Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

OT is Fields > Lawrence?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by believer, Jan 2, 2021.

1. believer

believer GC Legend

Jun 2, 2007
    Asking for some friends in Jacksonville. He certainly looked far superior last night.

2. propagator

propagator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Fields did look better last night but I think Dabo’s QB has a better NFL career

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. StrengthAndHonor

StrengthAndHonor Senior

Dec 30, 2009
    Tampa Bay area
    Tough to gauge when you only play 7 games vs 12.

• Disagree Bacon! Disagree Bacon! x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. WC53

WC53 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 17, 2015
    Old City
    Trask > Larry :)

5. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    Lawrence didn't play 12 games.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. bobbybaker86

bobbybaker86 GC Hall of Fame

Sep 4, 2017
    Keeping it all the way real, my best and I peeped this past year....against comparable talent, Lawrence has only looked great once and that was against Bama in 2018. Other than that, he’s looked solid and that’s about it

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. scooterp

scooterp GC Legend

Feb 15, 2012
    No, it was 1 game. You can’t dismiss the other 30 games played. He’ll be the first QB drafted and should be.

• Agree Agree x 3
  8. phideltdj

phideltdj GC Hall of Fame

Aug 7, 2007
    Fields played great last night but sometimes a qb gets hot. If you evaluated Fields after the NU game you would not be saying he is better than Lawrence. They both should do well at the next level.

9. hawaiigator

hawaiigator All American

Sep 9, 2018
    Fields was just fresh from all his rest is all

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. spincycle81

spincycle81 All American

Oct 10, 2015
    Fabio had no time to throw last night. Let's not get carried away, he's still really really good.

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    True buuuuut he looked rather like JAG against OSU and LSU (one of the worst LSU teams defensively in some time) last year too.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Wanne15

Wanne15 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 18, 2015
    Fields better learn to duck or his career going to be short.

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. tegator80

tegator80 GC Hall of Fame

May 29, 2007
    Richmond, VA
    Fields looks like Haskins 2.0. You roll the dice and take your chances. He may be the next hot commodity in the NFL and he may be another flameout.

Trevor may be the next great modern QB or he may be Andrew Luck, nice but not transcendent. I still say he is the best option for the Jags. Too much paralysis by analysis.

• Winner Winner x 2
  14. bobcatgator

bobcatgator Junior

Nov 24, 2011
    Lawrence had one of his worst games and Fields had one of his best. Hats off to OSU and their offensive game plan and scheme which did wonders for Fields confidence. Lawrence did not have his OC which seemed to shake his confidence. Based on what I saw, neither did a good job going through their progressions (which makes me appreciate Trask so much) but OSU had the better run game by a mile which made things easier for Fields. Clemson was crushing OSU on the perimeter so I have no idea why they were trying to force the run. I believe Lawerence will still be the better pro based on his overall body of work and throws he has had to make in his college career. I also strongly believe Fields will be average at best with a high likelihood to be a bust because he has rarely had to make contested throws ever because of their offensive scheme. Just my take but what do I know.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. thom1507

thom1507 Junior

Oct 13, 2019
    I was impressed with Fields last night. I actually did think he went through his progressions pretty well (one of the long TDs was probably the 3rd receiver). He's inconsistent at this point, his last couple of games were not very good at all.

I actually think Fields has more to learn and would further improve if he came back another year. Yeah, not gonna happen and he can get that qb coaching while making money next year. I don't think Lawrence has really improved much this year leading me to believe he needs to go to improve his skills.

Both have the ability and opportunity to be really good. It will depend on who puts in the work even when their bank account is fat.

16. mcogator

mcogator Senior

Nov 22, 2016
    Torrance, CA
    Fields looks like a better college QB, but Lawrence will most likely be a better pro QB. But who knows, these things are a crapshoot. Very few had Herbert on being the best pro QB, but he is looking that way. We'll see if the sophomore slump effects him.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    now about T Law, i do keep forgetting that he was without Elliot at OC and it wasnt like it was known early in the week he wouldn’t be available, they learned of this 3 days before hand so no doubt that affected their playcalling. Thanks for mentioning that

18. bobbybaker86

Sep 4, 2017
    as a Jags fan one thing Lawrence will have is some young offensive talent. We gotta clean up the OL because Jawaany has been average at best buuuut maybe having a QB worth a damn will help him

19. savannahgator5220

savannahgator5220 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Savannah Ga.
    Fields looked great. Sure helps that OSU owned the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball.

• Winner Winner x 1
  20. 62gator

62gator GC Hall of Fame

Dec 4, 2007
    Sarasota, FL
    Fields didn’t play all that great in several of their previous 6 games. He played great in the 7th game, it was just one game though, all be it a big one. Pressure and no pressure is the key with him, he’s a completely different QB with and without pressure. Still don’t believe he would be all that against a full rugged schedule week in and week out. He’s maybe a notch above being Haskins 2.0

One pro analyst:
    “Friday night's game was the best I've ever seen him play. In his previous three starts, Fields had a touchdown-to-interception ratio of 4:5 and took 11 sacks. He wasn't decisive in those contests. It was the complete opposite story versus Clemson, though. He was urgent, trusted what he saw and let it rip. Fields had as many TD passes (6) as he had incompletions (6), finishing 22 of 28 for 385 yards with one INT and two sacks. It was a spectacular performance.”

There are some whispers of concern about the long throwing motion TL has. He has all the makings of being a really good pro QB though and definitely deserves being the clear #1 pick.

• Winner Winner x 1