Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Stu—

Are you telling us that you might have out-kicked your coverage?;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    You got just enough info to shut you up. LOL.

Of course she knows more and knows exactly what these are and what they are used for.

I might want to trade recipes with your wife. She sounds like she knows what she is doing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we’re going to be having leftovers. We’ll be finishing off the pot of spaghetti sauce from a few days earlier—I hate it.;)

Another hot one here today, basically similar numbers as we’ve had this week—93*/107 heat index.

Ice cold longnecks and chilled wine are ready to go on the back porch.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    First attempt at a Thai red curry with chicken and it is very good. It helps that I now have a kaffir lime tree for the leaves.

Not as spicy as I would like, but if I did that I would have to cook a separate dinner for everyone else.

• Like Like x 2
  5. GatorStu1

GatorStu1 Freshman

May 9, 2015
    Bill;

NEVER have truer words been spoken. :D:D:ninja3:

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. GatorStu1

GatorStu1 Freshman

May 9, 2015
    Lurk;

Besides marrying me I would consider her extremely intelligent. I sometime read her your and Bill's recipe ideas and I am pretty sure she would be interested in trading cooking secrets.

• Like Like x 2
  7. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight I’ll be grilling cheeseburgers and hotdogs. Ms. Jan said she preferred chips over fries tonight so chips it is.

Like James Taylor sings in the song-/“I’ve seen fire (sunshine) and I’ve seen rain”…..so this evening it’s a little muggy outside.

We will be faithful to the back porch and enjoy our ice cold longnecks and chilled wine.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

8. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Getting the night off from cooking. Both my son and wife have to work late and will bring food home. Not sure what it will be. Probably subs or gyros.

9. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    My wife and I have gotten into meeting in kitchen in pm. I have a turntable tucked away nearby with ceiling speakers in kitchen and have turned her onto The Byrds, Traveling Wilburys, George Harrison, etc. She's from the crap era of Bruce Springsteen etc.

BTW- watch the documentary entitled Laurel Canyon on I think netflix or maybe amazon. About that area of LA and all the musicians that lived there who'd hang together and write songs. Hosted by Jakob Dylan.

We put some music on, make cocktails and I conjure up some food. She is not a cook, but can make interesting salads. So I roll w/ her on the salad, while I either finish something I started a bit earlier or combo some leftovers into "something new" (see Big Short, Anthony Bourdain, "it's a whole new thing").

Last night the cocktail went from one on the deck to three....the ground beef casserole in the oven became a black brick of road tar. Funny how time slipped away.

Tonight, I am putting a whole chicken on the grill with the metal can/stand 1/2 filled with OJ inserted in its backside and cooking it covered for a while. I will rub olive oil then ground rosemary on the chicken.

Saturday, thinking gluten free spinach lasagna. Want to tune into Bucs game (not an NFL fan), suspect Trask may play. Maybe I'll just wait and find it later so I dont waste time w/ an NFL game.

• Like Like x 2
  10. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Put a drip pan under the chicken. Sometimes a chicken can give off too much fat causing a lot of flames resulting even more fat and flame. Not pretty.

Or you can watch the grill like a hawk with a spray bottle.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Echoes of Laurel Canyon.

12. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight is a pork tenderloin oven roasted with a sesame teriyaki sauce, jasmati rice, and broccoli florets. I haven't decided on either simply steaming the florets or stir frying them.

Tomorrow will be oven roasted chicken leg quarters with new potatoes and kalamata olives. The spices will be bay leaf, red chili flakes, fennel seeds, kosher salt and black peppercorns finely ground with additional lemon zest. A little Italian parsley as a garnish.

• Like Like x 2
  13. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we’re going to have breakfast for supper. Ms. Jan is pan frying cubed steak to go along with eggs over light and grits. She is also making homemade biscuits.

We have had a stark turn of events considering our faithful due diligence to stay home and out of the mainstream since the start of the COVID pandemic. Jan has gone to the grocery store and we both have kept our doctors appointments.

This past Monday Jan’s best friend here in Marianna asked could her grandson stay at our house as they had to work and school wasn’t starting until Tuesday. Well, the next morning the boy went by their doctor’s office to get a COVID test to be cleared for school. He tested positive.

Thursday I started coughing (dry) and to the point that a sharp headache was not far behind. Jan and I were tested Friday morning. She was negative and you guessed it—I tested positive. Anything I have to say I’m sure would be censored.

Nevertheless, Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Friendly Friendly x 2
  14. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Fingers crossed.

Odds say that you won't get really sick because you got the vax.

Hoping for the best.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Chicken leg quarters were HUGE and taking a lot longer to cook than normal. I don't cook by time but by temperature.

I know that they are pricey, but a Thermapen is a great investment. Think about how much you spend on streaks that you want to come off medium rare and now you have the technology to get it right every time.

I know that some folks can do this by feel (pushing on the steak) and they don't need one for steaks. But they could use one for pork and chicken.

• Like Like x 1
  16. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Hoping the same thing Lurk. Behind my open heart surgery I know to stay faithful to taking my blood thinner (Eliquist) as well as the daily lo-strength aspirin. COVID really enhances blood clot possibilities. Drinking plenty of water along with a variety of fruit juices. Also getting in a couple of workouts daily on our NordicTrack.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    I hope for a good outcome for you Bill.

No way in hell would I allow anyone into my home at this time.

My oldest brother - the one who lives in Virginia - and has a travel trailer - along with his wife both got vaxxed.

Yet - on a recent FB post, he suggested an old friend of the family from when we lived in Norfolk, drop by for a visit with our 98 year old mother, who lives here.

I resisted the urge to speak my mind.

What kind of an idiot suggests that someone visit someone who is 98 years old - just for the sake of entertainment.

This is not the time to do stupid stuff like that.

Unless you are willing to suffer the consequences.

Reminds me of a favourite movie quote:

"Reality catches up with everybody."

And the kicker is....Mom would have welcomed the visit. My brother is the oldest of three - he should know better.

It's like "La Dee Da"-ville sometimes.......:rolleyes:
    ===========================

All that said....I've been enjoying soups lately. Clam Chowder on the stove right now...

Yesterday this one was fabulously delicious! ;)

c69d96de-571e-4154-8401-58a8cc74dbaf_1.23e80155b0169f091442ddd9fcd1d9ae.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  18. GatorStu1

GatorStu1 Freshman

May 9, 2015
    Dang Bill, so sorry to hear this. Thoughts and prayers sent for an easy and quick recovery. Man, you sure have had a tough couple of years buddy.............. Hang in there.

• Like Like x 1
  19. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    My wife just had a hankering for a BLT so she is making them tonight. Not exactly health food.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    The heart wants what the heart wants...and the same can be said about the stomach! :emoji_bacon::emoji_tomato::emoji_cucumber: