Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Likewise for the leftovers here tonight. We have plenty of leftover burgers and dogs from Ms Magnolia’s birthday party so we will enjoy them again tonight.

Pretty day on the mountain, ice cold longnecks and chilled wine are available with the possibility of a tumbler of Eagle Rare after supper.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    We’ve had thunderstorms pretty much throughout the day today. Thinking we will save the outside efforts of grilling in the wet winds tonight and have another round of leftovers.

Tonight we are going to have a do-over on spaghetti, salad, and yeast rolls. A nice red Cav to go with.

Afternoon ice cold longnecks and chilled wine will be in front of our supper.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Leftover enchiladas for us, but no margaritas. Not enough tequila left and I have been watching a sick dog all day so no liquor store run. Been serving her rice hoping that fixes things.

4. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Or Thursday......;)

[​IMG]

5. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Lurk.....hope your baby feels better soon!

Please keep us posted - especially if the rice helped.

We have been alternating here with either rice or pasta mixed with either Tilapia or chicken. My girl seems to do better with that as a supplemental dish along with her regular meals of kibble: 1/2 cup twice daily, and joint supplements.

It's time for another batch of rice in fact today, as we just finished the chicken and pasta yesterday.

I was right about the heat yesterday too. Weather person reporting we tied a high record. Also looks like that rain I had hoped for won't be coming after all, so I'm running my irrigation this morning. No substitute for liquid sunshine but will help.

Funny story to share next post.....

6. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    On the mend and feeling bouncy as ever.

Grilling brats and warming up sauerkraut for a pregame meal. Midwest baseball eats.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Today here on the mountain has been raw to say the least—34* this morning with a wind chill down to 27*——high today of 46*/ windchill 39*.....low tonight 28* (I won’t be out in the windchill)...

I’ve got a pot of Taco Bean Soup with shredded chicken on the stove that’s been simmering since 2:00pm.....

Ice cold longneck Dos Equis Lagers and chilled wine are set for the evening.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight is finishing up leftover enchiladas.

Tomorrow if pho ga otherwise known as Vietnamese chicken soup. I have made the traditional beef version of pho a few times and many times a seafood version, but this time I am trying the chicken version. Using thighs with skin and bone for flavor depth, but discarding the skin and bones in the shredding process.

I just love the depth of flavor in the broth. I do have to go to Ward's for the spices because my Publix doesn't carry star anise or cardamom seeds.

And the local Asian market for the Thai basil as a topping.

• Like Like x 1
  9. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Doing an Easter morning brunch at a friend's house. We are in charge of mimosas. We will be using this for the sparkling wine: Freixenet Cordon Negro Brut. A real steal at its price point. No, it isn't equivalent to a great French champagne, but it is more than serviceable for mimosas and decent for a minor celebration. And nobody should ever use great champagne for mimosas!

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    "A sizzling fire is a chef's desire."
    ~ Bill Maxwell

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Today was going to see some friends for early afternoon brunch, with mimosas of course. The last time we saw them it was socially distanced by twenty feet because the male in the couple has had heart issues. Today was more chill because everyone has had at least one jab, even my 25 year old son. He lucked into knowing some people that called him when they had extra vaccine.

Then went to visit friends for a little early evening wine and cheese.

After that nobody was hungry.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Late entry but it's been a long day. Spent the weekend building a 4' deck extension off my back concrete patio, using 5/4"x6" deck boards. It's 36' long and like I said 4' wide. Ran out of fasteners so will pick up more tomorrow but all deck boards are down - most only with 2 fasteners until I get more. Came out great - very sturdy! My yard is sloped so one end is almost at ground level and the other about 4' off the ground.

Back on topic, I had one container left in the freezer of my world's famous turkey chili and had moved it to the fridge 2 days ago so tonight was chili night and man oh man - I had forgotten how epic this chili was! Sprinkled some Parm cheese on top too......yum!

I'm winding down the day doing laundry and watching "Firecreek" - a classic with legends Henry Fonda and James Stewart.

Happy Easter and GO Gators! :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    With Alan’s house full of family for yesterday’s Easter celebration meal I failed to get our table fare posted.

We smoked an 11.5 lb shank ham and some polish sausage on the BGE.

Our sides were a fresh pot of lady finger peas & butter beans, and Ms. Jan’s homemade scalloped potatoes, and freshly made yeast rolls.

Ice cold longnecks and chilled wine were available as desired.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Ballpark food tonight. The chicken wrap is edible, but twice the price of what it would be outside the park.

Just like airport food.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Ms. Jan and I will be heading back home tomorrow so we are going to work on leftovers again tonight. We are having the Taco Bean Soup with chicken.

It’s a great ball game meal for us to take advantage of.

Besides, it likes ice cold longnecks and chilled wine just fine.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Cooked another batch of chicken thighs for Winkipop today in my crock pot. Also another big pot of rice.

Both turned out fantastic! Regardless of how many legs the diner has.

We visited the vet today to get a blood test done. She's doing pretty good but am interested in what the test reveals.

We also received from Chewy a new type of Nutro kibble for seniors!

Delicious dinner tonight was the last of my turkey chili over rice. With Parm cheese sprinkled on top, of course!

IMG_1477.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  17. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tomorrow I am making spicy noodles with peanuts. Typical cast of ingredients including Thai basil, sesame oil, chili oil, ginger, garlic, scallions, etc.

Can be eaten after the game.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
  18. anstro76

anstro76 Fluent In Nonsense Moderator

Feb 14, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Just making brisket and tomato sandwiches from all the leftover beef from the weekend.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Two 6 PM ball games in a row. Bought the chicken wrap on Tuesday and didn't eat dinner last night.

Tonight my MIL wants to buy us Thai take-out and I am cool with that, but I did warn everbody that I am making spicy Thai noodles tomorrow night because I have a lot of Thai basil to use and not enough vanilla vodka to use it up with my version (modeled after Liquid Ginger's version) of a Tao-tini: vanilla vodka, sweet and sour mix (recently made and not store bought crap. And I cold process the sugar instead of heating it to avoid caramelization), muddled Thai basil, and brown sugar.

A tasty beverage that my wife really likes and I can choke one down.

• Like Like x 1
  20. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Our neighbor lady that we’ve helped out through the years is celebrating her 70th Birthday today. She does eat the evening meal with us often and I left the menu open to her request.

I will be grilling bone-in country cut ribs indirect over cherry wood smoke. Correct, Pat’s Homade on the last two turns. Baked potatoes will be on the top rack.

Our sides will be a fresh pot of pinkeye peas w/snaps and pod okra. We will also have fresh jalapeño cornbread on the side.

Ice cold longnecks and chilled wine will help celebrate our neighbor’s birthday.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2