Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

OT Dizzy Dean

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by scrappygator, Feb 17, 2023.

1. scrappygator

scrappygator VIP Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Gainesville, FL
    I realize this is OT. But Dizzy Dean was always one of my favorites over my growing-up years. He and Pee Wee Reese were on the MLB broadcasts and were a hoot.
    Here are some of his quotes:
    Anybody who's ever had the privilege of seeing me play knows that I am the greatest pitcher in the world."
    "He (Branch Rickey) must think I went to the Massachesetts Constitution of Technology." Source: The Sporting News (March 26, 1936)
    "I ain't what I used to be, but who the hell is?"
    "I can't tell you why there's a delay, but stick your head out of the window and you'll know why."
    "If Satch (Paige) and I were pitching on the same team, we would clinch the pennant by July fourth and go fishing until World Series time."
    "It ain't braggin' if you can back it up."
    "It puzzles me how they know what corners are good for filling stations. Just how did they know gas and oil was under there?"
    "Son, what kind of pitch would you like to miss."
    "Well what's wrong with ain't? And as for saying (Phil) Rizzuto slud into second' it just ain't natural. Sounds silly to me. Slud is something more than slid. It means sliding with great effort."
    And one of my favorites, he always called Yankee reliever, wild and 'blind' Ryne Duren Ryne Narn.

There used to be a satellite golf tournament in Hattiesburg, MS, called The Magnolia Classic. Dizzy, at that time, lived in Bond, MS, about 30 miles south of Hattiesburg. I saw him play at the Pro-Am a couple of times. He talked and cut up non-stop

That was an interesting tournament. The Pro-AM had a lot of celebrities come.
    Clint Eastwood, Phil Harris, Robert Stack, Glen Campbell, and Bobby Goldsboro made the tournament an instant attraction for patrons unaccustomed to rubbing shoulders with movie stars. Dean Martin's golf clubs showed up one year; Dean didn't make it. Something about a subpoena just before takeoff. FBI agents met the flight in Hattiesburg.

Singer Pat Boone joined the fun another year after being promised $7,500 to entertain at the pro-am party. He sang one song. "Most expensive song," Morgan said, "I've ever heard.

Some of the world’s greatest players, such as Nick Faldo, Tom Watson, Johnny Miller, and Paul Azinger have walked the hills of Hattiesburg Country Club at some point in their careers. Some of the more notable champions include Craig Stadler, Roger Maltbie, Russ Cochran, Jim Gallagher Jr., and the late Payne Stewart, who won his first Tour event here in 1982.

Dizzy retired to Bond. He died on July 17, 1974, due to a heart attack in Reno, Nevada. Pat and his brother Paul survived him.

Dizzy Dean – Society for American Baseball Research

• Like Like x 5
  2. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    I recall him pre Pee Wee Reese with Buddy Blatner. Was it not the Falstaff Beer Game of the Week?

The most memorable was a game with few in the outfield bleachers. During a break like a pitching change the camera went to the OF bleachers where a couple was kissing. Pee Wee said he likes to kiss her on strikes, naturally Dizzy said, she kisses him on the balls. It was the talk in school the next Monday.

• Winner Winner x 3
  3. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl
    350–

This triggers a similar story with Mrs. Arnold Palmer being a guest on the Johnny Carson Show—she was his guest and he asked her “As long as you and Arnie have been together is there any tradition or ritual that y’all have before he plays in a tournament for good luck?”

She most straightforwardly answered “why yes I always rub his balls”…

Carson immediately replied “I bet that makes his putter flutter!”…….

She immediately stood up and walked off stage…:rolleyes:

• Funny Funny x 2
  4. GatorLurker

GatorLurker GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Dizzy's toe injury in the 1937 All Star game and his trying to come back too early really shortened his career.

• Agree Agree x 3