Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    This evening we will be grilling BBQ chicken halves seasoned with coarse black pepper and Everglades seasoning. And yes, there will be Pat’s Homade on the last two turns.

Inside we’ll be cleaning out the refrigerator of leftovers with our sides being green beans and new potatoes, pinkeye peas w/snaps, okra, and bi-color cob corn.

A little bit warmer here today with a high of 64* as it continues to be quite pleasant outside. The ice cold longnecks and chilled wine will surely have their places on the back porch this afternoon and evening.

Life is good in Gator Nation!

• Like Like x 2
  2. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Cooking some Wick Fowler's chili before starting to chop up veggies for a stir fry. Scored some gai lan (Chinese broccoli) and nice and cheap shitakes at the local Asian market. Bought some baby bok choy and snow pea pods from them earlier in the week in anticipation.

• Like Like x 2
  3. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    We are going with bone-in country cut ribs this evening grilled indirect over cherry wood smoke. W/D had their family size trays on sale so I picked up a pretty tray marked $21.27—with my W/D card I bought them for $9.98. I’ll take that as a bargain every time.

Our sides tonight will be fresh steamed green cabbage, fresh steamed yellow squash and onions, and red smashed potatoes.

Another pretty day here today starting out at 40* and very foggy, topping out at 69* with sunshine and blue skies. Our normal adult libations will be enjoyed this afternoon/evening on the back porch.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight is leftovers defrosting from the freezer: some pulled pork, some pasta Bolognese, some enchiladas.

I miss not cooking tonight.

• Like Like x 3
  5. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Beautiful day here today with a little warming trend. 42* for a morning low, pretty dense fog again and an expected high of 75*—dang heatwave!

Tonight we’ll be grilling cheeseburgers and hotdogs. Simple enough, chips for our sides.

Ice cold longnecks and chilled wine will accompany us on the back porch this afternoon/evening.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Lots of Chinese veggies leftover from the other night and still some leftover pork tenderloin. I will be the prep cook tonight with the veggies. My wife is much better with the wok than I am.

Someday I would love to get a high end range with a really hot burner for doing stir fry and other things right. The problem is that my gas and 220 V supply (I would go dual fuel) is on an interior wall and running the ductwork for the hood would be a pain and horizontal. There is a second story above the kitchen so straight up and out is not possible. I do have 10' ceilings and could go without the hood, but having it ducted would be ideal.

• Like Like x 2
  7. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Total change of plans.

My wife will be taking Mia Apa Cuban food to a friend in the hospital so we are getting that for dinner. I love their Cubano sandwich,

• Like Like x 2
  8. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Ms. Jan’s kitchen is open today as she has put on a boneless chuck roast with potatoes, onions, carrots, and celery and of course her best in the south gravy that she makes——Um-ummm good!

And yes, I will be in charge of frying the cornbread.

Football Saturday’s, back porch fresh air, ice cold longnecks and chilled wine.....

• Like Like x 1
  9. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    People's hair's are on fire over there....lol......:emoji_point_right:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Back to more “normal” Panhandle weather—starting the day steady to light rain followed by an uptick in muggy. But as the rule here is—“if you don’t like the weather here in the Panhandle, just hang around 20-30 minutes—it’ll change”......

This evening we will be grilling wings with a cold tray for our sides.

Ice cold longnecks and chilled wine will be available on the back porch this afternoon and evening.

• Winner Winner x 1
  11. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Gorgeous weather here in Hogtown today after a foggy start.

Leftover and defrosted pulled pork for enchiladas. Using El Pato red enchilada sauce. Really good. The pulled pork also had corn, black beans, peppers, and onion as part of the stuffing.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  12. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

Sounds gooda!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Sounds guoda! :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  14. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Since we made way more enchiladas last night than we could eat we are having a redo.

And another round of margaritas made to my recipe. Lime juice and simple syrup added to it to get the right sweet and sour balance. That is the only art involved. Limes do not have consistent acid, so you have to adjust. Double the volume with Cointreau. Then double again with a decent 100% agave tequila. I like Espolon blanco for its flavor and price point.

OK, the last two ingredients are a bit pricey but Espolon blanco I find to be superior to Patron blanco (that costs even more) but not as good as Don Julio blanco (that also costs more). I think that Don Julio blanco is too good for margaritas unless it is a very special event. It is a great "sipping" tequila. You only down shots of so-so tequila.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight is sautéed rapini with grilled sweet Italian sausage and penne. Of course lots of garlic and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese.

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Alright boys and girls—today is the day to visit your local W/D store—

We just got back home and tonight I’ll be grilling boneless ribeyes. A family size tray (4 steaks) that normally rings up for $80—we bought for $23+.

Baked potatoes and fresh Caesar salad and yeast rolls will be our sides.

Ice cold longnecks and chilled wine will be available the afternoon and early evening.

• Like Like x 3
  17. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Making paella today.

Found that I was all out of bomba rice (the authentic rice for paella) but have arborio which is an Italian rice that is very similar so not a disaster.

Also it is a seafood version with squid, mussels, and shrimp. I will add some linguica (a Portuguese sausage) that is like a mild version of chourico which is the Portuguese version of Spanish chorizo.

I find that restraint in additional ingredients is required for a good paella and adding the sausage is a bit of a stretch. The rice should be the star of the dish and too many add-ons take away from that.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2020
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Lord, that dish is soooo good!

19. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    With cooler temps coming into play this evening tonight we’ll be treated to Ms. Jan’s smothered fried country steak and gravy. (Brrr/29* predicted overnight low).

Sides will be white rice topped with Rotel tomatoes, fresh steamed green cabbage, and fresh crowder peas. Fried cornbread of course.

Choice this evening between ice cold longnecks, a tumbler of 1792, and of course Ms. Jan’s chilled wine.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight is brats and sauerkraut. Much easier than last night.

• Like Like x 2