed and how many made a fortune.

I hope everybody can stay well and healthy thru this awful pandemic and not get caught up in the whirlwind of misinformation.

• Like Like x 1
  2. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we are going to have chicken n’ rice and grilled cheese sandwiches for supper.

I’m sure that we all have had those not so fun or enjoyable days before—this surely falls into this category with ease.

For now, fresh air on the back porch is looked forward to early morning and early evening.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Like Like x 1
  3. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Chili dogs tonight.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Oven bake some artisan bread, then cover slices of it with chopped up turkey in gravy, with capers.

• Like Like x 2
  5. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Dinner menu is up in the air.

We have a friend in town that can sometimes have dinner with us, but he also has other friends. And he has problems with gluten.

He might be eating dinner with other friends or that might be moved to Friday.

I have everything I need for (a) chicken breasts with pesto that I just made with home grown basil, (b) a recipe in our local paper that sounds awesome (orecchiette with crumbled Italian sausage, fennel seeds, Parmesan cheese, baby arugula, and other things), or (c) meat loaf made with ground chuck and ground sirloin. Actually (c) is something my wife wants to make so it really isn't on tonight's menu.

Good thing these all go together rather quickly.

• Like Like x 1
  6. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Never heard back so going with option (b).

• Like Like x 1
  7. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    We are in the simple mode right now and the chicken n’ rice was good enough last night that we don’t mind a do-over. Appetites aren’t the best this week so good leftovers makes the choice easy.

Continuing to enjoy the fresh air and sunshine along with the shade and breeze our fans on the back porch provide.

• Like Like x 2
  8. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Option (b) was a huge hit.

Tonight will be the chicken breasts with pesto, rice with datil peppers, and broccoli.

9. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Got the thread restored back to it's proper forum, I see.......:devil:

• Like Like x 2
  10. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    <joke>Dang. That's what I would feed my dogs when they were under the weather.</joke>
    Heal up, Bill.

And my menu tonight is just a slightly spicier version.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  11. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Lots of kudos for dinner tonight.

• Like Like x 1
  12. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    Just saw. How are you feeling? Hope Ms. Jan is ok. Keeping you both in thoughts and prayers.

• Like Like x 2
  13. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

shane—

I’m sure any or all of the known sayings to describe how someone feels when going up against this would be more than an effecient descriptive.

“Shot at and missed/chit at and hit” works pretty well.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    5 pound boneless pork loin that I marinated for 36 hours with olive oil and chicken broth, seasoned with celery salt, garlic salt, black pepper, thyme, rosemary, Italian seasoning, sage, and Lowrey's. Partially cooked 2 pounds of sliced carrots, 6 good sized red potatoes cut into chunks and a large sweet onion, then put that over and around the pork roast and added more seasoning. Pre-heat the oven to 475, cook uncovered for 20 minutes, then for 40 minutes at 425. Take out of the oven, cover with tinfoil, and let sit for 20 minutes. Slice the pork and enjoy the feast.

• Like Like x 1
  15. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Ms. Jan is doing the cooking again and the smells coming from the kitchen have been to about starve me to death since noon. She has a beef pot roast in gravy simmering with vidalia onions, carrots, potatoes, and celery.

There also is a pot of yellow squash and onions. Fresh yeast rolls will also be on the side.

Yesterday I went to the hospital and took the Infusion Treatment for the COVID19. Usually I am not subject to side effects of medicine or treatments—so I’m guessing it was my turn. The nurse told me side effects to the infusion treatment were low grade fever, coughing, headache, and dry mouth. I did not have fever.

These kind of days/nights continue to make the fresh air on our back porch appreciated.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  16. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight is escarole soup using some of the leftover pork tenderloin from a while ago.

Last night my friend that plays guitar extremely well was over for dinner so I had to make it gluten free. He is taking out some big pine trees and an oak tree so that he can put a dining room addition on his house. Actually he currently lives in San Diego, but it is his house and he rents it out and Air BNB's it. He has a friend that has a portable sawmill so I have some rough cut oak coming my way. NICE! It will take some time to season, though.

In return I will lend him my Freud router bit set for cutting tongue and groove and use of my planer and jointer for making the oak flooring for his new dining room.

The pine looks really nice and WAY better than the pine you get at Lowes or Home Depot. When making new windows sashes for some double hung windows in my old house (over 100 years old) a few years ago I lucked out and Home Depot had Douglas fir 2x4s. Almost unheard of in the Southeast. I selected ones with mostly heartwood. Those sashes will outlive me by many years.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    OK - who wants to start a new thread....."outside the dugout walk up music you are listening to...."

:devil:

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Go for it!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  19. shane4three

shane4three GC Hall of Fame

Dec 24, 2014
    K
    Prayers for you and Ms. Jan.

• Agree Agree x 2
  20. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    My wife is making meatloaf and I am making mashed potatoes and sautéed green beans.

• Like Like x 1