Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

OT: 2020 Tampa Bay Lightning/Tampa Bay Rays Playoffs Thread

Discussion in 'GC Hall of Fame' started by tilly, Aug 11, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GatorLuke

GatorLuke GC Legend

Apr 3, 2007
    Florida
    Congrats on a great season Rays. Not how we wanted it but someone had to lose.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. KronoGator

KronoGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    He can swap loser stories now with Mike Martin.

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. keefer

keefer If I Was Any Dumber I'd Be You Premium Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Gator City
    Here you go Dodgers, enjoy your WS title.

Signed,
    Kevin Cash

4. Swamp55

Swamp55 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    Tampa
    Yep, a real shame that it ended the way it did. But, this team earned a hell of a lot of respect from the baseball world this year. I am very proud of what they accomplished with the resources available to them. The Tampa Bay Rays went much further than anyone expected at the beginning of the season. They are still my guys, and I can't wait for next season. I hope that we actually get to see them play in person then. Go Rays!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  5. altalias

altalias GC Hall of Fame

Aug 13, 2008
    Pulling Snell was the "Rays way". In retrospect it was the wrong decision but it is hard for me to be angry when they played the hand that has been winning for them.
    Tough loss. Great season. Thanks for the memories.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. tilly

tilly Superhero Mod. Fast witted. Bulletproof posts. Moderator VIP Member

With SIX strikouts.

7. tilly

This.

Kevin Cash is arguably the best manager in baseball. This is the case because he does these things and they almost always work. This is his first deep playoff run. He will get others. Hope he learns from it. 162 games of analytics can get you there, but some gut has to kick in when it's win or go home. He will learn from it.

People were calling for Jon Coopers head for similar gaffs, but patience made him a Stanley Cup champ.

I slept terrible last night. The team I have rooted for since day one was so close. It hurts....but Rays Up. The future is bright. Wander is about to get a call up and be a superstar. Randy is a young star in the making. Lowe and Meadows bats will reawaken with a healthy full season. Diaz and Choi will find their stroke. Maybe Yoshi finds his power stroke from Japan. The Rays hit a midseason slump. Trouble is, mid season was actually the playoffs this season....oh and the pitching staff is elite.

We will be back.

• Like Like x 2
  8. tilly

Well this thread started 43 playoff games ago with a 5 OT thriller that set the tone for the Bolts.

10 weeks later we have:

The Stanley Cup
    Phillips Game 4 walk-off
    A 5 OT winner by Brayden Point
    3 series ended with OT goals (CBJ, Bos, NYI)
    Stamkos Goal
    Brosseau's homer off of Chapman
    Revenge vs the Astros
    Revenge vs the Blue Jackets
    Beat the Bruins (again) in a playoff series.
    Beat the Yankees in a playoff series.
    Randy Freaking Arozarena
    An American League East Title
    An American League Pennant
    A world Series appearance.
    The best boat parade ever.
    43 playoff games.

Not too shabby.

Now....GO GATORS!!!!!!!!!!!

• Winner Winner x 2
  9. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    Mike Martin hangs over this somehow.

10. Spurffelbow833

Spurffelbow833 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 9, 2009
    Like no other team, the Rays are in a position to force television to recognize that there are more than 2 teams in MLB. I'd love to see that AL East become a perennial 3 team dogfight.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    It’s easy to second guess Cash, but he did exactly what he’s done all playoff. Get to the fifth or sixth and go to your pen Which has been lights out. I had the sound down while watching so don’t know if they were discussing it, but as soon as the single came in the sixth I assumed Snell was done and was fine with it.
    It just didn’t work this time. But it’s hard to criticize a strategy when it’s worked just about every game in the playoffs to that point.

Dodgers were just a more talented more experienced team and it showed. No shame in how the series went.

Now the question is whether they can hold on to the talent or it gets traded away again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. tilly

Nah. Let Boston rot in the mess they have made.

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. tilly

No need to trade the talent. They only have one free agent (Loup) and most of the guys are locked up for a while.
    This team has a nice little window here.

14. 92gator

92gator GC Hall of Fame

Jun 14, 2007
    Losing last night sucked, but the season wss awesome, they rocked the playoffs, and were hugely game against teams with like 10-20x their salary, even besting the yanks, sox, and 'stros, and only coming up a little short against the team with the best record in the MLB

I still respect the hell out of Cash. No 2nd guessing here, and i long ago forgave him his alma mater.

Great season. We still get to keep the AL Penant (not like boxing where winner gets the loser's belt...just saying...).

To next year!

RAYS UP!!!

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. tilly

When do pitchers and catchers report and when does the puck drop? :)

16. big_slick

big_slick Freshman

May 15, 2020
    Cash was on autopilot stuck to his analytics. Zero feel for the game in real time and the fact that snell was fresh and dealing. Dodgers were elated when Cash sh-t the bed. Plain and simple. The new reverse Grady Little.

17. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    I believe Zunino and Morton also have final year options to decide on. For Morton, the decision is his. Probably the case for Zunino, too, despite the batting average.

18. tilly

Actually Morton's is a team option. He said this week he will return if offered.

19. tilly

Yep, but he gets way more from way less than anyone else. He will learn from this. He said it was a mistake. That is the first step.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. TrueGator

TrueGator GC Hall of Fame

Nov 11, 2014
    True, it is a team option. But, Morton's option is whether to retire or not, so, he holds the cards in reality. I think the Rays will want him back for $15M.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.