Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

OT: Tampa Bay Rays Playoff thread 2021

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Oct 7, 2021.

1. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Milwaukee Braves?

Guess you cant get much more southern than that...in Wisconsin. :p

2. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    The Dodgers win 7-2 at Ebbets. Final and deciding game tomorrow at the Polo Grounds.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  3. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    They have been in Atlanta longer than the rays have been a team.

4. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    But the Rays' pedigree isn't yankee tainted, like your Milwaukee via Atlanta Braves. :devil:

(...and you did proclaim them 'the real southern team' ).

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. danmann65

danmann65 GC Hall of Fame

May 22, 2015
    They were in Milwaukee for like twenty years before that they were in . . . Ooh, you may have a point.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Yuck, no teams left worth rooting for, the Red Sox seeking their 5th title in 20 years, the garbage can Astors, the Dodgers/Giants or the Cobb County Braves...

Boo.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Rooting for Longoria at this point. Otherwise I root for the meteor.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. gtr2x

gtr2x GC Hall of Fame

Aug 21, 2007
    And before the Braves were in Milwaukee, they were in Boston. Cant get any more Yank than that, not that it matters of course. Of coruse the Rays may soon have a Canadian connection.:devil:

9. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    Go Red Sox! Go Braves!

• Like Like x 3
  10. VAg8r1

VAg8r1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I'm old enough that I actually remember when the Dodgers played at Ebbet's and the Giants at the Polo Grounds.

• Like Like x 1
  11. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Daytona Beach
    Pretty solid post Greg . Sometimes you surprise me.

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    I would add Joey Wendle to that desirable-by-most-teams mix. Reminds me a lot of Ben Zobrist. Solid defense, can play the whole infield, good at-bats, very few mental mistakes or base-running blunders, comes ready to play, a guy you feel good about when he walks up to the plate in a tight spot. Brandon Lowe I'm over. Can't hit a lick in the postseason despite 30+ HR regular seasons. Too many strikeouts, too.

13. tilly

Rumor is that KK is on the block. Teams will line up for the best defensive CF in the game that also bumped his average to north of .250 this season.
    Yes you want more pop from your CF. But he saved multiple runs in the ALDS with his defense and was a fluke bounce away from the RBI that might have saved their season.

I want KK back, but he has a higher contract than the Rays like for a non pitcher and he may be a guy they can get a good arm or two for. But he is a guy a lot of teams would want. Especially one that already has a great lineup but may lack defensive prowess.

Phillips is a really solid defensive player too, so maybe you keep him on the cheap, and trade KK to improve the rotation.

With Walls at AAA a decision about Lowe has to come somewhere. Maybe Lowe to DH for a while?

Lots of decisions ahead, but this year they are loaded with more options than usual and that is exciting.

14. TrueGator

Nov 11, 2014
    Should be a very interesting and active off-season for the Rays. Unfortunately, they get a headstart on that. As far as KK, I thought that he was going to be dealt at the trade-deadline. Tells me that the front-office was all-in on a WS title that he didn't go. Rays don't keep players making upwards of $10M for long (look at Charlie Morton at a reasonable $15M, who could have made the difference this postseason). Now that the run is over for the year, KK is gone.

15. tilly

I tend to agree. KK is sorta the current Longo, in that he is the longest tenured guy.
    Longo was a different level of course, but KK has been through it all for the Rays.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. TrueGator

Nov 11, 2014
    I do know KK wants to stay. But, "wants" don't mean much when your dealing with millions of dollars.

17. tilly

I am curious to see if he found something with his swing.
    He it almost .259 this season after really struggling at the plate the previous 3 years (.217 .228 .217). His eye improved as his OB% jumped as well.
    But man, he literally steals runs in the outfield. Seems like almost daily.

• Like Like x 1
  18. TrueGator

Nov 11, 2014
    Best defensive outfielder I've ever seen. At the plate, he is better, but, not really good yet. He usually steps in the bucket and pulls away from the outside pitch. Once in a while he will go with the pitch and take it to the opposite field, but, generally, he gets caught cheating toward first and fouls it off weakly. I'd absolutely say keep him if we could, though; his defense is that good (both glove and arm).

• Like Like x 2
  19. hoyt233

hoyt233 GC Hall of Fame

Aug 31, 2009
    Prattvile, AL-Go Lions!
    Weren't the Rays eliminated?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    In 1951, we got the shot heard round the world. In 2021, 109 wins apiece gets decided by a horrible call on a check swing. Uninspiring endings for uninspiring times.