Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Outside the dugout: What's cooking?

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by GatorLurker, Jul 28, 2016.

1. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I have some weird ones: cycas bifida, zamia fisherii, bowenia serulata, ceratozamia mexicana, ceratozamia hildea, and a gorgeous dioon edule palma sola.

The only macrozamias that I have are communis

• Like Like x 1
  2. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Stuffing bell peppers with rice and ground turkey topped with marinara sauce for dinner tonight.

The Reds had every opportunity to win today, but decided that it was unmanly to ever bunt.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    My Macrozamia (I only have one) is a moorei. Really about the same look as your communis. It's a beautiful specimen but still in a pot because I haven't found a place to plant it yet worthy enough...lol!

My Dioons are spinulosa and edule. Some of my edules are huge! Lot of them are still in pots.

I have a ton of Zamia furfuracae - some in the ground and some in pots.

A matching pair of beautiful Cycas circinalis planted and a multi-trunk revoluta planted and also some in pots with decent trunk height.

I also have an Encephalartos ferox in a 7 gal. pot. Still rather small but healthy.

I like the species you listed because they are unusual and different. The entire family is so interesting on many levels.

Most of my cycads put out a new growth flush back at the end of May (this year) and I went around and took photos of them with my hand in view I was so excited for some reason. The new growth is SO SOFT I guess I got carried away....lol....

4. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    Wasn’t really sure where to put this—but—

I did have the Double Meat/Double Cheese with up-sized fries and sweet tea @ What-A-Burger today for lunch.....:D;):D

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Like you I have a lot of Zamia furfuracea, also called cardboard palm. I have a huge one in a pot that I need to plant.

You have some nice plants. I also have a Cycas circinalis that just gets by because up here we get freezes. It should live further south. It grows for a couple of years and then gets frozen to the ground.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  6. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I saw some really old ones near the New South Wales/Queensland border in the mountains back in 1992.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  7. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach

We're talking about food now? :D

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    I am making a soup with collard greens, ground pork, ginger, and assorted other things like fish sauce, Sichuan peppercorns, wide rice noodles. There are more things in there. I usually make this with mustard greens, but I couldn't find them at my usual sources. I will just have to cook the greens a bit longer.

Sichuan peppercorns are kind of weird. They are not hot, but they numb your mouth. Also a tiny bit gritty.

I also started marinating chicken thighs for jerk chicken on Saturday. Instead of Scotch bonnets I use datil peppers for the heat when I make my jerk sauce. Similar heat and datil peppers have an even stronger citrus flavor.

Tomorrow is warming up leftover pasta Bolognese. I have a Zoom memorial service to view from 5 to 7, so no cooking then.

9. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    What hardiness zone are you in? I don't even know where you live, but feel sorry for your Queen Sago. :(

Got my shipment in today from down south and I'm on cloud nine. These Crotons are beyond gorgeous and a couple new palm species I've never had before - so banner day! Will post pics later....

10. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    2 each of varieties Stoplight, Congo, Joanna Coppinger, and Mango. Plus a tall Irene Kingsley in the back and a Piecrust (second pic). The palms are Hurricane Palms...a single and a double trunk.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  11. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Back to food.

I will be firing up my KJ in "divide and conquer" mode to grill some jerk chicken. I really wish that I had some allspice wood for the smoke, but I don't. I just use a lot of allspice in the marinade instead.

I like that I can set half of the grill low and direct and half high and indirect because that is what you really need for this dish. It would be great to have two KJ's for cooking for a lot of people because then you could set each one up independently.

And it is what you need for searing a steak and bringing up to medium rare much slower. A few minutes down low and then as much time as it takes up high.

I should start some collards because I have some. Not the same as callaloo, but close enough.

And rice, of course.

But not pigeon peas because my wife hates them.

Added in edit: I did make the collards and they were really good. And I got to use up some bacon that needed to be eaten and a bit of onion that was just sitting around. Good food and cleaned out some of the fridge!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    Just made cornbread and was thinking about Bill.

Anyone heard anything? It's been a few days. I'm a little concerned.....

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  13. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

It’s all good. We have taken our first trip since my heart surgery (last Dec) and the COVID19 outbreak up to Jasper, Ga to see our kids. Great visit but in the mountains internet service can be kinda sketchy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  14. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Tonight was a salad made with lots of stuff that needed to be eaten soon or thrown out. Some bits of red onion, red bell pepper, English cuke, green beans, arugula, bibb lettuce, radishes and the like.

And a simple oil and vinegar dressing.

It was great.

• Like Like x 2
  15. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Jambalaya tonight with two left over jerk chicken thighs chopped up and smoked Texan kielbasas.

The jerk chicken thighs were incredible.

• Like Like x 3
  16. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    My Dioon edule palma sola has a foot of trunk and is almost as high as my 6 foot 2 inch head.

My really old dioon edule is a variety from much further north (palma sola is from near Veracruz) and was one of the last ones legally taken from Mexico. I have all of the legal paperwork on it. It is now producing lots of "pups". It is very happy in my yard. It is a female plant and so is my palma sola variety, so no viable seed ever.

I have two Ceratozamia hildea with a male and a female that cone every year, but I guess that I don't have the right insects to pollinate. I have yet to get viable seed. Maybe next spring I will intervene to get viable seed..

• Like Like x 1
  17. Bazza

Bazza Moderator

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    That's very cool. I'm not experienced in hand pollinating myself, but do remember learning how to access the stamen and pollen on the bird of paradise flower. Ironic that the plant tends to multiply itself by clumping anyway so easy to propagate asexually.

I sold my 3 biggest Bismarck Palms yesterday as well as a Dwarf Sugar which frees up a little space here but I still have to clear some stuff out. I have a zillion Crinum Lillies...both green and purple and boy do they take up space!

You can see one of my Queen Sagos in this pic.....and the fronds of the other one which is right there too....

[​IMG]

18. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Enough.

Goodbye.

19. GatorLurker

Apr 8, 2007
    Back to dinner.

My wife will be making asparagus risotto as she is genius with it.

I can make it, but she makes it very well.

• Like Like x 1
  20. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    We are grilling fillet mignons with baked potatoes and fresh asparagus also done on the grill at Tim & Kayla’s.

Ice cold col’beers and wine on their back deck this afternoon/evening is top shelf.

The weather has been outstanding on the mountain this past week. We head back home in the morning.

Life is good in Gator Nation.

• Like Like x 3