Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Osu star Chase Young, anyone seeing this?

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by pd_gator, Nov 8, 2019.

1. Gatorcola

Gatorcola GC Legend

Jun 14, 2014
    This is interesting in light of the recent statement by the NCAA stating it will allow athletes to make money off their name. What would keep agents from paying athletes? We all know the used car salesman is going to do some of this, but I hadn't thought about agents.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. incoldblood

incoldblood GC Legend

Nov 30, 2016
    Family:

Bagman: Here’s your money.
    Chase: Thanks, bro’!

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. zephyr

zephyr Freshman

Oct 24, 2019
    I am confused. At the point of college, why would an agent pay a student athlete?
    To secure his employment after the athlete goes pro? Doesn't the athlete usually pay the agent? Can anyone elaborate this for me :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. GaGator1

GaGator1 Sophomore

Dec 6, 2015
    He won’t be suspended beyond those 2 games. If the big 10 loses Sohio state for the playoffs then espn loses the entire central/midwest tv market. No way that will happen, they won’t even do anything about Georgia’s running back and the 80K vehicle he drives. Parks it in the handicap parking spot, even leaves it running while he goes inside to eat.
    Some programs the NCAA will never investigate. Not saying uga provides it but somebody sure is.
    It’s an unlevel playing field.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  5. GaGator1

GaGator1 Sophomore

Dec 6, 2015
    Be swept under the rug so fast it won’t even be news in 2 weeks

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. GaGator1

GaGator1 Sophomore

Dec 6, 2015
    Boosters not agents. These players families get new jobs, new houses, new cars as soon as they sign with programs such as this. Money goes to the family and then funneled to the players. Look at Buford High School in Buford GA they get players to move into town to play for the high school and no matter the education or experience their families suddenly get a new job offer from someone in the immediate area.

7. merinker

merinker All American

May 28, 2019
    Agent “loans” the athlete money in exchange for him signing with that agent when he turns pro. Then the agent is entitled to a cut of what he makes after that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  8. atlmover

atlmover All American

Feb 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    He'll be suspended for 40 games.....to be served AFTER he graduates.... isn't that how it's done for Ohio State?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. GaGator1

GaGator1 Sophomore

Dec 6, 2015
    Agents......not agents it’s boosters. Agents have to register in most states, boosters are just people who like a particular university and want to see them win. Usually at all cost so their money is under the table and goes to family to be forwarded to the players

10. gatorich

gatorich GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Pensacola, FL
    Good thing it’s an acronym!:cool:

• Like Like x 1
  11. GaGator1

GaGator1 Sophomore

Dec 6, 2015
    Sorry not agents.....agents can go to jail, boosters never get caught or charged.

12. atlmover

atlmover All American

Feb 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    if the infraction in question was from the 2018 season and he played in all the games in 2019 wouldn't they have to forfeit those games because he potentially was playing as an ineligible player?

• Winner Winner x 1
  13. cincinnatigator

cincinnatigator GC Hall of Fame

Mar 5, 2017
    That'd be a real bad look for him considering OSU is in the driver's seat for playoffs.

14. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The "family friend" is likely the booster who helped recruit him to OSU. The loan was a bag of cash. This is no different than the uncle down the street who goes to the Dodge Charger dealer in Alabama and arranges to buy that Charger thru the dealer and then loans it to the player just after signing w/ Bama.

The NCAA does not have subpoena powers, thus they cant get their hands on the paperwork of that Dodge Charger. So how can they prove any cheating?

Ole Miss OL Laremy Tunsil, from Lake City Florida I recall, said on draft day he was paid by Ole Miss to sign w/ them. Why would he pass on UF or Fsu, or even Bama, Lsu, Auburn to go play at Ole Miss? Ditto Laquan Treadwell, the all Amer WR from Chicago who went to Ole Miss.

I find some of this absurd. A star high school qb in Hawaii, of all places, signs with Alabama. Ok, that makes some sense, to a degree. Oddly, his parents and family are easily able to move from Hawaii to the similar culture of Alabama, get jobs, a home, etc so as to see their precious son play. How nice.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    The lingering effects of 1984 still hang over UF. That awful probation from 35 years ago still affects our Administration, our current recruiting and lack of buying cars, bags of cash etc for 5 star players. If we had never been caught back then, skated, Pell would have won a NC or even several, Bowden would have been fired, and we'd be the Bama, Uga, Osu king of the road still today. Just my opinion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. atlantagator86

atlantagator86 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Alpharetta, GA
    In all seriousness, how many people here would actually borrow money from a family friend you've only known for a few years as most? If you need to legitimately borrow an amount of money that's going to need to be paid off, you're probably going to go to family first and your personal friends next. I'd think you'd have to get pretty far down the line to ask a "family friend" for money.

My guess is he took money from somebody and when he or maybe the school found out, he quickly tried to pay it back before it got out, so he could call it a loan.

• Agree Agree x 2
  17. SJB612

SJB612 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 12, 2007
    Did he get free tattoos as well?

• Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  18. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

The NCAA will buy that bullshit.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. novagator

novagator Junior

Jun 20, 2014
    Why would OSU go after a “family friend” that they introduced to Chase?

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Claygator

Claygator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Your comments about the "family" friend are most likely right on.