Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Found a 4 pack of hot dogs in the freezer that were part of that big Omaha Steak package I got a while back so had one of those for brunch. They're fat suckers.....twice the girth of regular dogs. More like a sausage.

Watched Stage 1 of this year's TDF. A rather inauspicious start to this year's event, for sure....

2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    St Louis cut ribs on the KJ.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Ribs are just starting to pull back and show some bone. Even though I have a Thermapen I find it much more reliable to judge the doneness of ribs by how much bone is showing. It is too hard to get an accurate meat temp with so much bone close by.

My SIL from France will be here on Wednesday. Her son said that I should smoke a brisket because she can't get it in France and he has had my brisket.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight is NY strip steaks, a black bean salad, and mashed potatoes.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Getting near time to prep and start the KJ for steaks.

The black bean salad is something that my wife asked for without directions or a recipe. So I diced up half of a red onion, one red bell pepper, cooked three ears of corn and sliced the kernels off, added a large can of Bush's black beans that were rinsed, used 1/4 cup of olive oil and 1/8 cup of apple cider vinegar and a teaspoon of fine sea salt.

OK, but I wish that I had just a little cilantro to add to it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  6. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Had lunch w/ friends yesterday at Casa Santo Stefano in Tampa. As an aside, one was a native from New Orleans. Told me the best andouille to buy is from Jacobs in Lou. I looked on line and it can be sent. Thinking about ordering some. Anybody ever ordered meats from Jacobs ?

7. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    [​IMG]
    Andouille Queen. Year unknown.

8. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight is a creamy pasta sauce with sundried tomatoes, roasted red peppers, shrimp, heavy cream, basil, garlic, and red pepper flakes over penne. Not really Italian but very tasty.

And why is it that when you buy shrimp and they give you a "count" for how many per pound you usually have more than that and never less than that? Sounds almost like a premise for a Seinfeld bit.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Tonight it was grill fried mahi mahi, tater tots and a mixture of black-eyed peas and green beans.

• Like Like x 3
  10. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I sometimes bake mahi or grouper with a macadamia nut, panko and butter topping after marinating in lime juice. Really good, but keeping it simple is also great.

It lets the great taste of the fish speak for itself.

I used to catch flounder and cooked very simply is the best. Stuff with spiced crab is nice, but I prefer it done simply.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tuna salad with basil, fresh mozzarella, and tomatoes tonight.

• Like Like x 1
  12. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight I’ll be grilling chicken halves. Correct, Pat’s Homade on the last two turns.

Inside we will have a pot of fresh pinkeye peas with snaps, fresh pod okra, and thin sliced yellow squash seasoned with coarse black pepper, Parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning and thin sliced vidalia onions done in the air fryer.

Full day of yard work today to the afternoon/evening ice cold longnecks and chilled wine are being enjoyed by Ms. Jan and myself.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Mowed my yard and the yard of a rental house we are selling tomorrow as a courtesy. Also finished making a door for a bathroom cabinet with glass and I don't have a rabbeting bit for my router so it was clever to do what I did. The tenons were weird (not the same depth top and bottom) and required some chisel work at both ends, but it did work.

Real cabinet makers would have said that I should buy the rabbeting bit and not do what I did, but I did it and it worked. And in actuality the joints should be stronger with more glued area.

I should have taken pictures.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  14. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Took a 2 lb. London Broil, trimmed off the fat and cut it up into bite sized chunks, then pan cooked it on really low heat in a solution of beef bullion, water and flour to make a think gravy. Then fixed up a batch of long grain white rice and put the gravy with beef chunks, now very tender, over the rice. Had early, small green peas on the side.

• Like Like x 3
  15. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    London broil is a not fatty/tough cut of beef that is difficult to cook correctly. Similar to flank steak.

Sounds like you have a good way to do it.

Is the "beef bullion" bullion cubes? Too salty for my taste. Some beef broth might be better.

16. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Don't use bullion cubes. Use the Better Than Bullion concentrated beef flavor paste.
    I've found that London broil can be tough because of the lack of marbling if not cooked properly. I've grilled it like a steak before and it's very tough unless grilled slowly at low heat. Doing it like beef tips like we did tonight gets it really tender.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  17. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    So my MIL asked me today if I had pomegranate molasses (which I did) for making a barley salad. I just assumed that she was making dinner for when her youngest daughter was joining us for dinner after flying from France.

Oops.

She wanted it for Sunday so I didn't cook anything.

Time for take-out.

Since my SIL just spent a year in Vietnam making pho or getting Thai take out was off the table. I think we are going with Mexico take out from El Indio. Not great like what I could get in Albuquerque or Santa Fe, New Mexican, but WAY better than Taco Bell. La Tienda is even better, but I like to sit there rather than getting take out. It reminds me of places in Austin that I would go to back in 1982. Now Austin is too precious, but I make an exception for Fonda San Miguel. They have always been awesome.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  18. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight is braised short ribs over egg noodles. This time I am making it in the Provencal style with a braise of red wine, chicken broth, San Marzano tomatoes, balsamic vinegar, carrots, celery, garlic, rosemary and thyme with olives at the end and orange zest just before serving.

• Like Like x 4
  19. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Last night it was grilled cheeseburgers and brats for the ball game.

Tonight I'll be grilling bone-in country cut ribs indirect over cherry wood smoke seasoned with coarse black pepper and Everglades seasoning. Yep, Pat's Homade on the last two turns.

Inside we've got pinkeye peas w/snaps, fresh pod okra, and roasted red potatoes. Full fledged summertime hot here with all the humidity to go with it. The ice cold longnecks and chilled wine will definitely have their place on the back porch this afternoon/evening.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Like Like x 2
  20. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    My MIL surprised me with almost two pounds of grouper and a tub of smoked wahoo dip. Guess what is on the menu tomorrow night.

Last night the take out was from Sonny's. My son said that he much prefers the meats that I prepare, but I do have to say that I like their beans better than mine.