Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Since I smoked the shank ham last week Ms. Jan has volunteered to put together her 9-bean ham bone soup for supper tonight.

I am responsible for the fried cornbread. Pretty good trade off if anyone’s asking.;)

The back porch is open for our enjoyment and ice cold longnecks and chilled wine are available.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Smoking a chicken today. Wild rice and haricots vert (French green beans) as sides. It is a little spendy to use haricots vert instead of green beans, but they are better. Kind of like using Cointreau instead of triple sec in a margarita. Either one is fine and not the star of the drink/dinner. It does make a big difference for me with the chopped salad and not so much with smoked chicken being the star attraction.

And once I introduced Cointreau to my wife's margaritas there was no turning back. Ain't no way I ever make her a margarita with Grand Marnier Centenaire. I would go broke.

I think that once I made her a margarita with Don Julio blanco tequila when we had no other tequila, but I told her never again unless it is your birthday.

Tomorrow will be a chopped salad (using the rest of the haricots vert), then a reprise of pasta Bolognese on Tuesday (I always make a double batch of the sauce), and finally a tomatillo based chicken posole on Wednesday.

• Like Like x 2
  4. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Leftover Bolognese sauce over orecchiette tonight and a salad and tomorrow is the green posole.

Thinking down the road I want to smoke a lamb shoulder for pulled meat and also make a Thai red curry with shrimp and one with chicken. I now have a large enough kaffir lime tree to use some leaves for making the curry. One problem is that I rarely see whole lamb shoulders at my supermarket. Maybe I need to ask for one.

• Like Like x 3
  5. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Cleaned out Mom's freezer section last night. She was in the other room playing solitaire on her computer and didn't even know I was there. After I got everything out into my Volvo, I went back and got her. I've been trying to get her to use up her frozen good for months and months and she's just too lazy or doesn't care. I ended up throwing half of it away. Winkipop had Haddock last night from part of it. There's some steak, chicken, and pork pieces I will thaw out one by one and then assess how to process on a case by case basis. Everything was bagged but it still gets freezer burn and funky looking....lol....

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight I’ll be grilling chicken halves seasoned with coarse black pepper and Everglades seasoning. Baked potatoes will be on the top rack.

We will have a fresh Romaine salad topped with vine ripe tomatoes to go along with.

The back porch is open for our leisure time this afternoon and evening.
    Ice cold longnecks and chilled wine are ready to be enjoyed.

• Like Like x 3
  7. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach

Yo Bill.......do you buy your Everglades Seasoning by the truckload?
    :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    LOL—

No, but I do pick up the larger size canisters at Sam’s.

It really likes chicken, pork, and fish—beef not so much.

• Winner Winner x 1
  9. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    FWIW, I decided to throw away the rest of that stuff from Mom's freezer. Not worth the trouble trying to figure out what's still OK to eat. I'm cooking some beef tenderloin right now which should be fine for Winkipop. I even feel guilty giving her that, but she'll inhale it so fast it won't even matter...lol....

Life is short.....make it count......
    ;)

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  10. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    A buffet of leftovers tonight.

• Like Like x 1
  11. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight I’ll be grilling bone-in country cut ribs indirect over cherry wood smoke. (I’ve gotten to where I look forward to typing this because I can just see @GatorLurker shaking his head;)).

Inside we’ve got a pot of fresh purple hull peas and fresh pod okra. We will also have a pot of white rice topped with Rotel tomatoes.

The back porch is completely restocked and ready for our afternoon/evening. I love everything ‘bout a col’beer….

• Like Like x 1
  12. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Boneless rib makes even less sense to me than jumbo shrimp. But this is an open secret and old news. Almost exactly the only choice.

I made to my mind an awfully good attempt at humor.

LOL.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

That's funny stuff right there—

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Ahhh, the house has been smelling good since mid-morning as I’ve had a big pot of spaghetti sauce simmering since about 10:30am.

So tonight it’ll be spaghetti, a fresh Romaine salad topped with vine ripe tomatoes, and a side of Parmesan Garlic Cheese Bread.

The back porch is open for entertainment and visiting. If you can believe it—ice cold longnecks and chilled wine are there for your enjoyment.

• Like Like x 1
  15. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    We might be going out to a friend's house tonight so dinner is up in the air. What I want to make if we are not going or need to eat early is Thai red curry with shrimp and that is pretty quick.

I was going to smoke Memphis style pork ribs tomorrow but a friend will be in town on Sunday so I will wait a day.

• Like Like x 1
  16. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    So we are going to see friends and the plan (I was not consulted) is that we are taking Thai take-out.

And I have the fixings for Thai red curry shrimp and unfrozen shrimp does not last long even in the fridge

I hope my family likes Thai two nights in a row.

I have no problem with that.

Edit:

Now my friend will be here on Monday. I think that the shrimp will be OK until Sunday, so ribs on Saturday. Maybe posole rojo on Monday as it is one of his favorites Or carnitas tacos? He is originally from Central America so he likes real Mexican food.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  17. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I wish that I lived closer to your house.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  18. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Dinners have been sorted out.

Today I am smoking Memphis style dry rubbed pork ribs with a Carolina vinegar based slaw. I don't mind mixing BBQ things from different regions. I like my ribs done just shy of fall off the bone. They should have a little bit of tooth in them. One change from how I usually cook them is using Guldens brown mustard instead of French's yellow mustard to make the rub stick. I didn't know that I was out of French's and no way was I using coarse Maile Dijon mustard for this.

Tomorrow I will use the shrimp that I bought for a Thai red curry dish to make pickled shrimp with fennel and onions with a side. Probably some rice dish. Maybe my yellow rice pilaf with vermicelli noodles.

On Monday my friend arrives and we left it up to my youngest son to pick between red posole or carnitas tacos. He couldn't make up his mind so he did a coin flip and it is carnitas tacos. Easier for me because I won't need a trip to the Latin market for the correct dried peppers to make the chili sauce.

My wife was hoping for the posole rojo so I will make that soon.

• Like Like x 1
  19. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Got some corned beef, Jewish rye bread, Russian dressing which is what I had before.

Should I get some sauerkraut?

20. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    And Swiss cheese.

• Like Like x 1