Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

OT: 1996 NC Song - C'mon N' Ride It (The Train)

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by GATORJV, Apr 10, 2021.

1. GATORJV

GATORJV Senior

Oct 10, 2014
    Hey guys,

I was listening to Siriux XM and they mentioned the information below before playing
    C'mon N' Ride It (The Train). I was 8 years old living in Gainesville and went to pretty much every home game and don't remember this being a thing. Granted, I was young. But I remember a lot about that season. My dad was a student at the time and doesn't remember.

Does anyone else remember this? I wanted to ask here because I never knew this.

The 1996 University of Florida football team (The Gators), appropriated this song and made the "blowing the horn on the train" gesture to signify big plays. Their coach, Steve Spurrier, wasn't sure what those crazy kids were doing, but he didn't like it.

2. ThePlayer

ThePlayer VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007

• Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
  3. scooterp

scooterp GC Hall of Fame

Feb 15, 2012
    My mind went to Alabama when I saw song title. Forgot about that one

4. Gatorfred

Gatorfred GC Hall of Fame

Oct 15, 2012
    Girl, I wanna waller in the back of my Impala

Some of the best lyrics ever.

5. FearNoSpear

FearNoSpear GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Ocala
    Quad City DJ's were out of Jacksonville. Wouldnt surprise me. I dont recall the Gators doing it but a lot of players did that motion around this time. We did it in high school after big hits or running someone over.

6. Distant Gator

Distant Gator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    I don't know if it refers to the same song, but I remember our players doing the 'train song' in the build-up before the 1995 Fiesta Bowl vs Nebraska.
    I remember our players doing it in the stands during a media days type of event.

Then the next year, Spurrier mentioned it as he spoke about how the prep this year would be different.
    He said "we're gonna take it more serious" we're going to do something else, and closed with "and we're not gonna do that silly train song" in his Eastern Tennessee twang, which went up an octave or 2 when he was mad or annoyed. And it was way up when he said "train song."

So yeah- you could say he didn't like it.

PS- All of the above is from my memory....Someone feel free to correct if I missed something.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. NUM1GATRFN

NUM1GATRFN GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Acworth, Georgia
    You are correct - that train song was used by the 1995 team - through an undefeated regular season - all the way up until that beatdown in the desert (shudder). 1996 team did no such stuff like that

• Like Like x 1
  8. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    lol@Spurs not liking it. Lighten up coach.

9. Distant Gator

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    Based on our performance in the 95 game vs the 96 game, it appears SOS was right.

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. orangeblue_coop

orangeblue_coop GC Hall of Fame

Nov 19, 2016
    We lost that game because we ran into a buzzsaw that was arguably the greatest college football team ever, not because our players were doing a silly train motion.

11. Distant Gator

Apr 9, 2007
    Upstate, SC
    IMO that FSU team we faced in 96 was almost as good based on NFL draft picks.
    I know that 96 FSU team had 4 first rounders in the 97 draft, plus 2 more in 98. So we faced 6 first rounders on that Crim team.
    Not sure how many NU had- but probably not 6. (That said- NU was better than FSU. I'm not disputing that point.)

Further- while yes doing a silly train song in and of itself doesn't lose a game, it does speak to mindset.
    And from all I've read, we went into that 95 game pretty cocky. Not just confident, but cocky. The song was a symptom of that.
    Then we ran into what you rightly call a buzzsaw. And we were not so cocky any longer.
    But if we had had the right mindset, it would have been a better game. It's all opinion, but I'm sure we would have given them a better game.

I know this because we DID have the right mindset in the 96 game, and we took that Crim team apart. 52-20.

When the talent, coaching, etc is close, then mindset is really important.
    And if it takes playing a song, or not playing a song, to get in the right mindset then you do it.
    So yeah- SOS wasn't so off base after all. He knew his team.