Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Orange Bowl edition The Fifth Quarter: Gators v UVA post-game discussion

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by gatornana, Dec 30, 2019.

1. manigordo

manigordo GC Hall of Fame

To those who complained about the defense:
    Yeah our tackling, especially in the secondary was bad. Safeties were awful...like the last 2 years. However, Amari Burney was playing a lot of the star role for the first time this year after Trey Dean got beat early.

The defense was only "soft" at the end when we went into the dreaded "prevent." God, I hate prevent.

I was at TX A&M when Manziel was tearing us up in the first half and we switched the D to simply contain him in the second. It was that switch that won the game for us. The plan was the same last night. Took them out of their running games pretty well and it took some monumental plays on their part to get score on us. Grantham was not perfect, but he was not as bad as folks on here allege.

The pregame announcers were right. We were not as focused for an entire game as Va was. Greenard, Perine, Reese, Elam, Pitts and the OLine get props for excellence. Sorry for missing someone.

Coaching staff has the team ahead of schedule. We are going to be about 7 in the nation for a couple of years in a row with a record few some coming 2 years ago.. Enjoy it. Every football analyst in the nation believes we are on the cusp of greatness.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  2. malscott

malscott Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    West Hills, Ca
    Just my 2 cents...

I don't see our DC as the problem at all. Has he had bad days? yeah. So have our players. As mentioned, his concern was containing the QB, and as slippery as that dude is, we did a decent job. Give credit to their receivers and their QB, they made some really tough plays and played hard to win that game. They played balls against the walls and looked good doing it! At the end of the day, we need better players in the secondary. Can't expect kids to play way beyond their ability (well, you can, I suppose) and then when they can't pull off a miracle blame the coach. Second year and we were right with LSU and Georgia. We actually played a really good game against LSU in their stadium-who else did that this year? We kind of blew it against Georgia. I don't see coaching our "D" as the problem, I see it as a bit of a deficit in the secondary. In the Georgia game the kids were out of position, and their guys had a pretty stellar game. Fromm also had a pretty clean Jersey when the game was over...we didn't have much of an answer to their O-line.

Offenses can trick defenses all the time. Defenses can get tricky, but if you can't cover, and the other team can pass and catch..."Huston, we have a problem..."

The way I see it is sometimes you get your ass beat. Sometimes you can will yourself to win games you shouldn't win. The problem is sometimes the others teams 'will' and talent gets in the way...

11 Wins? Come on man. :cool:Things are looking pretty good in Hogtown

Very proud of our team and coaches.;)

Go Gators:D

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

Evan McPherson came through in a big way last night. Both clutch long FGs and the PATs were huge to our victory.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  4. GatorGrowl

GatorGrowl Forum Admin Moderator VIP Member GC Staff

Jan 19, 2012
    Paris, TN

5. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    That will change when we get some 5* athletes

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    UVA played us tough and their skill guys are exceptional. We are thankful for the W

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    Wrong !

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    Missed tackling was a big issue.
    Tackling is want to , technique and most of all courage! We fell short !

• Like Like x 1
  9. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    For you to be the Def Coordinator!
    Sees like you know Defense better than TG

• Funny Funny x 2
  10. wingtee

wingtee GC Hall of Fame

Apr 11, 2007
    Latitude Margaritaville
    We have a DC that is on staff. He has NFL teams after him . I think we will be ok next fall

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

I’m inclined to agree. I think the biggest problem is one of personnel. We haven’t had Zuniga and Greenard both healthy since early October. Our best LB is coming on board in 2020. Our safeties and CBs are pedestrian - we’ve just hyped ourselves into believing otherwise. So, severely compromised pass rush and average defensive backfield. And no depth.

This is what I’m hoping is the problem because it’s slowly taking care of itself. Meanwhile, we won in the Orange Bowl, never trailed, and finished an 11-2 season with a NY6 bowl win.

And Miami got shut out by an AAC team. Now go Sun Devils!

Go Gators
    Happy New Year

• Best Post Ever Best Post Ever x 1
  12. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    He can make a living catching passes out of the backfield like Bernard used to do in Cincinnati.

13. ETGator1

ETGator1 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    with the exception of the uva backdoor cover, the game was what i was expecting. uva had 3 weeks to prepare to show they were not as bad as they played against clemson. to prepare mysel for what to expect, i went to youtube and watched uva beat vt. i knew uva wasn't going to allow uf or anybody else to blow them out for a second game. uf could have played better so not to allow the backdoor cover at 36-21, but uva wasn't going to denied a feel good ending to the game, a moral victory. 80 of uva's 360 total yards came on that late game drive so the d didn't play as bad as many are saying plus we completely shutdown the potent uva running game. to me, minus injuries to greenard and zuniga, we could still be playing.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. filamg8torfan

filamg8torfan GC Legend

Mar 17, 2019
    21 wins. Only Urban had more wins in his first 2 seasons as the gators head coach.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. number1

number1 NBN Bracket Master

Oct 9, 2011
    When they were previewing the game, it certainly looked like he was limping a little in the pre-game warm-ups. Who knows, maybe I was looking too much into it.

16. number1

Oct 9, 2011
    I mean his 100% focus would be on our defense. He wouldn't have to be concerned with anything else. As head coach, he had to worry about every other aspect of the team. Some coaches can do both successfully and some can't.

17. number1

Oct 9, 2011
    I agree that a lot of Virginia's big yards came on unbelievable throws and catches that they probably didn't make during the season. I prefer having their QB make miracle escapes and throws than letting him run wild on our defense.

Trask had 300 yards passing on an off-night. And while Virginia played us tough, we were pretty much in control of the game all night. Like someone said earlier, they were out to show that they were much better than what they showed against Clemson.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Pnick81

Pnick81 All American

Feb 1, 2015
    And we seemed to overrun a lot of plays and slip trying to recover.

19. Skink

Skink GC Hall of Fame

And look what he inherited from Zook

• Like Like x 1
  20. DieAGator

DieAGator GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    Yup, which makes Mullen and Spurrier so amazing.