Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we’re keeping it simple but good. We are grilling cheeseburgers with Lays Kettle-Cooked Chips.

A lite supper for a light-hearted hounds loss to the Virginia Cavaliers today 6-0.

The back porch longnecks are ice cold as well as chilled wine for the ladies.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Like Like x 3
  2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Also keeping it simple. Brats and kraut.

Bought my MIL a new canary today. Her male canary died out of the blue.

• Like Like x 2
  3. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    My wife's law partner is a Wahoo.

But they will ever be known as the first Men's NCCA Basketball Tournament #1 seed to lose to a #16 seed.

But then then won it all the next year.

• Informative Informative x 1
  4. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight it’ll be the supper we were going to have Sunday and I didn’t want to stay in the humidity cooking.

Baby back ribs on the BGE over applewood smoke will go on @ 2:00PM.

Inside Ms.Jan will be making her homemade potato salad, BBQ baked beans, and coleslaw.
    There will also be a tray of her deviled eggs.

Back porch ice cold longnecks and chilled wine as you please will be available.

• Like Like x 2
  5. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Forgot that I had a lot of leftover carnitas so soft tacos tonight.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Hot dogs tonight. keeping it simple and I can't tell you how good they were just this way.

OM Angus beef and cheapo Walmart buns with only mustard and relish.

It was the dill mustard they sell at WM and sweet relish - both poured on HEAVY!

Buns not heated up but dogs are as hot as you can stand it.

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

7. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Stuffed bell peppers tonight. I stuff the bell peppers with dirty rice and sautéed onions and topped with reduced tomato sauce. Baked about 45 minutes at 400 F.

Simple fare, but good.

• Like Like x 1
  8. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Our supper tonight will be a “do-over” from last night. It was pre-planned that way as we are leaving in the morning to go to Birmingham to both visit long time friends and take in a few AA baseball games at the Hoover Met between Pensacola (Marlins) and Birmingham (White Sox). Kayla’s Tim is pitching coach for Pensacola so we’ll get to see Kayla and Magnolia Grace too.

Relaxed back porch time today with ice cold longnecks and chilled wine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I do have to say that I make my dirty rice using Zatararin's and ground turkey instead of making my own spice mix and using chicken hearts, gizzards and livers. My family would object to the later if I told them what was in it, but probably like it if I didn't tell them.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    I've been making my own habanero-based seasoning for years. I grow my own habaneros. 4 plants get me 15-20 quarts of fruit a year. I keep them in the freezer until ready to use. I add 6-8 whole habaneros to medium salsa after grinding them into powder. To make seasoning, I dehydrate about 5 quarts at a time after cutting them in half to speed up the process. After dried out, I use an old coffee grinder to grind them up, seeds, stems and all, into powder. 10 quarts of whole habaneros makes about 1 quart of powder. I take a 6 oz. empty seasoning container and put the habanero powder in first, about 20% from the bottom. Then I go to my spice shelves and just add whatever's in there - celery salt, black pepper, lemon pepper, sage, thyme, rosemary, garlic salt, Lowry's seasoning, old bay, basil, everglades, oregano, cayenne, etc., shaking it all up periodically until the container is full. I put it on everything - salad, soup, vegetables, potatoes, meat, pizza, pasta. Takes time to build up a tolerance to the heat of habaneros, but once done it's delicious, good for you and adds flavor to most foods.

• Like Like x 1
  11. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I have so much datil pepper in my freezer. About the same Scoville level as habs but the citrus notes are more pronounced. Closer to a Scotch bonnet.

Hey, I like Thai hot. But I am not a total "pepper head" going after the hottest. I did grow my own bird peppers for Thai dishes and now have a kaffir lime tree, but bird peppers are so cheap at my local Asian market that I saw no need to grow them anymore. For datils you really have to grow your own or know somebody that grows them. I used to grow my own, but now I have somebody else that grows them and gives me more than I need.

I few years ago I went to Chimayo in New Mexico and found a ripe chili on the ground and took it home. I grew a few plants. They were not the same. Those chilies are not all that hot, but when grown in the local soil and climate of Chimayo they have a really special flavor. Think of the best guajillo pepper you have every tasted. Great on its own but even better as a component of a deeply rich mole.

• Like Like x 1
  12. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    Have you ever been to O'Steen's Restaurant in St. Augustine? Their shrimp is the best we've ever had. Locally netted, butterflied and lightly fried. But they make their own dipping sauce with horseradish, cocktail sauce and datil peppers. It's delicious.

• Like Like x 2
  13. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Never been there, but it sounds like it is to die for.

And St Augie is datil pepper central.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Last night was a green posole (tomatillo based) with chicken instead of pork. It is so good.

Tonight my better half uses her skills making risotto with asparagus. When making the chicken posole there is always a lot of extra chicken broth being made so it is a perfect dinner for tonight.

• Like Like x 1
  15. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Last night our friends we are staying with in Birmingham had a really good supper prepared. They roasted a boneless half pork loin with potatoes, carrots, and onions with gravy. A fresh spring salad went well with this and a 5-grain bread.

Tonight we’re grilling wings on his KJ with a cold tray for our side.

Ice cold longnecks, Crown Royal short drinks, and chilled wine are available as desired.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. ocalaman

ocalaman GC Hall of Fame

Jun 30, 2018
    I had planned to grill some Nettles sausage links on the grill, but it started raining hard about 3:30 and it's still coming down. So my wife cut them in half and pan fried them to go with yellow rice and green peas.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 25, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  18. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight we’re going to be treated to Ms. Gail’s Lasagna, Caesar Salad, and Garlic & Parmesan breadsticks.

There will be a nice Cav on the table as well.

The afternoon and evening are being enjoyed by all with beautiful weather and ice cold longnecks, Crown Royal short drinks, and chilled wine.

• Winner Winner x 3
  19. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Picked up a huge Salmon filet this morning and just finished having some. I made enough to share with the furballs and also put some in the freezer for later.

• Like Like x 3
  20. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Thai take-out tonight.

Something on the KJ tomorrow with fresh butter beans.

• Like Like x 2