Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    5220—

I also can only have col’beers in limited amounts.

I do try to honor my commitment on a daily basis....:D:emoji_beers::D

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  2. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    The house is already smelling like the big pot of spaghetti sauce that is simmering on the stove. We will have a fresh Caesar salad for our side.

We used to like the Colonial or Sunbeam BBQ bread to make garlic buttered/toasted bread—but it seems like everything else when you like something “they” discontinue making it.

We have substituted Texas toast with garlic butter for these meals.

Ice cold longnecks and chilled wine will again be available on the back porch.....One foot in front of the other.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Buddy of mine has been building a small business producing and selling micro greens. He dropped these off to me yesterday. I have been incorporating them into my salads and have to say they add quite a bit of personality! And if they also provide some nutritional benefit as well then it's a win-win......

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  4. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    As a kid going to Fort Myers Beach for summer vacation from Chicago and spending lots of time on US 41 I remember road signs for Colonial bread, but I really remember the signs that said "I'd even go North for Southern bread".

Sometimes you want not the best for what you are making because it is more authentic. Using artisan rolls for pulled pork makes no sense. Nobody that makes pulled pork sandwiches professionally would ever use artisan bread and if they did I would not eat there. I use Ball Park hamburger buns for pulled pork sandwiches. They are very bland and perfect for presenting the succulent meat. The bread then takes a back seat to the meat and the meat is the star as it should be.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight we are having turkey tetrazzini that my wife constructed yesterday and I am warming up. That and turkey salad used most of the leftover turkey. The tiny bit left will make a couple of servings of turkey noodle soup. Alas, no turkey mole enchiladas. Sigh.

Tomorrow I am making calamari salad. Dee-lish and very clean protein.

• Like Like x 3
  6. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight I’m going to take the last of the pulled pork and warm it up in a pan with sautéed green bell peppers and vidalia onions. After it is heated up enough I’ll add some Pat’s Homade BBQ sauce stirred in well and covered.

Our sides will be fresh crowder peas, okra, and homemade French fries.

Ice cold longnecks and chilled wine will be available on the back porch.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight I’ll be grilling wings with a cold tray for our side. After first
    soaking them in cold water they’ll be seasoned with coarse black pepper and Everglades seasoning.

Late afternoon and early evening adult libations are available for our back porch pleasure.

• Like Like x 2
  8. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight is warming up premade enchiladas with home made green enchilada sauce.

And margaritas made to my exacting recipe. The best margaritas at Chuy's are almost as good. And a few years ago I was in Santa Fe, NM, and went to a place recommended by the locals and they had some very good margaritas.

Fonda San Miguel in Austin, Texas, made a better margarita that what I make at one time but it is no longer on its menu. It had this very pricey component:

Grand Marnier Cuvee Du Centenaire

$220 bucks for a fifth of the secondary ingredient is not what I will be making at home.

But it was better than what I make, but not by much.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    And here is my margarita recipe.

To make two first juice a lime and stick a finger in to taste it. The tartness determines how much simple syrup to add and that is the only "art" in the recipe.

Next add Cointreau to double the volume of liquid. Don't cheap out with Triple Sec here unless it is the second round of margaritas. Then you can.

Then add a decent 100% agave tequila to double the volume again. I like using Espolon blanco. It is not cheap, but way cheaper than Don Julio and Don Julio blanco is actually too good for using in margaritas. It is more of a sipping tequila. Jose Cuervo is a major step lower. And Patron is way over priced for its quality.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    One of the items that is routinely on Mom's provision list is soup.

I shop at many different stores but when at Walmart, I typically buy their house brand (Great Value) when it comes to soup - because I've never had any I didn't like - in fact I think it tastes very good - and if it helps stretch the dollar a little - it's a win-win.

I've noticed though that Mom is very brand conscience - so when I dropped off several cans of GV veggie soup a couple weeks ago, of course I get the email that it tastes "terrible" and asking me to never bring her "that brand" any more - only Campbell's.

OK - no biggie. I brought her what she wanted and brought the GV back home. Well, I just ate a can of it and it was absolutely delicious. I gave it some salt and pepper and cooked it stove top low and slow the way I always do my soup. Delicious!

So my next move will be to cook two cans of it....along with proper seasoning....put in a Tupperware container.....and bring it to Mom to try out - as my latest homemade soup. Will keep you posted.

Oh and I've had soup before that didn't taste good. This isn't it.....

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. LakeGator

LakeGator Mostly Harmless Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Temple Terrace
    A few weeks ago my wife texted me to get a can of Chicken Noodle soap for out 6 year old grandson who was being kept at our house as he had a cold. Walmart was the store most easily reached on my way home. I knew the little prince was almost certain not to eat the soup as his policy is to NEVER try new food unless it is candy so going cheap seemed reasonable.

I walked out of the store with a $0.76 can of GV chicken noodle and my wife fixed it for him. He did allegedly take a taste of it before declaring it unsuitable for his palate. I finished it and found it to be as did @Bazza - very flavorful and equal to Campbell.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    I always kid around while grocery shopping that the soup aisle is the best spot in the store.

I just finished some slow cooker chicken soup and wow......that hot broth sliding down the old throat is like heaven!

Chicken breast meat, chicken and veggie broth, white niblet corn, stir-fry veggies, can of mushrooms, chicken bullion cubes (about 6 of them), penne pasta, and plenty of seasoning....yum!

• Like Like x 1
  13. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    That is damning with faint praise.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  14. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Roasting some potatoes and carrots and then a pork tenderloin marinated in sesame teriyaki sauce.

Left over tenderloin is for escarole soup tomorrow.

• Like Like x 3
  15. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    I’m sure that I have an advantage of being married to Ms. Jan because I honestly can’t remember the last time we heated up any can soup—she loves to make homemade soups and has also taught me well in this endeavor.

• Like Like x 2
  16. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Tonight I’m grilling chicken halves with Pat’s Homade on the last two turns.

Inside we’ve got a pot of fresh snapped green beans and new potatoes and bi-color cob corn.

Ice cold longnecks and chilled wine are available on the back porch.

• Like Like x 2
  17. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Your wife sounds like a great person.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Lurk,

If she can tolerate me for all these years, she’s got to have something good going on for her...The first time @wingtee saw a picture of her the first thing he said to me was “Damn Horne—you out kicked your coverage”......:p

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Lot of cooking shows out there. I watch sometimes - but lately my favourite has been "Beating Bobby Flay".

Last night it was mac and cheese on the first challenge and then grilled cheese for the second. Speaking of homemade soup.....Bobby made tomato soup from scratch to go with his grilled cheese sandwiches.

Today I'm making my second batch of slow cooker chicken/veggie/pasta soup. Used a whole package of broccoli florets for this batch....:devil:

• Like Like x 1
  20. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I have been working through Chef's Table on Netflix. Some seriously gifted chefs profiled. I will probably never eat their food ($$$$$$$), but they give me ideas.

Anthony Bourdain's shows were great even if you didn't like his politics or his history of drug abuse. His book "Kitchen Confidential" is great. George Orwell's "Down and Out in Paris and London" is even better.

I swear that I only make pork tenderloin so that I have leftovers for escarole soup. One of my favorite things to make and when I make it, it is a meal and not a starter.

I have two chickens to cook and I am going back and forth between smoking them or doing that beer can chicken thing. I am leaning toward smoking as it gives a better flavor for making chicken mole enchiladas.

• Like Like x 1