Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

OT: 2020 Tampa Bay Lightning/Tampa Bay Rays Playoffs Thread

Discussion in 'GC Hall of Fame' started by tilly, Aug 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Speedofsand

Speedofsand GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    GOAL!!! 7.8 seconds
    2-1 Bolts

2. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Wth just happened?

Tampa payed like garbage for the first two periods. Took terrible penalties, cheap shots, got out hustled, lost every big face off, and they still won.

penalty kills won it for them, a 5 on 3, a five minute major, and gave up nothing.

• Winner Winner x 1
  3. Swamp55

Swamp55 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    Tampa
    A real gut punch for the Islanders! A brutally hard-fought game that NY surely must have thought they were going to win. Very physical game throughout.

Remarkable that the Lightning could finish off this win with only 9 forwards available for much of the game. Great work on the PK tonight.

If Point is OK, the series has taken a decided tilt toward Tampa.

Go Bolts!!!

10 down, 6 to go. ⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡

• Winner Winner x 1
  4. Speedofsand

Speedofsand GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    I missed the 1st. Point looks questionable, getting the W tonight is crucial over being 1-1. Man I enjoyed the SportsNet broadcast 100% more than nbcsn with all the fake noise and music blasting over their announcers.

5. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

Loved Coops reaction on the bench!
    So much adversity tonight.

Huge win for the Bolts. Devastating loss for NYI!

6 wins away!

6. tilly

Tomorrow night we can relax and watch the Rays continue Tampa's dominance over Boston teams!

• Like Like x 2
  7. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    Moving a little closer to that Bolts/Rays/Gators magical season that you've been hoping for...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Killorn is suspended for game 3.

9. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    So without Killorn and Point, three defensive end turnovers lead to goals, and the guy Killorn cheap shot’d got the game winner.

hopefully that game wakes them up, and they need Point back.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. tilly

Yeah...even down two main pieces (three counting Stammer), it took OUR mistakes for NYI to win on a very late goal.
    I still think Tampa is vastly better than NYI and if Point is good, this thing ends in 5 or 6. Kuch has stepped up his game. Playoff Tyler Johnson showed up last night and Vassy rarely has two off nights in a row.

11. Swamp55

Swamp55 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    Tampa
    The Lightning dominated this entire game 4. A very clean win. Now a 3-1 lead in the series. Looking very strong for the good guys!

11 down, 5 to go!

Go Bolts!!! ⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡⚡

• Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  12. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Mostly disciplined today and that meant a win.

back to worrying about Point though.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. TrueGator

Nov 11, 2014
    I spoke with a family member about this last night. My Aunt & Uncle's mailing address was just across the bridge in Superior, WI, so, maybe the hill that they owned and later sold (probably in the early 1980s) was on the Superior side. That would rule out Spirit Mountain in Duluth as the site, because it looks like the current recreation area there was built in the mid 1970s.

• Like Like x 1
  14. tilly

Point's injury appears to be of the nagging variety. Coop basically said he would have to play through it during the postgame.

Generally in hockey if you stay on the bench, you are ok. My guess is once the lead went 3-1 it made sitting him an easy call, but he stayed on the bench in case it tightened up and we needed him.

Lets not forget, and I know this drumbeat is getting hollow, but Stamkos is not ruled out going forward. There is a chance we are fully loaded in a potential Stanley Cup final.

Frankly, I hope he can play a little, just so if we do win it all, he can be on skates with the cup.

15. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Could be Mont du Lac?
    Mont du Lac Resort | Affordable Outdoor Family Fun in Superior Wisconsin

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  16. TrueGator

Nov 11, 2014
    I think that might just be the spot. I have seen pictures where you could see a body of water below a sloping hill, so I think that fits the location. This also seems to match the timeframe since I can see news articles where people say they started skiing there in the early 1980s. And, my brother was trying to say Fond du Lac, which is in the wrong spot, so, maybe Mont du Lac is it. Thanks for the help! Have you skiied there? I remember my Aunt and Uncle did get ski privileges for life from the new hill as part of the deal when they sold.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2020
  17. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I don't ski downhill, so haven't ski'd at MDL. They have a few disc golf courses on the property though, and I've played those. With the hills, it's the most rugged disc golf I've played. MDL holds some decent-sized and wide open hills, so I imagine the skiing is decent as far as the Midwest goes. Best skiing up here is probably at Lutsen.

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  18. TrueGator

Nov 11, 2014
    Great to know you've gotten continued enjoyment out of the property. Thanks again for the info.

• Like Like x 1
  19. stp_gator

stp_gator GC Legend

Nov 16, 2017
    St. Pete
    This Islanders fan reaction video is one of the funniest things I’ve seen in a while. Enjoy Bolts fans!

“Noooo! This is crazy!” The guy on the right with the death stare as you hear the horn blow for Lightning goal #2 is just priceless. What a gut punch for the Islanders to go from up 1-0 to down 2-1 in 12 seconds.

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Important now that Dallas won last night to get this thing closed out.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.