Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Our 3 TD Drives vs Auburn

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by Distant Gator, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    Our 3 TD drives vs Auburn were...

• 2 play drive. (Perine no gain, Swain 64 yard Td.)
    • 2 play drive. (Perine 10 yards. Hammond 13 yard TD.) Not counting a penalty.
    • 1 play drive. (Perine 88 yard run.)
    We had some nice drives w/ Trask and, unlike Auburn, only had 2 3-and-outs until clock-killing time. But we didn't score on any of them. Not one single point.

It was like we had to score quickly or we weren't going to score at all.
    Obviously I excluded the drive under EJ.

I don't know what this means, but I think it's significant.

2. Zepgator

Zepgator GC Legend

Oct 18, 2010
    It is concerning, but we obviously did enough things right to win the game. I know the staff will be working with Trask on what to do when the pockets collapses. If he can improve there, we will be in better shape.
    One thing I don’t understand is why we rarely throw a fade and when we have 3rd and short, just have Pitts cross the first down line then throw it to him high - nobody can stop that.

3. exiledgator

exiledgator Gruntled

Jan 5, 2010
    Maine
    I think it means we are turnover and mistake prone - like most teams. 11 play drives are hard to sustain. That's 121 chances to make a drive killing mistake of one kind or another.

As discussed in the recent turnover thread - I think this may be life w/ KT. Feast or famine. At least until the staff coaches him (and others) up a bit more.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
  4. Distant Gator

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    3-4 Turnovers/ game will not win you many games. Thankfully Auburn committed as many as we did.

One thing I spotted on re-watch is that the play before the Trask 4th quarter fumble should have been a TD.
    We ran option left and Davis was wide open as a pitchman.
    There was NO ONE on that side of the field- the Auburn DBs were watching our WRs and had run with them into the EZ.

So if trask pitches it then Davis gets at worst 10 yards, but probably a TD.
    Instead Trask ate it for a 2 yard loss.
    And the next play- bad fumble. So Trask not pitching cost us 7 big points.

Thankfully the D rose up and saved us- yet again.

I really think we need to adjust our playcalling for Trask.

• Like Like x 1
    • Off-topic Off-topic x 1
  5. kryptonite

kryptonite GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2008
    I think that puts too much on KT. Take a few minutes and check the condensed version of the game and watch the pocket collapse quickly from all sides over and over.

This week we are facing a team that has two DL who are questionable to play, meaning they will be limited if they play, as well as their best LB. We may actually be able to protect KT more this week and maybe even run the ball more effectively to take more pressure off of him.

I do believe that with the Auburn defense, Mullen knew that the drives were too hard to sustain and was hoping for explosive plays. We only got a couple.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. 31g8r

31g8r Senior

Oct 20, 2013
    It means on those 3 drives we got the match up we wanted and everybody executed their assignments.

The other drives had breakdowns, penalties, fumbles but with EJ Ed moves the ball enough to kick a FG

As stated elsewhere, winning on offense against really good defenses doesn’t mean scoring it means minimal 3 and outs moving the ball for field position and dare I say winning TOP.

Last Saturday we accomplished all the above and as a result you get the 88yd scamper on what should have been a small gain to medium gain.

As an aside, if we had been as proficient covering punts like we have most of the season we would have pinned AU inside their own 15 at least 2 more times in the second half in addition to the time they started inside their 10

• Like Like x 1
  7. GatorNavy

GatorNavy Tally me banana Moderator VIP Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Space Coast
    I watch a lot of option football and saw that play develop and agree it could have been a TD if the pitch was made. I was poised for it, but it wasn't meant to be.

In Trask's defense the pitch relationship was not ideal and he would have had to pitch it left handed. A full time option QB would probably have nailed it, but I will cut Trask some slack on that one.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Gatorchip

Gatorchip All American

Feb 3, 2010
    Getting the match ups you want, aren't 50+ yard plays. that's Auburn messing up too. We can't always count on broken plays to win.

9. 31g8r

31g8r Senior

Oct 20, 2013
    Disagree, in the passing game our ability to put 4-5 legitimate game breakers on the field at once means we have the opportunity house the D

Hence our ridiculous number of explosive plays and the average scoring drive data since we had to go with KT.

We aren’t relying one one goto player for production. This is related to scheme and mismatches not necessarily defensive breakdowns. Although, you could argue the scheme led to the breakdown this is totally different from a player “brain fart’

• Like Like x 1
  10. Distant Gator

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    I think it's both.
    The 2nd TD was a good pass/ route/ execution and field position. This was the one on the ensuing possession after the Davis INT.
    I take that one out.

But the other 2 TDs were both a good scheme and a brain fart by the D.
    The 64 yard Swain TD on our 2nd play was not a long pass, but Auburn's secondary obviously didn't close well.
    That play going for 64 was more their mistake than our scheme.

