Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

OT: Lightning Playoff thread.

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by tilly, Apr 14, 2018.

1. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    Dude plays a mean pocket trumpet too.

2. GatorSean

GatorSean GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Well this is just an ugly way to end the season.

Now I guess I have to cheer for Vegas. o_O

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  3. tilly

tilly Superhero Moderator with bulletproof posts! Moderator VIP Member

C'mon man. We are mostly Floridians here. Many of us grew up in Tampa. What is the point here. We came to talk about our team for a month long playoff run. And you have been on our butts from the first puck drop.

Wanna bet Tampa wins a cup before any of the mediocre Canadian teams win one?
    Wanna bet every fanbase has someone booing injured players?

I mean c'mon man.

4. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    They got out toughed the last three games. One big enforcer short in this series.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. tilly

Stammer and Kuch we just terrible in 6 and 7. Stunning to score zero for 8 periods after winning 3 straight.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Did Stamkos suit up tonight? Hard to believe Holtby skunked them for the last 2.5 games. Lost the first 2 and the last 2...3 of 4 at home.

7. ArtDeco

ArtDeco GC Hall of Fame

Sep 26, 2011
    Detroit Rock City
    Cmon man indeed.
    Tilly, I'm a hockey fan. I respect the Tampa players. If Vasilevskiy doesn't win the Vezina, there's no justice. I've commented more positively on your team's chances than you did, at times.
    I just wanted to know why Lightning fans are booing an obviously injured Brooks Orpik. And there was no penalty, so it wasn't booing a call.
    I'm not "on your butt", sorry your team lost. It really was a good run, and an especially good series.
    For those of you that watch Tampa all the time, I'd appreciate some commentary on what you think went wrong. IMO, this was Tampas series after Game 5. Were there any line changes made, injured players missing, odd pairings, etc? I think it
    was just bad puck luck. I mean, I counted 2 missed open nets tonight (Gourde and Killorn). Any thoughts?

8. CaptUSMCNole

CaptUSMCNole GC Hall of Fame

May 23, 2007
    NCR
    Finally!!!

Capitals had two games to Caps it away and fold their tents but actually played to win and pulled it off.

9. tilly

I think the only whiff by the front office was trading Boyle. Guy was as scrappy as they come. They need a tough center against teams like DC.

10. tilly

Apologies Art. You just came after Tampa fans from the get go, and it bugged me.

As for your question...
    Team needs a little grit with the glitz. (Thus my Brian Boyle reference)
    They are the most talented offensive team in the league. But can get pushed around a little bit.

The biggest disappointments were Kuch and Tyler Johnson IMO. Johnson is a playoff winner. He has had big moments in his career, but not this round. Kuch seemed afraid and tentative.

There is really not much excuse for letting a team with a shallower roster beat you in a long series when you have home ice. Tampa has no one to blame but themselves. Hotlby is good, but these two shutouts are mostly on the poor play of Tampa. They have to own it.

Take nothing from the Caps. They deserved it. Wanted it and got it.

Tampa is on the cusp. Loaded with young talent that is locked up for a long time.
    Stay the course. Make minor tweaks. This team is here for a long run.

• Like Like x 2
  11. ArtDeco

ArtDeco GC Hall of Fame

Sep 26, 2011
    Detroit Rock City
    You would know better than me, but they looked really really tight tonight. Afraid to lose. By no means am I putting this on Vasilevskiy, but for the life of me can't understand why he didn't pokecheck that first Burakovsky breakaway. He was closer to the puck than Burakovsky was.

12. tilly

Vasy struggles out of the crease. This was my earlier mention of Bishop a week ago. I think this part of his game can improve with experience and some coaching. All three goals were stoppable tonight. 2 under his armpit and on five hole.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. GatorHighlights

GatorHighlights GC Hall of Fame

Dec 11, 2009
    Any fellow Caps fans here?

No?

Ok.

C-A-P-S CAPS CAPS CAPS!!

C-A-P-S CAPS CAPS CAPS!!

LET’S GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

• Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. T3goalie

T3goalie Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I want Ovechkin to win just so he shakes hands at White House with Trump and the news media goes crazy!

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  15. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Sounds like my Red Wings after guys like Joey Kocur and Darren McCarty were long gone. All finesse ain’t enough.

16. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Tampa is too much of a finesse team, imho. They are a fairly small team also. That doesn’t play so well deep in the playoffs. They were completely mauled in game 6, and that’s where they lost the series. They had no luck in game 7 either.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    Would be fun to have the expansion team win

18. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    Don Cherry is awesome.

And we were outclassed by the Caps. I didn't have the same emotional fire in this one as I did Boston. I guess that's because I actually respect the Caps whereas I see Boston as a bunch of inferior hacks who only get over on us because they get in our heads. But from Game 1 you could tell the Caps were the real deal. Take Wilson. He's just a tough dude (waxed Coburn). Not a douche like Marchant, not a petty little cheap-shoting bitch, but a real-deal tough dude. And Ovechkin. . . he's just the best player in the world (IMO, and no offense to Crosby). An absolute beast.

I don't really care who wins, but the Caps and Ovechkin winning their first IMO is just as good a story as Vegas winning as an expansion team.

19. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    I wish Hedman would get a mean streak. He's one guy who can physically match those guys. But you are correct. My first impression from the first 2 minutes of Game 1 was, "These guys are fast. . . and big."

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. CHFG8R

CHFG8R GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2007
    St. Augustine, FL
    Let me guess, you sit and watch the game for no other reason than to cherry pick insignificant things to bitch and moan at the TB fanbase about.