Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Osayi Osifo

Discussion in 'Nuttin' but Net' started by Efawcett7, Mar 30, 2020.

1. 33hoop

33hoop VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    Lexington, KY
    Are you counting those that transferred?

• Winner Winner x 2
  2. BA69MA72

BA69MA72 GC Legend

Apr 8, 2007
    I would. No one who transferred that I recall has done anything at a P5 level—or even transferred to a P5 school, except Stone (zzzz)

3. akaGatorhoops

akaGatorhoops VIP Member GC Columnist

Apr 10, 2007
    yes.

I’m not expecting a coach to be perfect, but having followed White his entire head coaching career... I’ve become very confident in his talent evaluation skills.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. tampajack1

tampajack1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Here’s some of White’s recruits: Hester, Bassett, Gak, Ballard, Stokes and Okauru. Those were either recruiting mistakes or White didn’t know how to coach them.

5. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    Or....
    3 of the 6 players you listed suffered season+ ending injuries.
    Hester was a reach.... an effort to get some bodies in his first class. The same could be argued for Bassett - who had similar “wasted scholarship” predictions and forecasts that he’d never play. Yet, despite significant injuries, we are now lamenting his departure as a grad transfer.

Okauru was a late flyer after having lost a kid we had once lamented recruiting bc he was an unrated prospect. That lost player? Shai Alexander.

I think white failed w/ Ballard, who I expect will be a good player.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. gatordavisl

gatordavisl VIP Member

Apr 8, 2007
    northern MN
    I like the analysis from those who say “wasted scholarship” esp as there is no analysis.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    Stokes was a 300 pound slow of foot big man when White signed him. He then tore his ACL. He recovered from his injury before being tossed into the discard pile. Gak is the only legit injury case in the bunch. Hester is a pretty good player, but he might have been misused by White. Again, I don’t know if these guys were recruiting mistakes, or if White simply didn’t coach them up (as Spurrier used to say).

8. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007

Stokes blew his knee out after signing with White... and his weight blew-up during that time, but more damaging... his conditioning went to hell. He arrived overweight and out of shape....unable to partake in conditioning, let alone basketball. While he “recovered” from his injury, his conditioning did not... at least not during his time here. He wasn’t tossed into a discard pile... he opted for it.

Bassett had a foot injury that nearly ended his career and had him out of the game for over a year. That seems like a rather “legit” injury case.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2020
  9. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    You are not correct about Stokes. He was a slow-footed, our of shape 300 pounder before his injury. I saw him play and reported on it. I told the people on this board that he couldn’t rebound and was a poor defender, but he had nice ability on offense. I then saw him blow out his knee, and I reported that on this board. He was in better physical condition before he left Florida than he was before the knee injury. As to Bassett, he was a thin, but pretty talented player when he played at OLdsmar Christian. I saw him play. He was actually a pretty decent perimeter player. He bulked up at UF and did get injured, but it was hard to tell last season whether injuries kept him on the bench late in the season or whether White simply chose not to play him. He looked pretty good when he did play.

10. INGATORSWETRUST

INGATORSWETRUST GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    Florida
    I think Mike White recognized some of his recruiting challenges and depth issues, which is why he worked so hard on the transfer market. Bringing in a grad transfer like Barry worked well. His first few recruiting classes misses the mark, but the last two, as well as his incoming class were quite good.

11. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    This incoming class doesn’t look like a strong one to me, although I really like the Russian kid. Hopefully, the other 2 kids develop over time.

12. Donnell

Donnell VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Wonder with Lewis coming back if Lane redshirts.

• Like Like x 1
  13. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    If everyone, or everyone other than Nembhard, come back, it would make sense for Lane and Osifo to redshirt.

14. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    Here is every single player Mike White has signed. This starts in 2015, so it includes the class that was mostly recruited by Donovan, but it seems fair to give White at least partial credit (or blame) for the guys he held on to in that class.

Anyway:

KeVaughn Allen
    Keith Stone
    Kevarrius Hayes
    Justin Leon
    Eric Hester
    Dontay Bassett
    Gorjok Gak
    Chase Johnson
    DeAundrae Ballard
    Isaiah Stokes
    Mike Okauru
    Andrew Nembhard
    Keyontae Johnson
    Noah Locke
    Scottie Lewis
    Tre Mann
    Omar Payne
    Jason Jitoboh
    Ques Glover

It's probably not super-productive to go through that list one-by-one and label them. There are plenty of successes on that list and there are plenty of...less-than-successes on the list. White deserves the usual deference a coach receives in terms of talent evaluation (we all understand that these coaches know more about these players than we could ever hope to), but it's hard for me to look at that list and think that Mike White has reached "unquestioning trust" levels.

Like, it's easy now to shrug off Okauru as a "late reach" to fill a sudden roster vacancy, but that wasn't the spin at the time. There were plenty of people who applauded that signing as a wonderful, under-the-radar Mike White special. He only became a disposable contingency retroactively once it became clear he wasn't going to work out.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. tampajack1

Apr 3, 2007
    To whom did it become clear that Okauru would not work out? Presumably to White, but why. Okauru got less than 7 minutes of playing time per game in his sophomore season. That's not enough playing time to figure out anything. He is now at UNC Wilmington, a mid-major. He was able to play immediately. I am looking at a box score of the Wilmington vs College of Charleston late season game. Okauru played 35 minutes in Wilmington's upset win. Okauru had 17 points, 9 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 steals, 1 block and 2 turnovers. He was 3 for 5 from the 3-point line. Maybe things would have worked out for Okauru at UF if he was given a chance.

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    It is perfectly reasonable to question Osifo as a prospect. By all accounts, he is extremely raw and limited offensively. That's not to say he will be a bust/wasted scholly, but the odds aren't exactly in his favor of being an impact player. He's much more likely to end up a role player off the bench. Nothing wrong with that. Every team needs those players. If I'm not mistaken, he was the first recruit in this class. This is noteworthy as he was not a late addition/Plan B/Plan C guy just to fill out a class.

At the time he committed I just assumed we were heading towards another big recruiting class of 5/6 players and he would be a developmental/project type kid you commonly see in big classes. As it turned out, it wasn't a big class and I think it's legit to question whether White jumped the gun on taking his commitment so early. Perhaps White already knew we were going to strike out on all the top prospects in this class. That's my guess.

17. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    It’s not “spin”. Okauru was a late addition, and signed out of desperation bc we lost Shai.
    Certainly there was optimism over the pick up, but that doesn’t change the circumstances of the signing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. akaGatorhoops

Apr 10, 2007
    it’s certainly reasonable to question.

it may be a little less reasonable to make a declaration about it being a “wasted scholarship”.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. diamondted13

diamondted13 GC Hall of Fame

Jan 1, 2008
    Man. That was a quick response. I've since edited my post (in which I speak to that declaration).

• Funny Funny x 2
  20. number1

number1 NBN Bracket Master

Oct 9, 2011
    Just wish he could get that talent to perform well for a full game consistently......

• Agree Agree x 2