The Perine TD was a thing of beauty and was a nice combo of both.
    We had 3 WRs on the left, which Auburn covered w/ 4. So only 7 guys to beat.
    6 were in the box, with 1 safety way back.

Perine went to the right, broke a tackle close to the line, then broke another tackle by the safety after about 15 yards, and then used his natural speed to go the final 70+.

So the scheme opened up the right side of the field, but certainly Auburn should have made at worst the 2nd tackle.
    And our playmakers certainly worked their magic.

11. 31g8r

31g8r Senior

Oct 20, 2013
    Totally a agree on the late run it was set up for 4-8 yd gain. I limited my response to passing plays and I included the data points since KT took over. The catch and run TD also included spacing from the other routes.

I was just responding to the OP trying to glean something from 3 lightning scoring drives and then fumbles from pressure sacks from a relatively green QB

Our scoring possessions since inserting KT have been rather short and relatively quick WRT TOP. Without looking it up I’d guess under 6 plays and maybe 2:40 TOP on average
    Quite a refreshing change.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2019
  12. Bazza

Bazza GC Hall of Fame

Jan 2, 2009
    New Smyrna Beach
    It means we played against a very good defense.

Not complicated at all.

They had the same deal.

13. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    If we score with long drives, people lament that we can't execute any explosive plays.
    If we score with explosive plays, people are concerned that we can't sustain drives.

From my perspective, if we score by any means, all that matters is... that we scored.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. 31g8r

31g8r Senior

Oct 20, 2013
    AMEN

Well said and to the point. Scoring is all that matters. I’ll add that in 19 games we have scored more than the opposition 16 times and not just 1-3 point sit on lead wins. I look for at least 4-6 more in the regular season this year.

It also looks like some of the nervous nellies who earlier this year were afraid of almost all SEC opponents except Vandy are growing accustom to expect winning games against even or better competition.

Scoring and winning 2018-present is healing the wounds left open since 2010

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  15. Distant Gator

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    From my perspective, I want to have sustainability. I also want us to finish drives with at least a field goal.
    I would suspect that most scoring is done after longer drives, historically.

My concern is not our short scoring drives. I love what this does.
    And like I said, I think a lot of it was scheme, not just luck or dependence on a bad play by the defense.
    We also had a 1 play drive vs FSU last year- a long Perine run.
    I don't think that's a coincidence that 2 recent games had a 1 play, long run by Perine.

But I do think we should be able to finish drives without fumbling away and coming up with zero.
    Over and over again.
    If we do this against LSU or UGA or another good team, we will probably lose.

So my point is that (perhaps) we should adjust something to curtail these mistakes.
    I'm not sure what.

I also thought it was interesting that our longest scoring drive under KT was 2 plays, and perhaps others thought that was interesting as well.

16. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Really agree with your thoughts about troubleshooting and eliminating the mistakes that keep us from finishing drives. I just have never cared how we finished them and scored, whether it be from quick strikes or long sustained drives, they all count. I guess the defense probably cares, because they have to get right back in the trenches after a short drive, but, from my fan perspective, "machts nichts."

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. GatorFanCF

GatorFanCF GC Hall of Fame

Apr 14, 2007
    BIG PLAYS
    BIG PLAYS
    BIG PLAYS

The upside/downside of most games is six to eight key plays. We traded turnovers. We scored TDs and Auburn scored FGs.

This is the difference between now and the last 7+ years. We make big plays on offense and we will win. Score 24+ points and CBS said we’re unbeaten in the last several years. Trying to score by dinking and dunking 3-4 yards at a time is insane. It inevitably involves a penalty, 4th down, or turnover. I have no problem scoring quickly. SOS recommended scoring TDs over FGs. I’ll take his advice.

18. Distant Gator

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    I loved the Spurrier era and his mindset.
    It seemed to be a total opposite of the BAma "power football" M.O. But it worked- it really worked.

I think I remember a stat that our average drive was less than 2 minutes during some of the glory years.
    It just destroyed the opponent- both mentally and physically. (Physically cause they were exhausted. Mentally- obvious.)

It didn't help our D stats, so Muschamp disapproved, but what a time to be a Gator.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. missourigator

missourigator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 13, 2007
    But everytime KT goes back in the pocket and is hit; he seems to fumble. Unless that is corrected it is going to cost us down the road. I am hoping with more practice he will develop a pocket presence. We can't as this moment have long drives because we can't run. Perine's run while great was a touchdown because of two missed tackles.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  20. ncg8or

ncg8or GC Legend

May 28, 2007
    We had a 7-minute time of possession advantage against Auburn and 11 more offensive plays. The quick scores and all the turnovers made it a weird game, but it wasn't like our D was always on the field. We have a pretty deep DL and that's the position group most prone to getting worn down when a team loses the ToP battle. I don't know what it all means either, but I'd say we're pretty well situated to handle a game where the other team tries to grind out long drives on the ground...like UGA will.

• Agree Agree x 1