Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Orange Squad Sweeps Series vs. Blue (Apple's Recaps for each game)

Discussion in 'Diamond Gators' started by gatorjjh, Nov 19, 2019.

1. gatorjjh

gatorjjh A Gator with a Glass half full attitude Moderator VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Tuesday, November 19, 2019
    Orange Wins Pitching Duel in Series Opener
    Daniel Apple
    The Orange team won 2-0 (six innings) on Tuesday afternoon in the first game of the Orange & Blue Series, the annual conclusion to finish fall ball.
    Kendrick Calilao hit a two-run homer in the top of the first inning and the pitchers did the rest.

The Orange team won 2-0 (six innings) on Tuesday afternoon in the first game of the Orange & Blue Series, the annual conclusion to finish fall ball.

Calilao's two-run shot provided the only scoring in the game. Five pitchers combined for the six-inning shutout for the Orange squad. Kevin Martin, Nolan Crisp, Ryan Cabarcas, and Justin Alintoff each pitched scoreless frames and David Luethje tossed two shutout innings to finish off the scrimmage.
    Orange Wins Pitching Duel in Series Opener - Florida Gators

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Gatorgal04

Gatorgal04 Lowly Fan Moderator

Apr 3, 2007
    Titletown, FL
    Good stuff. Sorry I won’t be able to make the last scrimmages. They start too early, but I understand they need to catch the daylight.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Wednesday, November 20, 2019
    Orange Bombs Way to Series Win
    Daniel Apple uaa
    Jud Fabian went 3-for-3 with four RBI and a home run, one of four for the Orange team on Wednesday.
    After winning a pitching duel on Tuesday, the Orange team flexed its offensive muscle to win 13-2 against the Blue squad in Game 2 of the annual Orange & Blue Series.

Sophomore Jud Fabian went 3-for-3 with a home run and four RBI on the afternoon as the Orange team totaled four homers in the game. Kirby McMullen, Brady Smith and Isaac Nunez also homered. Kendrick Calilao had a pair of doubles and a RBI.

For the Blue team, freshmen Josh Rivera and Nathan Hickey each went 2-for-3 at the plate and Austin Langworthy went 1-for-3 with a single.

On the mound, Tommy Mace led the way for the Orange side, allowing two runs (one earned) over three innings of work. Christian Scott worked two scoreless innings with four strikeouts to finish out the game.

With the win, the Orange side wins the series. The Gators will still play Game 3 as scheduled on Thursday (3:45 p.m.).
    Orange Bombs Way to Series Win - Florida Gators

• Informative Informative x 5
  4. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    Great to see the hitting showed up but this was supposed to be the day with our best pitching. Hopefully its like others on here have said the hitters have seen the same pitching for most of the fall. I guess Leftwich had some trouble because he's not mentioned. Very happy the Ocala Connection came thru again at the plate.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. gatorjjh

Apr 3, 2007
    Irvine, Fl
    Thursday, November 21, 2019
    Orange Squad Sweeps Series vs. Blue
    Daniel Apple UAA

For the second day in a row, Jud Fabian and Kirby McMullen homered for the Orange in an 8-1 win
    After two scoreless innings, the Orange squad blew it open with back-to-back big innings to beat Blue 8-1 and sweep the annual Orange & Blue Series.

For the second day in a row, Jud Fabian and Kirby McMullen homered for the Orange side. Seven different players notched an RBI for the Orange. McMullen led the way with a 2-for-4 day, a home run and a RBI double. Kendrick Calilao and Andrew Roberts also had a pair of hits as the Orange side totaled 10 hits on the afternoon.

The Blue team scored its lone run on a RBI single from Nathan Hickey that scored Josh Rivera.
    On the mound, Nick Pogue allowed one hit with five strikeouts in three scoreless innings for the Orange team. Kevin Martin and Nolan Crisp also tossed scoreless frames for Orange.

Blue's Jordan Butler cruised through his first two innings before giving up four runs on six hits in the third. Ben Specht allowed four runs on four hits in two innings of work and Justin Alintoff tossed a scoreless frame.
    Orange Squad Sweeps Series vs. Blue - Florida Gators

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  6. Matherly87

Matherly87 GC Hall of Fame

Oct 3, 2016
    Ocala, FL
    The Ocala Connection comes thru!!!
    Glad to read Pogue, Martin and Crisp doing well. ON TO JANUARY!

• Like Like x 2
  7. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Love this team's potential.....but feels like the pitching staff picked up this fall right where they left off. Guy is lights out one outing or for a few innings and then gets shelled. Still a ton of inconsistency from pretty much everyone, including the vets. Has to drive Sully nuts cause the talent is there

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  8. 74nole

74nole GC Hall of Fame

Apr 9, 2007
    Marianna, Fl

apk—

Agreed, just don’t have the feeling of “that guy” being on staff that pulls the wagon.....

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. apkgator

apkgator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Exactly....I have no idea who he fully trusts to give us a great start, eat some innings, or even get a key out. There are 10 guys that can strike out the side one minute and then give up 4 runs the next.
    The crazy thing is it's everybody.....you name a pitcher and we can find the example of unhittable turning into a gas can. Maddening

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Wish I would have said that Wish I would have said that x 1
  10. gatorbogey

gatorbogey Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    s. e. florida
    Sully might be quicker to pull a pitcher this season. And or, might see lots of shorter outings.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. salt72

salt72 Freshman

Sep 29, 2019
    I have watched Barco for 4 years. Seen almost every start he made during high school. I have confidence he will be this pitcher at some point next year. Lot to ask from a freshman but I believe he will be the guy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Fistbump/Thanks! Fistbump/Thanks! x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  12. gtj31

gtj31 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 8, 2007
    London, United Kingdom
    There have been a number of freshmen that rocked from day 1. My biggest question is the wall that is often reached in May. The college season is 15 starts give or take. That is a big step up for a lot of HS arms. My hope is they move him to the rotation by mid-April but that means UF needs a solid 3rd arm to get them to April. Maybe Scott?

13. BSBLGATOR

BSBLGATOR VIP Member

Aug 19, 2018
    I thought Pogue did a solid job being a Freshman Sunday guy. Kind of got thrown to the fire and handled it really well I thought for a young guy in that role. 3 out of his last 4 starts were solid.

• Like Like x 5
  14. gatorfan5220

gatorfan5220 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    This incoming recruit class along with developing sophs make this a very interesting situation.

Preseason practice starts in just two months. I can't wait.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. MatsideObserver

MatsideObserver GC Hall of Fame

Apr 24, 2008
    Agreed and he seems to be much more consistent this fall than the other candidates.

• Creative Creative x 1
  16. MadduxFanII

MadduxFanII GC Hall of Fame

Apr 10, 2007
    There's not any pitcher on the team I can confidently predict will actually be good next year. I'm sure we will have good pitchers, but there's not really anyone who's proven he can be an above-average SEC pitcher. That's a tough position to be in - you like to at least have a couple proven arms you can pencil in for a bunch of innings.

• Agree Agree x 2