Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

OT: Tampa Bay Rays Playoff thread 2021

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Oct 7, 2021.

1. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Peppering that baby wall without a chance to kick it over this time!

2. ExSS99

ExSS99 Freshman

Oct 21, 2015
    On a boat
    What a come back! Let's go Rays!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    What a play! (And what a reason not to wear that stupid style of running glove, because I’m not sure whether he came off or not but you can’t see it through the giant shoe horn he has strapped to his hand.)

• Like Like x 1
  4. Pasco08

Pasco08 GC Legend

Sep 5, 2013
    Dade City FL
    That was such an amazing throw

5. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Love this team! So much grit and fight in em...

• Like Like x 1
  6. Pasco08

Pasco08 GC Legend

Sep 5, 2013
    Dade City FL
    I hate Boston, The teams, The fans just everything.

Rays hurting me again.

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. GatorBen

GatorBen Premium Member

Apr 9, 2007
    Whelp, hopefully that was the Rays version of the Bolts getting swept in 2019. Ready for those back-to-back titles in the next two seasons.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    Weak argument imo, as the Marlins played for years in the old Dolphin stadium with very few rainouts. Rainouts were not the reason they built a new stadium. I know I attended 25-30 games per year. Simply put, the football stadium sucked for baseball, but they did win 2 WS there.
    Yes, Marlins now have a beautiful open air stadium and attendance sucks because mgt and the team suck. Put a good product on the field and attendance improves. They proved that during the WS trips eons ago.
    MLB stadiums have evolved to the open air/retractable roof concepts (except for the classics like Wrigley). Fans are comfortable, but players arent playing in AC/artificial turf, which was my point.
    If Rays fans are happy with the Trop, that's fine, but get prepared to lose the team.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Stings, but this is still a team thst has earned a great deal of respect, is still very young, and has a lot of promise and upside.

Very likable team; im proud as hell of them representing TB, and i assure you, these Rays are envied by many a baseball community. Prolly 25 MLB cities out there that would love to swirch rosters straight up.

10. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Gotcha on the Marlins. I was at their first World Series, and, I'll take your word for the rest. It was definitely like watching a baseball game in a football stadium there (kind of like watching a college football bowl game in the Trop.)

I think everyone is ready for a new stadium at this point in the Tampa Bay area. It's not coming. I don't see any way the Rays don't go away in 2027 (to Montreal) for half their home games, if not all of them. But, I've still never avoided going to a game in St. Pete just because everyone else has a better stadium or because it's inside in the A/C.

11. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    First of all, I like downtown St Pete. It's come a long way from "God's waiting room". It is now a very trendy place. If I lived in St Pete I would probably attend a few games and then hit one of the restaurants or vice versa. However, crossing the bridges at rush hour is a major problem.

Also, agree on location being the biggest problem, hard for people not in St Pete to get to games. Disagree on the attractiveness of the Trop tho.

As for the Marlins stadium, it is beautiful, but very debateable that it was a built in a better location. I actually think it was built in a worse location... due to politics. A big chunk of the Marlins fan base came from Broward/PB and wont travel down I95 to Little Havana, especially in rush hour. Marlins previously played at Dolphin stadium, which sucked for baseball, but is on the Dade/Broward line, easily accessible for all 3 counties.

• Like Like x 1
  12. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    The troo needs to be in the Tampa side. It has 50 percent more people and proximity to more populations in the neighboring counties north south and east. Not to mention younger with more disposable income on average. And no one want to fight bridge traffic during rush I’m hour to get to a 7p game. But politics in Pinellas won’t let that happen anytime soon. Sad because there’s potential there for a good organization, the rays are one of the best franchises in the NHL with one of the best fanbases. The Bucs do well too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

I am sports fan on a deep level. Too deep at times. Too invested perhaps.
    I love all my teams, but the Rays and Magic are the two without a title. I am more invested in the Rays then the Magic.

There is nothing more in sports that I want more than a WS title. Gators have their share. Bolts have theirs. Bucs and Dolphins have some.

Man this stings. My little boy is eleven and really into it now too. I let him stay up late and watch these last two heartbreakers.

Oh well. I guess we can wash it down by watching the Bolts raise a third banner tomorrow night. Time to go for the three peat. Looking forward to that thread.

Enjoyed it my fellow Champa Bay fans.

• Like Like x 2
  14. GatorFanCF

GatorFanCF GC Hall of Fame

Apr 14, 2007
    Welcome to the (disappointment) club! The pain of these years will eventually be replaced by the joy of winning it all - especially when combined with your son.
    Signed,
    Formerly long suffering Red Sox Fan.

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007

FWIW, I wasn't born a Gator, or into the Gator family--I grew into it. Matriculating at UF, and going to the games, is what made me a Gator.

....but before I ever stepped foot on campus or fashioned myself a Gator, I had great respect for Gator Nation, due to its incredible following, despite never having won anything (no natty's and only SEC's were stripped from them).

The Bucs were horrible for decades, and I loved that they couldn't break my heart.

...and was thrilled when they were flirting with greatness, let alone when they finally closed the deal in '02.

The point I'm getting at, is that championships are indeed awesome--but the thing that makes them special, is the years like this one and last, and '08 before... when they're on the cusp, and in the mix....

That's the stuff that makes sports addictive, that gets inside you.

By contrast, the Twins and Marlins have won 2 WS's each...and their following dwindled shorty afterwards.

Savor the Rays being in the mix. That's the good stuff.

Championships are gravy.

jmho/fwiw.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  16. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

@wingtee and I will disagree on this but I actually don’t agree with you here. I think the Rays have a terrifically deep roster but I don’t think it is a roster that maybe 10-15 teams would switch for. I think Cash (during the season at least) manages them very well.

Franco and Arozarena would be desired by everyone. After that, the other 6 fielders I am not so sure. Lowe had 30+ HRs but his postseason numbers two years running are atrocious. And I mean ATROCIOUS. Z had a breakout year this year but he was mediocre at best in Seattle and is on the downside regarding age (32ish).

The pen is deep but the starters aren’t what they were just last year.

I think Tampa has the best 16-40 man roster in baseball but they don’t have the best 1-15 players (or close).

That said, they are fun. They play as a team. They are solid in every single phase. They can weather injuries better than anyone because of their extreme depth. A great organization but I think their roster overachieved this year.

• Like Like x 1
  17. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Most of the teams I care about have 1 title at least (though none with more than 3…) except the Rays, Magic, Fulham FC, and the USMNT.

The Magic aren’t winning one any time soon…

And Fulham won’t ever win one… But Craven Cottage is a brilliant place to watch a soccer game.

The USMNT, I deluded myself this summer into thinking 2026 was possible but based on qualifying right now, not sure I am still optimistic.

The Rays though. They could. Hopefully soon.

• Like Like x 2
  18. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    I might have overstated things ever so slightly....can't deny a slight light bluish tint to the lens I was looking through...

But all the teams that I've seen the Rays play against, and there's none that I look at and say "man, i wish we had their team". Instead, the more teams I see them take the field against, the more they prompt me to think: "damn, we got it pretty good!"

So yeah, guilty as charged on the homer count, and I probably couldn't produce anything to substantiate the '25 cities'....just articulating my appreciation of our team, and projecting some *pity* about others.

And doing so, to underscore my pride in and for this team, over the disappointment of the series.

fwiw.

19. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

If the two Shane's can become what they seem top be capable of and the Rays can get a decent SP in free agency they will be golden. Nick Anderson coming back would be huge for the pen.

20. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    Ok, enough about the Ray's, time to talk about the real southern baseball team, the Braves.

• Dislike Dislike x 1