Welcome home, fellow Gator.

The Gator Nation's oldest and most active insider community
Join today!

Orange and Blue Game Memories...

Discussion in 'RayGator's Swamp Gas' started by shelbygt350, Apr 18, 2020.

1. shelbygt350

shelbygt350 GC Hall of Fame

Apr 3, 2007
    So since there is none today, I'll revisit some of my memories of past O&B games.

Back eons ago when our rugged Lber Glenn Cameron played, he got in a fight with DB John Clifford (not known to be a scary guy)...which brought the coaches and players onto the field. It was faked to scare the coaches, big prank.

Then there were the Pell games in which the loser ate beans and hot dogs and the winners got steak.

The Tebow debut in 2006, which got a huge crowd to see this Wonder Boy play football. I can still see him running in that game.

The Dallas Baker All World O&B games that make him look like he was Jerry Rice.

Then there was some highly touted DE from out west, a transfer pass rusher named I think Chris Martin, who looked real good, yet disappeared shortly thereafter into the time warp worm hole of football.

Danny vs Eric Kresser. I picked Kresser as a better player, which is why I can only spell football as a word.

2005- Yeqr 1 of Urban and the Circle of Life at mid field.

Any specific game memories that are interesting or humorous???

• Like Like x 1
  2. GatorBowl1969

GatorBowl1969 Sophomore

Jul 4, 2011
    The last 2 Spring Games. I said it then and believe that I have been proven (for once) correct. Kyle Trask looked like the best QB on the roster. Would love to know why CDM had him sitting behind Franks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Gatuar

Gatuar GC Hall of Fame

Oct 9, 2008
    Ponte Vedra Beach
    When Shane Matthews emerged from obscurity to starter in 1990...was that spring game played in Jax for some reason?

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Crusher

Crusher GC Hall of Fame

Apr 19, 2007
    NEZ stands construction, I think.

5. blackbird68

blackbird68 VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    SOS’s first year and I believe they were replacing Doug’s rug at Florida Field. I remember thinking all is right again in the world: real grass, blue uniforms and SOS back in Gainesville.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. uftaipan

uftaipan GC Hall of Fame

May 31, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    That is the Spring Game I will remember above all others. Birth of the Fun n’ Gun.

• Like Like x 1
  7. og8trz

og8trz VIP Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Two for me; 1984, a redshirt freshman, 8th string QB with the neat name of Kerwin Bell came in.

He went 2-2 with a TD pass. I remember thinking too bad he will never play! He is still one of my favorite Gators of all time!

I don’t remember the year or WR’s name, but he went wild in the O&B game. We found out he was suspended from UF & he transferred to FAMU.

Can anyone remember his name & the year?

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. oragator1

oragator1 Premium Member

Apr 3, 2007
    Yeah 1990 immediately came to mind. I as a student...game was played in Jax, first view of SOS’s offense...it was also right after Dr Lombardi was hired, he stayed and talked to me and my roommate for probably ten minutes, then said he had to (and I think I am remembering this quote right) “go schmooz with some big wigs”, and was off.

9. rustygator79

rustygator79 Freshman

May 29, 2011
    Ian Skinner was the WR that did well in the OB game and transferred. For me, especially since Mullen got here, I love the spring game more and more. I've been to spring games off and on since the Spurrier era but usually the weather is great, the town isn't too crowded and there is great access for pics with the players during/after the game. A great excuse to get to Hogtown at a great time of year. One of my favorite events of the year, too bad it couldn't happen this year