Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

OT: Scott Frost and Nebraska

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by ncargat1, Jul 3, 2019.

1. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    New Nebraska wins the Big 10 in 2020. Quote me

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Wileegator

Wileegator Junior

Apr 3, 2007
    Done

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. spike718

spike718 GC Legend

Apr 11, 2007
    I hope frost and Nebraska suck. However, the big 10 west blows. The history of Nebraska football is basically garbage for throwing qbs so I would expect every qb to break records every year. But the 4 wins? Minnesota, Bethune cookmAn and Illinois who stink. Biggest win was over a bad Michigan state team. I would assume they would Improve in year 2. The schedule should help.

4. Gator_druid

Gator_druid All American

Oct 20, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    I think both programs got the coach they needed.

• Agree Agree x 3
  5. wrpgator

wrpgator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 12, 2013
    Frost will put the University of Nowledge on the football map again.

6. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan Senior

Mar 17, 2019
    He's main problem is the recruiting base at Nebraska. In the old days, only a few teams are consistently televised. Now, even the small newer schools are on TV every where. Instead of going to Nebraska, some of these diamonds in the rough players are playing somewhere else. A lot of people here are complaining about gators recruiting. They should see what Nebraska has right now. They have maybe 4 guys committed and none are a must get to the other top teams we are competing with.

7. rpmGator

rpmGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Nebraska and Texas Tech

Selling boring is what they have to do

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. thale410

thale410 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah, that's a recipe for a short tenure in Lincoln. He better show something, quick.

9. number1

number1 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2011
    It's literally all they have out there. lol

10. crescent_beach

crescent_beach Freshman

Sep 25, 2016
    And yet, he and his staff took a bunch of 2 and 3 star no-names and rejects (don’t get me started on the joke that is the recruiting services, where rich parents and street agents bribe websites and the fat pasty basement-dwellers who run them to boost little Johnny and Antwan’s star ranking) at UCF and won a lot of games. And beat a bunch of teams, including Auburn and all their recruiting superstars, in the process.

Yeah, I don’t think he’ll win a national title at NU, not without a little luck. But he’s proven he can identify unwanted high school talent to run his system and win big doing so. He’ll find plenty in Florida, Texas, and California that can’t get offers from the SEC, Texas, and the PAC-10/12/16/whatever to come run his system. That pisses off the star gazers because it doesn’t fit the narrative that a lack of mythical 5 stars= failure. Complete BS. He’ll recruit well enough to Nebraska to consistently win the Big 10 West, putting him in the Big 10 championship game just about every year, and can beat the East champion every few. Most years, winning the Big 10 puts you in the playoff- northern/eastern media bias, money, etc.

Nebraska doesn’t play an SEC schedule. It doesn’t need SEC players, let alone silly recruiting championships, to win the Big 10. I’m guessing he’ll do just fine with what he can get. Much like Dan has proven, and will continue to prove, that he can identify and develop talent and win, stupid recruiting rankings be damned. Don’t get me wrong, recruiting is incredibly important... but more so is coaching.

That’s not how you win at EA Sports NCAA Football 2004, though- you simulate your way through the annoying season and recruit your way to success! It works in fantasy land so that’s gotta be the way to do it in real life, according to the recruiting dorks.

• Like Like x 1
  11. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    If good players will not go to rural places to play, why aren't there more championship squads emerging at Northwestern, UCLA, Temple, Houston, Vandy, etc? Clemson & Tuscaloosa are in the sticks. Gainesville is no major metro, btw.
    As for cold weather, the annual avg low temp in Clemson is 49. The annual avg low in Lincoln is 40. The annual avg low in Eugene, OR is 42. Has cold weather ruined the football programs in Ann Arbor, College Station, Madison, and South Bend?
    Those arguments are fools gold. The best football players will go to the best football programs, regardless of geography, climate, or urban/rural situation.

• Like Like x 1
  12. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan Senior

Mar 17, 2019
    Wait a minute. Are you accusing me of being a recruiting dork? I'm far from it. I don't give a damn about the recruiting services. I trust UF coaches and believe that they know what they are doing. That's why it cracks me up when I see posters here get bent out of shape when we miss out on 5 stars. Are you UCFhonors? Apparently I triggered something that appears a slight on coach Frost/UCF. I merely stating the obvious. Recruiting is not everything, but you still have to have some players to fill your roster.

13. grant1

grant1 GC Hall of Fame

Nov 10, 2009
    wouldnt surprise me me if they are in the playoffs before we are. He could do the same as he did at ucf but with the the Nebraska brand getting him in.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  14. Oklahoma came back, Nebraska can, too. They have virtually the same tradition, circumstances, geographic challenges and recruiting territory. I personally think the lesser Big 10 teams are way below the caliber of much of the Big 12 or ACC and Frost should be feasting on Iowa State, Minnesota, so forth, early and often.

There is no question though that Frost is not the coach Stoops was in his prime.

They need 1 or 2 speed recruits and a good S&C for those cornfed prairie boys on defense and they can play with anyone. They seem to have a QB they can build around.

15. crescent_beach

crescent_beach Freshman

Sep 25, 2016
    Not accusing you of anything. Only quoted you since your post was recent and you were discussing recruiting challenges. In general, I agree with what you said.

My post was more in regards to others that have commented on this thread and this site re: recruiting ranking obsession.

• Like Like x 1